Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Olympics in London

Comments

Ahhh, nothing like gloating over accomplishments I had no part in.
  • So what do people from countries outside Great Britain think of the Opening/Closing ceremonies?

p.s - fuck yeah The Who
  • who are they? :P
  • I loved the opening and closing ceremonies. some of it only the Britt got, but I loved it either way. especially the opening ceremonies. I'm just glad they didn't let Beckham carry the torch in lol
  • I disagree, the training behind having multiple events is completely different than just Water polo, or even weightlifting in most cases. I think the swimmers work even harder for it. Just because they compete in multiple events and or have the ability to doesn't mean that it should be discredited. Think of it this way, if i can do x-y-z and jim bob down the street can only compete in w, then I am willing to say that one of them is a far more versatile athlete than the other.
    Its quite a lot easier to become a beast at different forms swimming when you are already an olympic swimmer. Its not as easy to master Tennis when you are a basketball player. See the difference?
  • I disagree, the training behind having multiple events is completely different than just Water polo, or even weightlifting in most cases. I think the swimmers work even harder for it. Just because they compete in multiple events and or have the ability to doesn't mean that it should be discredited. Think of it this way, if i can do x-y-z and jim bob down the street can only compete in w, then I am willing to say that one of them is a far more versatile athlete than the other.
    Its quite a lot easier to become a beast at different forms swimming when you are already an olympic swimmer. Its not as easy to master Tennis when you are a basketball player. See the difference?
    there is a difference between the two? o.O
  • Yeah I get your point zeal.

And yes cory, in one sport, the ball goes over the net, not in it.

P.S. The only thing you canadians proved this year was that you can decorate a building better than the rest of the world.
  • The value of a gold is also pretty watered down, people like Phelps deserve props for being decorated Olympians but by no means are they the best. Swimmers get z stupid amount of events to compete in, so its almost like whoever has the best swimmers wins the Olympics.

If every athlete had the same number of events, I would value medal counts more.
    yea I agree, swimming is overrated in the Olympics.
    the US got almost half the gold in the swimming category which really helped them in the gold medal count
    I loved the opening and closing ceremonies. some of it only the Britt got, but I loved it either way. especially the opening ceremonies. I'm just glad they didn't let Beckham carry the torch in lol
    yea the ceremonies were interesting but it wasn't as international as I expected it to be. best of luck to Brazil 2016!
  • if the closing ceremonies showed us anything about Brazil, none of us are going to understand anything happening lol. I'm exited to see what Russia will do.
  • Our funding for summer olympics is so pathetic, its like they dont even want to win medals haha. Im happy with being a bronze collector and dominating winter sports though :)
  • well the government needs to step up if they want a better showing then they got, simple as
  • Is amazing how badly London is presenting this thing. From tossing up the wrong flag for a country to basically stripping a contender of a gold/silver medal because of their own screw up. Personally don't play to watch any more of the olympics.
    I heard about the flag, but what happened with the medal? the Canadian equestrian?
  • random emo showing up?
  • the Korean fencer who lost her gold because the German fencer got a full second back?

but yea this Olympics had a lot of screw-ups :(
  • edited August 2012
    Not really when you consider the scale of the thing. 1 or 2 little things are to be expected. On the whole it went well.
    Personally don't play to watch any more of the olympics.
    You cant watch anymore anyway haha

edit - wouldnt the fencing thing be down to the judges?
  • edited August 2012
    The Olympic panel can override the judges
  • ah to hell with all the hate, I think we did a pretty amazing job. before this started i fully expected it to be a total disaster, most things we do are, but i was pleasantly surprised. the rest of the world can see that even a crappy little country like us can still do things right. good luck to Brazil, Ill be impressed if they can top us. and congrats to USA, impressive as always
  • I thought the closing ceremony sucked somewhat.

Lol @ the David Bowie slide show after he turned down the gig. Lol @ the Spice Girls reunion and Take That. Lol @ Russell Brand lip syncing I Am The Walrus. Lol @ the Katy Perry clone.

But beyond the closing ceremonies, the worthiest lols go to Team USA, who played "Born In The USA" after winning the Gold. Has anyone even read the lyrics?
  • Spice girls are, mostly, still sexy as fuck.
  • I thought the closing ceremony sucked somewhat.

Lol @ the David Bowie slide show after he turned down the gig. Lol @ the Spice Girls reunion and Take That. Lol @ Russell Brand lip syncing I Am The Walrus. Lol @ the Katy Perry clone.

