Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Olympics in London

Comments

• You know, I am kind of curious how much money the athletes who win for North Korea get to keep.
  • You know, I am kind of curious how much money the athletes who win for North Korea get to keep.
    Im guessing a couple of food stamps
  • lol was he a priest?

so your actually good at cricket are you?
    Yes, its fun to play. Shit to watch.
    Im guessing a couple of food stamps
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnclarke/2012/08/03/freedom-of-choice-for-north-koreans-at-london-olympics-win-and-get-a-refrigerator-or-lose-and-go-to-work-camp/

lol they get a refrigerator
  • lol Brits get 0 xP not even a refrigerator
  • lol was he a priest?

T20 and OIC are the only i can watch Tests are boring.
    And you a Batter or a Bowler?
  • lol was he a priest?

T20 and OIC are the only i can watch Tests are boring.
    And you a Batter or a Bowler?
    Batter and fielder. Due to my tennis, I can't play badminton, or throw very well anymore as it puts too much strain on my wrists and i need my wrists for tennis which is more about the arm action.
  • I used to be a bowler. I also used to play Squash wasn't very good at Tennis id rather smack the hell out of a ball lol
  • I used to be a bowler. I also used to play Squash wasn't very good at Tennis id rather smack the hell out of a ball lol
    Hate squash. Love Tennis now, fucking addictive. Playing club matches and will get my British LTA number and registration (and ranking ;))

If any of ya'll in UK play, I'll challenge you. I'll wait for you outside furniture village with my racket, and if you don't turn up, I'll rant on PFs about how awesome I am.
  • I love tennis, but I fucking suck at it in comparison to many others haha. Definitely a fun sport though. On that note who the fuck does Murray think he is?
  • I quit Squash too many broken rackets lol
    Its so much more demanding than Tennis not down playing Tennis or anything i work to much now days to play sport :(
  • I love tennis, but I fucking suck at it in comparison to many others haha. Definitely a fun sport though. On that note who the fuck does Murray think he is?
    He thinks he's Federer...until Federer turns round and points him to the Winners board.
  • isnt it funny that i smash you for six in cricket and sk lews

@LewsTherin
  • isnt it funny that i smash you for six in cricket and sk lews

@LewsTherin
    I'm a batter....I dont bowl for sixes.
  • I been outta the game for a few years but I'd still knock your stumps over :p
  • Gonna be interesting to see if the refs give the gold to the US womens soccer team or not! At least canada got the bronze though, people said they wouldnt even come close.
  • havent read any of the above chat, i got bored with the mild racism, so sorry if this has been said

Team GB FTW, tiny population compared to most other countries and we owned these games, rank 3! woooo!
  • Rank by Gold Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    1United States of America46 29 29 104
    2People's Republic of China38 27 22 87

More Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Total

Game Over
  • edited August 2012
    Ahem.

• edited August 2012
    Rank by Gold Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    1United States of America46 29 29 104
    2People's Republic of China38 27 22 87

More Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Total

Game Over
    USA has won the Olympics many times. On the other hand, China has only made their first noticeable appearance at the Olympics in 1984 (due to the issues with Taiwan) and in 24 years, have already done better than the US (however, they had the advantage of being the host nation). overall, China still had a huge success this Olympics and so did other East Asian countries (South Korea, Japan).
  • What do you mean better in 24 year?

You mean won more in their first 24 years versus more than the U.S. in it's first 24 years?

Two different time periods... that's a very incongruent comparison.
  • china started in 1984 and won in terms of gold by 2008 (24 years)
  • Y u Not understand what he be sayin?
  • edited August 2012
    Oh well excuse me. Did you know shooting was an event at the first modern Olympics in 1896? Did you also know that some of the early Olympics had a mixed team with members from multiple nations. That first Olympics also had "One-armed Weightlifting" as an event.

The Olympics have changed a lot. But think about it - it's changed way more drastically (as far as types of competitions) during the earliest ones. Also, the breadth that sport was seriously pursued as a way of live for people has grown drastically through the last century, especially as the flow of information grew.

To make a simpler parallel, how many Kenyan's do you think ran the NYC Marathon in 1960? How many run today? The history of major sporting as you flow back in time seems to hinge substantially on circumstance and knowledge as much as skill and training, and as technology modernized, so did professional athleticism.
  • edited August 2012
    P.S.: I'm not trying to shit on China here - quite the opposite. I'm trying to posit that there's a much more defined and plannable method to creating a top quality Olympic team in more recent decades.
  • The value of a gold is also pretty watered down, people like Phelps deserve props for being decorated Olympians but by no means are they the best. Swimmers get z stupid amount of events to compete in, so its almost like whoever has the best swimmers wins the Olympics.

If every athlete had the same number of events, I would value medal counts more.
  • edited August 2012
    I disagree, the training behind having multiple events is completely different than just Water polo, or even weightlifting in most cases. I think the swimmers work even harder for it. Just because they compete in multiple events and or have the ability to doesn't mean that it should be discredited. Think of it this way, if i can do x-y-z and jim bob down the street can only compete in w, then I am willing to say that one of them is a far more versatile athlete than the other.