Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Olympics in London

Comments

• Vancouver 2010 FTW!!! amazing opening and closing ceremony!
  • It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.
    Hardly the grand scope though, is it? Its a chance to show-off your country, make it appealing and such. The scale that Beijing worked on was over the top, kinda puts London to shame. That's not to say that London failed, but they didn't match up in my opinion.

Some are more prone to spending extra if it means a better show, as we see the contrast between 2008-2012.

I agree Beijing really went above and beyond what ppl expected from the Olympics which would make any successor look bad.
    China had something to prove and England didnt. Not to mention both were done in different economic times, not including that China has/had waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to spend than the UK does.

What China did was over the top and grand for sure, but like said they wanted to make a statement, but this is also the same country that intentionally flooded the homes of several million people and destroyed historical sites just for one damn. To compare what they did for the opening games in a way isnt fair to both. Neither gave less effort, or cared less, they werent able to do the same thing. China has the ability to flatten entire parts of a city to build brand new grand stadiums and transportation just for the Olympics, but is that really practical in London today? No.

I give it an A performance.
    I had expected this type of post to come. Critical of China's political system/government...blahblahblah, human rights, blah blah blah, eat dog....blah blah blah, corruption. Its a sporting event, try and leave politics out of it when you can't even sort out your own system. We all know China has problems...but so does every other country.
    You missed the point blah blah blah... blah blah blah. No where was I critical of their government. I was simply saying the UK couldnt do on such a grand scale what China did but that doesnt make one better.

I did miss spell Dam though :(
    Not really, considering you put a political agenda into your post, about how China floods its citizens, implying human rights issues in behind the facade of Olympic spectacularity.
  • I think Lews just wants something to argue about so he can increase his post counts
  • Yay, Britain got a Silver and a Bronze. :)
  • AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!
    OI OI OI!
    pshhh... you nubs never even hosted an Olympics yet!

Hur dur 1956 and 2000
    Where were you for Sydney? lol
    Yea im going to be taking my OI OI OI's back since Australia are choking on water penis's -.- fucking Relay team i hope you can feel the hate and rage being directed at you right now! THATS WHY YOU SHOULDNT BE COCKY ASSHOLES!
    Wat. You won't find someone who loves Canada more than I do, but we bombed raising those four posts for the torch, that shit was embarrassing. Then we threw Nickelback up as a headliner? DA FUQ
  • Im surprised there wasnt a flood of old woman juices with Michael Buble :/
    Wat. You won't find someone who loves Canada more than I do, but we bombed raising those four posts for the torch, that shit was embarrassing. Then we threw Nickelback up as a headliner? DA FUQ
    so we had one blip in the system with the posts and NB prolly wasnt the best choice for a band, but everything else at the 2010 opening and closing was spectacular. Like Katy Lang singing... gave me chills and i cant even remember the song titles lmao
  • edited July 2012
    any bets on top 5? xP
  • China
    Russia
    America
    England
    Some African country
  • It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.
    Hardly the grand scope though, is it? Its a chance to show-off your country, make it appealing and such. The scale that Beijing worked on was over the top, kinda puts London to shame. That's not to say that London failed, but they didn't match up in my opinion.

Some are more prone to spending extra if it means a better show, as we see the contrast between 2008-2012.

I agree Beijing really went above and beyond what ppl expected from the Olympics which would make any successor look bad.
    China had something to prove and England didnt. Not to mention both were done in different economic times, not including that China has/had waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to spend than the UK does.

What China did was over the top and grand for sure, but like said they wanted to make a statement, but this is also the same country that intentionally flooded the homes of several million people and destroyed historical sites just for one damn. To compare what they did for the opening games in a way isnt fair to both. Neither gave less effort, or cared less, they werent able to do the same thing. China has the ability to flatten entire parts of a city to build brand new grand stadiums and transportation just for the Olympics, but is that really practical in London today? No.

I give it an A performance.
    I had expected this type of post to come. Critical of China's political system/government...blahblahblah, human rights, blah blah blah, eat dog....blah blah blah, corruption. Its a sporting event, try and leave politics out of it when you can't even sort out your own system. We all know China has problems...but so does every other country.
    You missed the point blah blah blah... blah blah blah. No where was I critical of their government. I was simply saying the UK couldnt do on such a grand scale what China did but that doesnt make one better.

