Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsroom

Comments

• I don't see the underlying social problem associated with an overloaded school bus. It's not like that girl that was hit and ignored...
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15752918

Pfffttt, that's not a meal, a real meal IMO is meat, 2 veg and a carb/starch. Also, lol @ scientists who had to research this, there's a brilliant use of a uni degree XD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8893993/Holidaymakers-held-to-ransom-after-airline-refuses-to-complete-flight.html

Wow, that's just bad...
  • A 9 seater with 64 people on it? @_@ And that doesn't sound like a problem? even without the crash I would consider that a problem. And considering it was young kids, I think just that much would count as criminal endangerment or something over here, since obviously there wouldn't be enough seats or seat belts to have them be protected.

toast sandwich has to be a joke right? it's like, "zomg, instead of eating 3 slices of buttered toast, we'll stick them together and have a sandwich, aren't we clever?"

I don't even have words for that "flight". That's just criminal.
  • Oh i see it now... i missed the 9 seater part...

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/11747205/romanians-use-gift-cards-to-turn-donuts-into-dollars/

I must say, despite being caught that is mighty clever stuff...
  • o.o how do you do that? how did they catch them doing that?
  • edited November 2011
    A 9 seater with 64 people on it? @_@ And that doesn't sound like a problem? even without the crash I would consider that a problem. And considering it was young kids, I think just that much would count as criminal endangerment or something over here, since obviously there wouldn't be enough seats or seat belts to have them be protected.

toast sandwich has to be a joke right? it's like, "zomg, instead of eating 3 slices of buttered toast, we'll stick them together and have a sandwich, aren't we clever?"

I don't even have words for that "flight". That's just criminal.
    Its the fact that lives = bought or bribed with cash and worthless. The social implications of our vastly overgrown economy has left so many hundreds of millions behind that they are being overlooked and exploited. A simple life can be sold and bought so easily, those kids families earn meagre wages and will probably be compensated with meagre amounts. Its the fact that people are so critically unaware of consequences and that guilt has disappeared as one of our emotions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15398332

Take this for an example, the bystander effect taking full effect here. It shows China as morally several decades behind if we take the Kitty Genovese case, that people can allow something to happen and not take part in preventing it. Where is the good Samaritan. And this has already happened before in September this year when another bus was overloaded with 66 kindergarteners.

I go back quite often and know that this sort of traffic incidents occur often, way too often. People never wear seatbelts and a lot of drivers remove them entirely from their cars. Only the driver has a seatbelt, and I'm talking about all cars. Signalling doesnt exist, your best friend is the horn. Cyclists try to own the road but cars dont give a fuck. I've seen people been hit literally 2-3metres in front of me by cars, scooters anything because in China, many many cars (in this case too, the lorry), has 2 or more licence plates so they can swop. Drivers arent insured to one car only, that car can be driven by anyone with a licence, and then you get the millions who don't have licences driving. I've seen overloaded lorries filled with more lorries on top to the extent if it accelerated too much it would topple over. Ive seen trucks drive on the wrong side of the motorway when I went to Inner Mongolia, neither did my Uncle nor the truck driver care even as both sides were driving at 100 mph towards eachother. Traffic lights are so abused that most junctions require a policeman there to dictate stuff instead. I could go on. Even the driving test is ridiculous. You don't ever touch the road through out your lessons + test, its ALL done at a test centre so you have no experience of road driving and yet you could hold a licence.
  • =/ That's really scary, and that thing with the toddler that got hit is horrible as well. I just can't imagine walking past any body and not giving it a second thought, much less a kid.
  • David Icke is this guy known for his belief that reptiles rule the planet. Jessie Ventura does a conspiracy show. Icke wanted to talk about it for 9 hours, and Jessie was like uh no. So this guy freaks out in the interview and heads home to declare internet jihad on his ass. This is funny as hell.

http://www.davidicke.com/headlines/56029-jesse-ventura-pet-detective-a-must-read-
  • Jesse Ventura isn't my fave, but this David Icke guy, such a tool bag.
  • After 9 hours of listening to somebody talk about reptilians overlords I'd cut my own head off with a salad fork.
  • edited November 2011
    *Started reading*

*Stopped reading a third of the way in and left to find some mind bleach to clean the crazy out before proceeding to continue life ignoring the existence of that rant.*
  • Hopefully they'll appear together on some type of celebrity reality show and we'll get to see some hair pulling.
  • =/ That's really scary, and that thing with the toddler that got hit is horrible as well. I just can't imagine walking past any body and not giving it a second thought, much less a kid.
    Yeh if i see an old lady struggling with her shopping i go and give her a hand let alone a kid being ran OVER (not hit).
  • Looks like a PanU thread afterall.
  • As funny as that political response was, it's still miles better than the blanket 'No Comment's we've been experiencing here during the past week and a half of our current elections.

And i saw that one about the pope earlier, and i seriously wonder what went through the minds of the ad creators when they thought it was a good idea... That is real *faceplam* stuff...
  • pure shock value I suppose? *shrug*
  • edited November 2011
    Iran is flipping the hell out. Apparently their missiles have malware.

http://www.debka.com/article/21496/
  • As plausible as the virus theory is it could just as well have been a simple non-malicious accident... Scary stuff if it was Duqu though given that Iran recently announced it had managed to get a handle on it earlier in the week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/5993939/Pizza-a-vegetable-says-US-Government

I can already feel the force of the collective *face/palms* from here in the future...
  • Anyone would flip out with missile problems.

