Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Olympics in London

edited July 2012 in General
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

looks like China's making the lead xD
surprised Great Britain hasn't gotten a single medal yet despite being the host country, meanwhile North Korea even has a medal LOL
and Italy won all the fencing medals so far... O_o

Comments

• We always do..........South korea is doing terrible too.
  • Only watched a bit of tennis, swimming and beach ball. Love women's beach v ball :)
  • Tennis was good, shame about the disgusting organisers and their sickening sponsorship backpocketing...so much empty 'corporate' seats...when people like me cant even get a seat. And not willing to dosh out £250 for a 1hr 30mins session...
  • Someone want to explain how they have only given out 38 medals at this point?
    it just started a day ago lol
  • Was it me or were there a few empty seats at the Opening Ceremony? I sat there thinking they could've given those seats to the local community, who had to put up with all the crap while they were building it all. And yes, it was bad. I live just a few miles away from the stadium.

Go Team GB!
  • I thought so too, but when they zoomed in, it looked like those lights were made to "cover" the audience. On closeups you could see the LED squares almost touching the people lol, I imagine it was pretty jam packed.

Either way, it didn't hold a candle to 2008
  • I agree. The London one had its moments (Most notably the converging of the Olympic rings & the lighting of the Olympic flame) but I still have a HD copy of the Beijing Olympics on my external HDD, watched it earlier today to compare, and the Chinese did it so much better. I pretty much watched their whole Olympic Ceremony all over again because I was so mesmerized by it! :)

Well, at least it was better than I thought it would be. I was half expecting red Double-Decker buses going around in circles for 3 hours with Boris perched up on top of one of them singing:

The wheels on the bus go round and round
    Round and round, round and round
    All day long.

For 3 fucking hours..
  • It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.
    I get that, but considering 3 medals are handed out per event, how is it that the number 38 comes into play? You can't divide 38 by 3.
  • It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.
    I got the chance to listen to NPR early saturday morning. When they sounded Big Ben. From what I heard though, it sounds as if they went way over budget. I know the Olympics made a ton of cash off of my business though. We got an exclusive deal for broadcasting on our vessel's.
    I got the chance to listen to NPR early saturday morning. When they sounded Big Ben. From what I heard though, it sounds as if they went way over budget. I know the Olympics made a ton of cash off of my business though. We got an exclusive deal for broadcasting on our vessel's.
    Well I guess they poorly managed their spending then if that is the case. The idea is to spend as little as possible while racking in as much revenue as they can.
  • Even then, BILLIONS will be made. Hotels, instantly booked. Restaurants filled. Transportation of all kind is packed. I know every one of my european vessel's are filled over 100% capacity right now. All because they dock in England. It's a great thing for any country.
    I get that, but considering 3 medals are handed out per event, how is it that the number 38 comes into play? You can't divide 38 by 3.
    There were 14 bronze medals handed out today, 12 gold, 12 silver. I wonder where the extra two came from, I've never heard of a tie before.
  • Darubian, can I ask what your business involves? :)
    Hardly the grand scope though, is it? Its a chance to show-off your country, make it appealing and such. The scale that Beijing worked on was over the top, kinda puts London to shame. That's not to say that London failed, but they didn't match up in my opinion.

Some are more prone to spending extra if it means a better show, as we see the contrast between 2008-2012.

• In boxing, judo, taekwondo, and wrestling, two bronze medals are awarded in each weight class.
  • edited July 2012
    It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.
    Hardly the grand scope though, is it? Its a chance to show-off your country, make it appealing and such. The scale that Beijing worked on was over the top, kinda puts London to shame. That's not to say that London failed, but they didn't match up in my opinion.

Some are more prone to spending extra if it means a better show, as we see the contrast between 2008-2012.

I agree Beijing really went above and beyond what ppl expected from the Olympics which would make any successor look bad.
  • edited July 2012
    Darubian, can I ask what your business involves? :)
    I work as a travel agent for High End repeat clientele, basically, im a whale hunter. I evaluate expense accounts aboard cruise ships and make people who spend gobs of money extremely happy. For little to no cost for the cruise line I represent. Somewhat like a person who works for a "loyalty" program for a credit card. Except I could care less how many times you have been with the company, or how many "points" you have, I am only concerned with the amount of money you spend.

