Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsroom

Comments

• I am a theoretical physicist and I hate to say that most if not all the things claimed in this topic are wrong.. Screamin, what you're saying doesn't make much sense..
    I'll try to explain a little bit..

First off, it's impossible to prove a theory is complete right. You can prove it isn't wrong, and if there is enough evidence for this, it will be generally accepted.
    Einstein wasn't wrong (it was around 1910 when he came up with special relativity). The light speed IS a barrier that cant be passed. Only particles that dont have a mass can travel at light speed. The neutrino (the particles they are talking about) has recently been found to have a very small mass.
    If a particle travels faster than light, this gives problems with causality. Because if you are standing next to the detector in Italy you will first see the neutrino get absorbed and shortly after you will see the neutrino be created in CERN.
    Einstein already stated that there could be particles that always go faster than light (called katyons) but these particles could never go slower than light speed. So now it's under discussion if this particle only went for a short time over the light speed or the whole time (cuz they can only measure the average velocity).
    MOre info on demand ;)
  • After a quick Google search I understand that as one nears the speed of light, time slows and it follows that theoretically when traveling at the speed of light time stops and that going faster than light would mean one would travel back in time due to relativity. The part that us laypeople don't understand is that while the particles in question are measured as going slightly faster than light would over the same distance, the time difference between the firing and detecting is still positive, so cause still precedes effect, which has us wondering why people are jumping to the possibilities of time travel while causality is still intact...
  • I made a little mistake, the hypothetical particles that can go faster than light are called tachyons.
    Not such a bad way to make it a little clear, Gagazet. And I dont think the time difference is positive from every reference frame..
  • http://bit.ly/oPQ83L

Hangman... i wonder what qualifications that requires? Obviously knot tying i guess...
  • I saw that as well. Possibly died of disappointment over the new iPhone? :P (too soon?)
  • Sad. I knew he was sick of course, but I didn't realize it was quite so bad.

Hangman is not a job I'd want. Curious why they don't just shoot them, or do lethal injection, it'd be slightly more humane (considering you're killing someone...)
  • edited October 2011
    Of course time travel is possible. What do you think a ghost is doing? There are entities that can do this and they can use it to gather all of the information that they need to know about you... and then impersonate a loved one to redirect you, or even share information with you (Edgar Cayce). These are commonly known as demons/angels.
  • The bridge stealing business is very profitable this time of year.
  • Boogie Down Productions started bridge stealing.
  • Very amusing, though somewhat confusing after browsing the comments...

I saw that one about the stolen bridge, and i'm a bit perplexed about that one too...

As interesting as that milk based dress is, i have questions over it's supposed anti-aging properties.

The real question about that hair washing robot is how it manages tangles... 24 fingers is a lot of potential for hair to get caught on.
  • I ran a quick search on the anti-aging powers of Casein, all I found was people selling pill supplements, and nothing that looked even remotely reliable or scientific.
  • Its just a bogus claim like most are. They want their product sold.
  • lol at the bridge stealing

we all know times are tough, but that tough!
  • There has to be easier ways to make 100K than to steal a bridge and chop it for scrap. I wonder how easy it would be to track bridge scrap too... They obviously couldn't start selling the pieces anywhere nearby, they'd be caught too quickly. My real question is though, how does one go about stealing a bridge in the first place?
  • With skill and precission haha. In all honesty stealing a bridge is probably the easiest way to get 100k, a town over from the city I'm living in there was this big copper horse statue that some tweekers drove there car into and knocked it over, torch cut what needed to be cut and stole it to melt down and resell as scrap. And in another all honesty statement the bridge is probably worth a fraction of what they claim it is, they always over estimate values in cases such as
  • edited October 2011
    Sad, things like that probably need some kind of security system these days. A couple years ago a cousin of mine and her husband were building their own house, and the night they put the copper wiring in, someone broke in and stripped it all out. I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm regularly surprised by what some people can and will steal.
  • You wouldn't download a bridge, would you?

• edited October 2011
    @Scientology
    What I need is a phone app that does what the transformers do. Scan any car I see on the road, and instantly replicate it.
  • I'm digging the Airplane and the Shark. I'm not actually going to dig them up, but I do like them.
  • I liked the shark too! :D and the elephant.
  • edited October 2011
    Some of them are pretty nice, though for most i just thought: Really?

http://bit.ly/oId9Dp

Deming's suit seeks a refund for her movie ticket as well as a halt to the production of "misleading movie trailers."

Is that all? Talk about aiming low. I do agree that many film trailers are misleading, if you're going to sue, either go big or go home (and complain about it on the internet like the rest of us do :p )
  • edited October 2011
    I dunno MG, Hollywood might think an end to misleading trailers to be very big indeed, I mean, that's ALL of them, ya know? :P
  • http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/10/us-app-sleep-idUSTRE7991JT20111010

This will be interesting if/when it's on the market. A headband connected to your phone to coach you into better sleep and wake up. I bet this would make a great excuse for being grouchy in the morning... Sorry guys, my sleep app didn't wake me up during the proper light sleep phase...
  • I can see it has it's uses, but i do wonder about it's practicality, most of us live to a fixed time schedule and often our bodies don't sync up with it. I mean it's all good and well to feel refreshed when woken, but if it happens to be (for example) +/-2hrs from when you actually need to be up, it's not so good...
  • I was thinking about that earlier too actually. I wonder how often these light sleep stages come, and how consistent they are in their timing.
  • http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/a/SleepStages.htm

Also, they have phone apps that try to measure the movements of your body while sleeping with the gyrosensors and try to guess what stage of sleep you're in. It'll then wake you up at the best time before, or when you need to be woken.
  • edited October 2011
    I suppose that makes sense, since sleep is cyclical that'll make patterns easier to predict.
  • edited October 2011
    http://yhoo.it/oTiSAN

This i think is a really good idea, except that maybe they should go through a certification process to prove they use fresh foods rather than leaving it up to the restaurant's to make the indication. I doubt anyone will proudly announce that all their foods arrive prefrozen and prepackaged.

http://tgr.ph/nkDa3A

[-X *sighs* Seriously? By the sounds of it it may no longer be worth having parties for young children, since there'll be nothing for them to do...