But beyond the closing ceremonies, the worthiest lols go to Team USA, who played "Born In The USA" after winning the Gold. Has anyone even read the lyrics?
    London Calling?
  • Closing ceremony was shit. Rio's presentation was better. Looked like London ran outta money...and ideas, for the closing ceremony. The opening already had music history, no need to see Jessie (no talent) J and Spice (so last last decade) Girls strolling around.

Only the Who is worth watching...

Ahhh, nothing like gloating over accomplishments I had no part in.
    Funny that...Britain has Freedom and China trounced them, and all the other 'Freedom loving' countries.

Not boasting or anything but its got nothing to do with Freedom...its just which country has the biggest political pull that gets the most medals...just like which Football Club gets the most biased and advantageous decisions (Man Utd).
  • Olympics... Summer first..

USA: 46/29/29 = 104
    CHINA: 38/27/23 = 88
    UK: 29/17/19 = 65

CHINA: 51/21/28 = 100
    USA: 36/38/36 = 110
    RUSSIA: 23/21/29 = 73

USA: 34/39/27=100
    CHINA: 32/17/14=63
    RUSSIA: 28/26/38=92
    Winter..

CANADA: 15/7/5 = 26
    GERMANY: 10/13/7 = 30
    USA: 9/15/13 = 37

GERMANY: 11/12/6 = 29
    USA: 9/9/7 = 25
    AUSTRIA: 9/7/7 = 23

NORWAY: 13/5/7=25
    GERMANY: 12/16/8=36
    USA: 10/13/11=34
    Alright here we go, the last 10 years worth of Olympics. USA is first twice, China once, Canada once, Norway once, Germany once. Although truth be told US is in top 3 every Olympic while China is only top 3 in the summer olympics. Then lets compare this to say highschool sports. The small 2a school has X(200-700) people to choose from to build a team. A private 2a school has Y(unknown) amount of people to choose to invite to the school to improve their team. There is a numbers conflict here. Although China is sending the same number of people they have like what.. 2 billion population to recruit from? And even then the US which is a freedom loving country has kicked their ass each year. EXCEPT the year it was hosted in China (Hmmm something smells fishy aye)

Theres nothing fishy retard. USA has more money and more sway in results. They also have the best advancements in steroids and drugs that can bypass tests.
  • lmao oh right because money controls how good athletes compete lol
    Jamaica seems wealthy enough to pay for the gold in sprinting oh and i bet the USA paid millions of money to win the basketball..... no they are just good money has no say in it moron.
  • yes yes, USA is mad pro for medals, but lets look at it another way. GB has a population of around 60 million, USA has a population of around 310 million (i think), so statistically you should be getting over 5 times as many medals as us, which you dont, so the best country in the world is obviously us :P

the only real fail is china with 1.2 billion people, should statistically be owning us all
  • yes yes, USA is mad pro for medals, but lets look at it another way. GB has a population of around 60 million, USA has a population of around 310 million (i think), so statistically you should be getting over 5 times as many medals as us, which you dont, so the best country in the world is obviously us :P

the only real fail is china with 1.2 billion people, should statistically be owning us all
    Yeh, endofdays is just showing his shit logic. Population has nothing to do with performance. Its the importance of certain sports and their national funding and recognition that matters. In China no one gives a toss about anything other than Table Tennis, Badminton and Volleyball and for those who care about stuff like Football, Basketball, they only appreciate the spectacle rather than play as theres no funding/facilities to do so. Where my relatives are in Beijing, theres not even a green park anywhere to play football, the only park restricts going onto the grass.

So endofdays, keep your western superiority statements to yourself and consider other people who are less fortunate than yourself.
  • edited August 2012
    Actually, funding has a lot to do with how you train. Have you ever been in a really nice facility as opposed to one you built in your garage? Ive seen the difference firsthand between money and no money. Might not apply ro every sport, but for some it is a monumental advantage.

Funding is a big wild card, but population also factors in. Canada's pool of athletes, for example, is miniscule when compared to USA. It skews the stats a bit as if China and USA werent in tops, something would be wrong.

USA prides themselves on it though so I would say they are more likely to win anyway. Its like wondering why black people are the fastest runners. They want it more, and train harder. All the slow ones are in jail.

• I heard in China, the players managers determine when you retire, you dont have a say in it haha. They also get paid to train for 10 hours a day i think it was?
  • I heard in China, the players managers determine when you retire, you dont have a say in it haha. They also get paid to train for 10 hours a day i think it was?
    Yeah Zeal its not players managers, its the government officials. And players are kicked out and left in limbo with no employment or education if they dont meet the grade. Its very saddening. They train also more than 10 hours a day, and often 7 days a week. But if you succeed, you are guaranteed a good life...but its not like 1.4bil of us have any say in it.
  • lews nobody gives a shit. your not even Chinese your English