Quick Edit: And no, my job does not seem to pay me nearly enough for what I put up with for "well to do" folk. But I do enjoy the work.
  • Read: I'm a man-bitch.
  • So, how much testosterone is China's female powerlifting team taking. Throwing down the bar and just screaming.
  • I agree. The London one had its moments (Most notably the converging of the Olympic rings & the lighting of the Olympic flame) but I still have a HD copy of the Beijing Olympics on my external HDD, watched it earlier today to compare, and the Chinese did it so much better. I pretty much watched their whole Olympic Ceremony all over again because I was so mesmerized by it! :)

Well, at least it was better than I thought it would be. I was half expecting red Double-Decker buses going around in circles for 3 hours with Boris perched up on top of one of them singing:

Round and round, round and round
    All day long.

For 3 fucking hours..
    I actually felt the British one was amazing too.....couldnt really compare ours with the British one, they were both spectacular in different ways. We (Chinese) always want to showcase our history and our current wealth, whereas the British one celebrated modern British history. The chimneys and the scenes I loved mainly because it was very cinematic. It went a bit too 'geeky' towards the end with the texting etc which I sorta didnt like but it was well executed. The film cameos of Bond and Bean worked well as it got people talking and were surreptitiously hiding its endorsement of Skyfall.....lol

• So, how much testosterone is China's female powerlifting team taking. Throwing down the bar and just screaming.
    Why just China? All those in weightlifting take some form of performance enhancement drugs...its just the one with the best drugs that cannot be detected that gets gold. In essence, the gold is for the scientists who developed the drug :P
  • edited July 2012
    It's all one big expense and if the British managed to make it look good without spending as much sounds like they got the better deal.

I agree Beijing really went above and beyond what ppl expected from the Olympics which would make any successor look bad.
    China had something to prove and England didnt. Not to mention both were done in different economic times, not including that China has/had waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to spend than the UK does.

What China did was over the top and grand for sure, but like said they wanted to make a statement, but this is also the same country that intentionally flooded the homes of several million people and destroyed historical sites just for one damn. To compare what they did for the opening games in a way isnt fair to both. Neither gave less effort, or cared less, they werent able to do the same thing. China has the ability to flatten entire parts of a city to build brand new grand stadiums and transportation just for the Olympics, but is that really practical in London today? No.

I give it an A performance.
    I had expected this type of post to come. Critical of China's political system/government...blahblahblah, human rights, blah blah blah, eat dog....blah blah blah, corruption. Its a sporting event, try and leave politics out of it when you can't even sort out your own system. We all know China has problems...but so does every other country.
  • AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!
    OI OI OI!
  • The opening ceremony was brilliant from my point of view, but im Scottish. We had a few people over to watch and everyone there agreed that it was a celebration of everything that british people love, but the rest of the world probably wouldnt really "get" most of the best references. I mean, there was a reference to "gregorys girl", which is scottish film from 1981 (i think) with an almost cult like status. I seriously doubt that half the british audience spotted that, let alone other nationalities
  • The opening ceremony was brilliant from my point of view, but im Scottish. We had a few people over to watch and everyone there agreed that it was a celebration of everything that british people love, but the rest of the world probably wouldnt really "get" most of the best references. I mean, there was a reference to "gregorys girl", which is scottish film from 1981 (i think) with an almost cult like status. I seriously doubt that half the british audience spotted that, let alone other nationalities
    Haha I got the gregorys girl bit and most of the film clips shown....and I'm Chinese...then again I also adore film and filmmaking...
  • I enjoy filmmaking too ...... with your mum ;)
  • edited July 2012
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!
    OI OI OI!
    nvm
  • edited July 2012
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!
    OI OI OI!
    pshhh... you nubs never even hosted an Olympics yet!

Hur dur 1956 and 2000