Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsroom

Comments

• It knows it has more torque than I do, it rarely listens :(

I have to choke the bitch every once in a while by clogging the tailpipe.

• Assuming time can be physically measured is the same as assuming emotion can be physically measured.

Assuming time can be traveled is like assuming you can travel four feet in one inch.

It is "theoretically" impossible for an object to arrive to a location without first being put into motion.

It would have to exist twice for that to be possible, and that would involve creating matter/mass without destroying it.

On another line of thought, the future/past would have to be present in order to travel to it. By definition the future does not yet exist and the past no longer exists, only the present is the present.

You can't go slower than 0 miles per hour.

I could come up with a million more random thoughts that help prove that it is not possible to travel "within" time.

Just because we can imagine it does not mean it's possible.

I'm pretty sure random thoughts aren't allowed to "prove" anything. :P

In regards to 4'/1" thing... Wormholes anyone? Hypothetically, of course.

On the other hand, I think current physics argues that time really is a thing, not just an arbitrary measurement. Not a physical thing, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing. Our designations and unit lengths are arbitrary of course, but it's hard to argue that there was a past, and that a future has continued to come to pass thus far. Maybe they do Exist and we're just too limited to see them because our minds are trapped in one progressing moment.

Although thinking of that, I did know one wanna-be philosopher from sk who argued that there is not past/present/future at all, and it's all an illusion because we're created and destroyed in a single instant, and everything we think of as the past is merely a chance arrangement of particles, etc. he was serious... but he was also seriously high. :P
  • edited November 2011
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/g20-gaffe-obama-sarkozy-netanyahu_n_1081395.html

"I cannot stand him," Mr. Sarkozy was quoted as saying. "He is a liar."

Mr. Obama is reported to have replied, "You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him every day!"
  • For scientology: Look at the double slit experiment, electrons are particles as well as waves, yet the outcome of the experiment can be altered by merely putting an observer in the room, regardless of whether or not they have any idea what is going on or what is supposed to happen. Where is the logic in that.

For Sindustry: While this back and forth is entertaining it is also fruitless. You cannot prove time travel is not possible, i cannot prove time travel is possible. I am sure if either of us could there would be a nobel prize in it. We are always travelling from the past and we are always travelling into the future. To say that the past and the future do not exist is crazy. The present is just a frame of reference. Without the past there is no cause and without the future there is no effect. Just because you do not imagine time travel is not possible it does not mean that it isnt. Humankind has a very limited understanding of the universe, and as individuals the understanding gets even more limited. I am not saying it is possible, I am merely saying there are many things we have thought were not possible previously that we have achieved and to rule it out completely would be silly.
  • Also on electrons if I recall correct when theyrotate they need to spin 2x before u see the same spot, learned in highschool chem if I remember correct

And also time is just a counting system, we count our rotations around the sun with it and keep track of appointments with it, nothing more....or is there?
  • http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/g20-gaffe-obama-sarkozy-netanyahu_n_1081395.html

"I cannot stand him," Mr. Sarkozy was quoted as saying. "He is a liar."

Mr. Obama is reported to have replied, "You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him every day!"
    This guy seems to have no end of these embarrassing little things when it comes to foreign affairs. I remember discussing some of them with Gagazet when he was first elected.

• And also time is just a counting system, we count our rotations around the sun with it and keep track of appointments with it, nothing more....or is there?
    We do have a counting system, however that is just our personal measurement of time. Time as a scientific concept is something that exists independent of measurement or observation. It's a 4th dimension, more about the duration of existence where there are potential events in the future, they come to pass in the present, then pass into a state of finality in the past. Things change, one thing happens before another, this is time.
  • edited November 2011
    Have to admit that Sarkozy/Obama comment is more interesting than a Bush/Blair one that was overheard at some other conference a couple years back. I can't recall exactly what they said or when, but i think it was something to do with a giving/gifting a sweater?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8857154/Worlds-most-powerful-laser-to-tear-apart-the-vacuum-of-space.html

I can't wait too see how the doomsday panickers spin this one like they did the LHC and Y2K.

Here's a scary thought:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/11/vulnerabilities-give-hackers-ability-to-open-prison-cells-from-afar.ars
  • For electrons stone im not sure what you are trying to get at for sure. We can determine where electrons have been and where they could be. But in chemistry there is no exact determination of where an electron is, it is given more as a probability bubble of where they could be or where they could not be. They move much too fast and too freely to determine if or when they would ever pass in the same spot twice.

Our measurements of time are directly related to universal constants. One second is a set number of radiations of cesium 133, mostly because cesium 133 is so consistent in how it radiates. While we have expanded upon that system to make life management easier, it is not an arbitrary system only related to our orbiting the sun.

And sindustry you have your concept of the universe and i will not argue it because you speak of god our nature as some guiding force and if that is your belief nothing i can say can change that. But I look at it as more of an energy/potential thing. With enough energy available there is the potential do almost anything. I am not saying we will ever be able to generate that much energy without destroying ourselves but then again that leads down a philosophical road as well. But hey if we are actually able to make any real amounts of antimatter without annihilating the earth who knows what we can do?
  • Just shoot all them benefit frauds, then the UK would feel like such a sparsely populated country.
  • @ The dancing thief: Meh.

@ Woman who stole her bike back, this: Police also told Miss Lucas that, though her recovery mission was successful, it was not a tactic they recommend.