I did miss spell Dam though :(
    Not really, considering you put a political agenda into your post, about how China floods its citizens, implying human rights issues in behind the facade of Olympic spectacularity.
    So then I can never talk about public works projects that involve imminent domain without implying some sort of political agenda?

Quit using fallacies.
    Nope. Its a sporting event, bask in the glory of sporting achievements and for 2 weeks forget the woes of the world.
  • China
    Russia
    America
    England
    Some African country
    China
    Russia
    America
    Australia
    Italy
  • Yeh i do agree overall Campbell it was an excellent ceremony, both closing and opening. And the events were pretty unreal too. I just wish it had gone smoother :)

So stoked for Sochi, ive never bought tickets for Olympics bt im gonna look into that, going to be a stellar games.
  • Btw are we saying medals in total or golds in total. Cos the table is usually charted by golds. China had most golds last olympics but US had the most medals. Cos if we meant it by medal totals, then I'd put US ahead of China.
  • I'm gonna go for a outlandish guess xP
    China
    America
    Russia
    Both Koreas
  • Btw are we saying medals in total or golds in total. Cos the table is usually charted by golds. China had most golds last olympics but US had the most medals. Cos if we meant it by medal totals, then I'd put US ahead of China.
    I thought it was total medals, but each medal is weighted by place (like a gold medal is worth 1.5x a silver or some crap.)
  • why is there like 4 different Germanys?
    if you add all the Germanys together, they scored higher than USSR lol
    but that list is old stuff anyways lol
  • why is there like 4 different Germanys?
    if you add all the Germanys together, they scored higher than USSR lol
    but that list is old stuff anyways lol
    Lol you can't be serious....look up modern history.
  • http://www.olympic.it/english/medal

OVERALL MEDALS GOLD SILVER BRONZE TOTAL
    1 United States of America 1018 824 710 2552
    2 USSR 473 376 355 1204
    3 Germany 232 235 251 718
    4 Italy 227 189 211 627
    5 Great Britain 217 258 262 737

'MERICA, FUCK YEAH!

us > rest of the world.
    America:

Home of the sore losers and arrogant winners.
  • I dont blame Lews for always defending China, nobody likes havin their country shit on. Thankfully the things people insult Canada about don't matter to me :D
  • I dont blame Lews for always defending China, nobody likes havin their country shit on. Thankfully the things people insult Canada about don't matter to me :D
    we just took another silver in womens 8 rowing
    Zeal isnt a hater, he is correct that no one likes being insulted about their country. I dont mind however if people say things that are true, but for some stuff such as the swimming, just cos a Chinese swam faster than an American, it then becomes cheating?

For the badminton, I know it was bad sportsmanship, but it wasn't the fault of the players as it was just tactical to not play that hard for a match that doesnt mean anything. It is a farce that the organisers had a stupid round robin system where the other match in the group had been decided a day earlier leading to potential manipulation. Also in F1, Barrichelo let Schumacher win a lot, often deliberately. In football (soccer), teams fielded weaker teams when they knew they had already qualified to the next round.

They should have just had knock out badminton instead, like the tennis. Lose and you're out. If you watch any sport in the Olympics now, when another team scores a point against China, there is massive cheering, but when the Chinese player scores a point, theres muted silence.
    Pretty good for Canada, considering Winter olympics is more your thing.
    Pretty good for Canada, considering Winter olympics is more your thing.
    yeah we normally do well in rowing for some reason lol, just waiting to see what medal our girls play for in badminton, they made the semis because your teams were dq'd lol
  • Im a badminton player and I was totally raged to see the shit that went on, couldn't believe it. I just wouldn't have expected to see professional players behaving in such a disrespectful and cowardly manner at such a prestigious tournament, and even worse, they genuinely thought they could get away with it! glad to see them disqualified and integrity return to the tournament.

also, on a side note, GBs charge up the medal table seems to be taking shape, about time
  • I have to say, doesnt matter what sport ylu play, you should show some class. I agree exerting yourself for nothing is silly, but they went a bit far haha