US school food program is a real joke, and I well know it. Part of my job right now at the school I'm working for is being the food program manager, and doing all the inventory management, ordering, budgeting, and stuff. French fries as a vegetable is one of the things that's always made me shake my head, although we've never tried to credit pizza as a veggie.

The real problem with nutrition isn't these silly regulations and requirements though. Everyone knows through common sense what's healthy and what's not, and they'd love to feed the kids healthier food, but the healthier food is more expensive. 5lbs of french fries is very cheap compared to 5lbs of broccoli, and the food budget is pretty small. The government reimburses schools on the food program, but it's only a few cents on the dollar, not even close to the full amount. We're required to give our kids about 12 ounces of fruit and vegetables (combined) a day, and we roughly spend $100 a week on it. That's using a lot of canned stuff, and only using fresh once or twice a week. All fresh would easily double that cost, and using more of the healthier vegetables would significantly increase it as well. (Not that we do so bad, we only serve french fries once every other week or so.) When you compare that to the cost of serving other food groups, it's a big difference. We tend to go pretty grain heavy because grains are cheap. You can give them twice as much grain for about 1/4th the cost. Or like, with pizza specifically, we can spend $10 on pizza and serve 40 kids with it, and it covers the grain and protein requirements (and apparently vegetables too). So yeah, I'm not surprised at all that they're trying to credit it like this, even though it's blatantly ridiculous.
  • edited November 2011
    Back on track to SK's first civilized flame war. It is/isn't possible to travel faster than light?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2063163/Einstein-speed-light-2nd-set-scientists-particles-CAN-travel-faster-light.html

Defying physics: The neutrinos arrived at the detector in Italy 60 nanoseconds earlier than light particles

One explanation for the results could be the existence of other dimensions that provided the neutrinos with a shortcut – a scenario that would leave Einstein’s theory intact.

- I find this interesting could there be an anti matter dimension, and better yet could this be proof of it?
  • Personally I'm thinking Occam's razor. I find it easier to believe that Einstein was wrong about light being fastest than that we're discovering new dimensions. However, that would mean scraping all the theoretical mathematics of physics of the past few decades. Who knows what they'll get when they try this at other labs though.
  • I agree with Ix, it's easier to believe that Einsteins light speed barrier is wrong than try to prove the existence of extra dimensions. I wouldn't feel too bad about having to scrap current knowledge though, they already know that if they can't prove the existence of the Higgs-Boson then the current standard model will be deemed wrong and that's the basis most quantum physics is built upon.

• Not really news, but it looks like an interesting product. I wonder about the cost though. If it can be made cheap, there's all sorts of things I wouldn't mind putting it on.
  • edited November 2011
    Very interesting indeed, i've known about such technology for a while now, especially in glass/hard surfaces, but i didn't realize it was so close to being commercially ready for more general use.

As interesting as that story is about that old lady the comments section raises some valid points (or at least the non-ranting ones do...), especially the point about how while she's not spending money directly, people are still spending through her. I mean it's nice if she does dishes and chores in exchange for a nights board but the homeowners still have to pay for the power and water with cash during her stay. What she's doing sounds more like couchsurfing with strangers to me.
  • Valid point, and she mentions how if she needs tickets to go somewhere, people who want to see her just send them. She probably wouldn't have much luck getting tickets in a timely manner if she marched up to the station and asked what chores she could do to earn them. A lot of comments were actually quite stupid imo. Like this one:

She has designed her life around the things that really matter, with helping others at the top of the list. This gives her a security that no amount of money or “insurance” can provide.
    Sure it sounds warm and fuzzy, but what if she broke a leg, or came down with a disease that self healing isn't going to overcome? Or needed a surgery... I mean, she's getting old here. If she were here in the US, she'd have a serious problem. Not sure how healthcare would work in Germany, but it has still got to be paid for by someone.

Or this guy who talks about barter:
    For, if everyone else could also barter for their services that they give to Heidemarie, then a moneyless system would be created. To achieve this, a broad-based barter system would have to be put in place…airlines, taxis, clothing, food, etc…and this is exactly what her example is encouraging.
    What he doesn't understand is that money IS an extension of the original barter system, and we're just exchanging tokens of value instead of directly trading labor, and it works better because it's more convenient. You can't hop into a taxi and say, "I need to get downtown for a meeting, and oh by the way, what chore can I do to pay you for this ride?" The idea of trying to apply this to airline tickets is even more laughable. Money is a very functional part of society, and I don't think getting rid of it is the answer to economic problems.
  • edited November 2011
    Nanotech is very kewl but there is one aspect that is very scary, especially if you look at how difficult things already are for organizations like the FDA.

"Animal studies show that because nanoparticles are so small, they can travel deep into the lungs, passing into the bloodstream and other organs. They may be able to penetrate the skin. And they're much more chemically reactive, often in unpredictable ways. While consumer industries are racing to develop uses, environmental and health research lags far behind."
  • edited November 2011
    Very valid point Dank, certainly a cause for concern...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15830176

The deficit battle has been joined, and on this terrain will the presidential election be fought.

Wow, i thought the elections this weekend for NZ were going to suck, seems your guys one next year is going to be horrendous regardless of who the candidates are... I do like the fact that the president is going to uphold the resulted activated effects from the bills failure even though nobody likes them, it's a good punishment for the lack of effectiveness.