@ The seagull: Er, it's clearly not upside down, you can see it's feet below it's body. It's just the angle of the head...
  • negneg
    edited November 2011
    ^_^
  • I had that same thought about the seagull, but still a pretty cool pic either way. :) And maybe it did go upside down, and the pic was just too blurry or something. *shrug*
  • edited November 2011
    I suppose a secure location to house money but I can tell you I wouldn't invest it in a bank which has no interest rate when I could just keep it hidden at home.

Oh well I guess I am way behind and what I posted about was back on page 3 or something about banks with no interest.
  • What I love about science;
    Contrary to popular belief, a vacuum is not devoid of material but in fact fizzles with tiny mysterious particles that pop in and out of existence, but at speeds so fast that no one has been able to prove they exist.
    They present theory as fact while simultaneously saying they can't prove anything. I haven't actually heard of ghost particles before, but it sounds like a pretty cool thing to test out. Massive laser can't not be cool anyway. :P

Prison thing is definitely scary btw. I hope a fix in is the works...
  • I remember that article, though honestly it's not the worst case i've ever heard about game-rage spilling over to real life. There are plenty of other articles out there where people have been killed by raging gamers, though nothing as premeditated at that one though.

Also along that line:

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/11658365/your-serve-russian-military-takes-up-badminton/

"Playing badminton uses the same muscles as throwing grenades, knives or other objects,"

I would like to see proof of this..
  • What I love about science;
    Contrary to popular belief, a vacuum is not devoid of material but in fact fizzles with tiny mysterious particles that pop in and out of existence, but at speeds so fast that no one has been able to prove they exist.
    They present theory as fact while simultaneously saying they can't prove anything. I haven't actually heard of ghost particles before, but it sounds like a pretty cool thing to test out. Massive laser can't not be cool anyway. :P

Massive laser is actually quite boring. My first job was in a lab using large green pulse yag lasers to hit atoms and try to hold them really still to study them. It was days of turn a little screw...look at readings on a monitor to see what range and how stable it was... do some math... make more adjustments and watch for more days. Occasionally something would blow up and you would have to rebuild it. Only time we had fun was when the bosses weren't around and we could throw crap like paper into the laser and watch it vaporize. One of the most boring jobs I had. Now if I could have shot a bird out of a tree with it then that would be a different story all together.
  • edited November 2011
    http://kotaku.com/5550609/man-spends-six-months-plotting-murder-of-counter+strike-rival
    Yea only 2 years for spending 6 months plotting to kill someone and stabbing them in the chest missing the heart by an inch. Sounds reasonable.

• Massive laser is actually quite boring. My first job was in a lab using large green pulse yag lasers to hit atoms and try to hold them really still to study them. It was days of turn a little screw...look at readings on a monitor to see what range and how stable it was... do some math... make more adjustments and watch for more days. Occasionally something would blow up and you would have to rebuild it. Only time we had fun was when the bosses weren't around and we could throw crap like paper into the laser and watch it vaporize. One of the most boring jobs I had. Now if I could have shot a bird out of a tree with it then that would be a different story all together.
    How do lasers hold atoms still?

also: XD @ blowing things up.

• How do lasers hold atoms still?

also: XD @ blowing things up.
    a poor explanation would be you use lasers pointed at an atom from several directions to hit the atom and hold it still.

a good explanation requires figures, and knowledge (on your part) of the Doppler effect for light. So it would be extremely difficult to provide a full explanation here.

Instead, I will refer you to 2 Scientific American articles that have dealt with the subject if you really want to try and understand it fully.

W. D. Phillips and H. J. Metcalf, Cooling and Trapping Atoms, March 1987.
    Steven Chu, Laser Trapping of Neutral Particles, February 1992.

• I'm familiar with the Doppler effect for sound, but not light, I"ll have to see if I can actually find those articles, tomorrow maybe.
  • edited November 2011
  • Do share. This place is just a huge rolling collection of conversations, not just one.

Speaking of eating bugs:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/5978443/Dinner-club-for-the-strong-stomached

These guys make my 'Try anything once, it's probably not poisonous' motto to the extreme... Even in such a social setting i wouldn't try half the stuff...
  • "balut, which is a Philippine snack of boiled fertilised duck egg. "

I saw this one get tried by the bizarre foods dude on travel channel, there's actually a semi-developed duck fetus inside the egg, and it has mini-pinfeathers, and you have to crunch on the skull a bit...

Supposedly it's higher in protein than a normal egg, but it's just too disturbing for me to even imagine trying.
  • Many men, for their part, said they were willing to shrug off traditional thinking that once made marrying a woman of higher educational and living standards unacceptable.

"Generally speaking, if you are a girl and your education level or income is too high, we're more likely to oppose it," he said, noting that a simple university degree was sufficient.

"A huge difference in education levels would make it difficult to communicate."

?
  • 90% joking MG. :P Although I did read this:
    Generally speaking, if you are a girl and your education level or income is too high, we're more likely to oppose it," he said, noting that a simple university degree was sufficient.

as: a simple uni degree is sufficient to qualify as 'too high'. Upon rereading, that was probably incorrect. :P
    (Still this they wouldn't care about education level if it was the dude who was higher though.)
  • http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/16/world/asia/china-bus-crash/

So sad my country has such underlying social problems...