Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most awesomest country!

edited January 2014 in General
so i've been reading opinions and stuff on the internet (yea, i know) and i have been noticing a growing trend of people saying that the power of the U.S. is dead and that we are no longer the worlds...whatever, blah blah blah.

now i too have noticed that America's power has waned, globally. i'm thankful for this fact, as it gives more reasons clean our own house before messing with others. however, i find the idea of there being a nation more powerful than America to be logically flawed. we certainly have the strongest military, a robust economy, moderate, if not great, education and very good healthcare (standards, not price...although price too).

so my question here...what am i missing? i certainly agree that we are weakening and that other countries are rising, but what one country has more "power" (whatever that really means)?
there are no wrong answers here, but there are stupid ones. so please, well thought out responses that dont involve having more maple syrup. (because canada is just a province of the US anyway.)

Comments

• Iceland
  • If any country ever tops the US, it will most definitely be China. China has the strongest military by manpower, the fastest growing economy and great education. Right now though, no matter how much the US's power has been declining, the US will still remain as the most influential country.
  • edited January 2014
    We announced that the banks were too big to fail and let them do whatever they want, forever. Meanwhile little old Iceland flipped the banks off, and told all of them to shove it then locked them in jail. I'd say they are more powerful in terms of protecting their people and setting them up to succeed. If you just mean powerful like killing people sure we win. We as in the rich people that pull our strings.
  • Article circle ftw
  • Article circle ftw
    That a MS Paint function?
  • http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/01/07/344296/us-using-alqaeda-for-me-dominance/

If you read this article you already know what they are saying is true. It's not like a bolt of lightning hits you. Everybody knows. Our dominance is our parading around like asshats mass murdering everything. It's just the way of the world. I like Iceland though they just mind their own business. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
  • (Out of context, sorry) Dank you playing with the rest of the Grumpy Men this round?
  • I'm in Revelation. I have located the alliance forum but not actually focused in on it with the eyes yet. It's only a matter of time before I run the place.
  • Article circle ftw
    That a MS Paint function?
    Damn you autocorrect! I'm not even going to fix it out of principal.
  • If any country ever tops the US, it will most definitely be China. China has the strongest military by manpower, the fastest growing economy and great education. Right now though, no matter how much the US's power has been declining, the US will still remain as the most influential country.
    you are overestimating china far too much

are you aware of the high amount of students that cheat and even riot when cheaters are caught?

they are a country with a lack of natural resources, they need to rely on other countries to supply them. You can be sure that USA will be keeping a track on their reserve levels as well.

If anything their strength will come from the communist party controlling and motivating their people to fight for them if a war breaks out.

The Western countries have been becoming more "free" that it will only hurt them in the future. Everybody thinks they are somebody special and not a grunt that countries need to thrive.
  • Chinas infrastructure is crap. They would be easy conquered by the red white and blue.
  • We will continue to be the most powerful until someone beats our military. Currently we spent more on our military then the top 25 countries combined.

We might be lacking in other areas, but we are still more powerful until we are beaten militarily. As far as awesome goes... the UK or Germany might be on top overall since they also have a good deal of military power and are stable economically and politically.
  • edited January 2014
    it is very unlikely that a world war will break out with the world being so connected now.

america has dropped off a lot in enlistment numbers as evidenced by the rising number of inactive platoons. you could argue that new military technology means less people need to be on the front line.

still if a world war broke out, how many of the self-entitled hipster cunts do you think would heed the call of the draft? The chinese are a lot more loyal to their country.
  • So long as america can print out money for free and china keeps buying those pieces of paper i see no reason why the us should fail
  • The power/influence of the USA has been made a joke. No one likes nor cares for the US in anything it does. It imports more than it exports; its currency, regardless of being the world reserve is absolutely worthless. Our economy is inflated and manipulated to a point that normal men and woman don't invest in it. The middle class is being drained and destroyed. All the while we are pissing off every ally we have ever had.
    Eventually, everything will come crumbling down for us here in the USA, but that is just as dangerous for the rest of the world. The people stopped paying attention long ago, and the ones that do still believe in the left/right paradigm thinking that they are helping to change things when really they are kicking the can down the road exactly the way they're wanted to. The US hasn't lost power, it has merely been humiliated... Which could be just as effective.
  • edited January 2014
    So long as america can print out money for free and china keeps buying those pieces of paper i see no reason why the us should fail
    thats a common misconception

• So long as america can print out money for free and china keeps buying those pieces of paper i see no reason why the us should fail
    All men crave power. Eventually, even china will want more.

It's technically correct. China buys our bonds which allow us to buy Chinese goods which allow China to buy our bonds.
  • Circle of life

They need each other at least for now

It's technically correct. China buys our bonds which allow us to buy Chinese goods which allow China to buy our bonds.
    the misconception being that the chinese own the majority

the highest owner is american citizens
  • Of US Currency? It doesn't matter, its all worthless in reality.
  • Isn't China about to face a massive pensioner boom soon though? If it's China I'm thinking of, economists are predicting quite a significant increase to the amount of elders 'burdening' their economy.

Of course, given China's human rights records I doubt it's nothing they won't be able to solve
  • http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/01/07/344296/us-using-alqaeda-for-me-dominance/

If you read this article you already know what they are saying is true. It's not like a bolt of lightning hits you. Everybody knows. Our dominance is our parading around like asshats mass murdering everything. It's just the way of the world. I like Iceland though they just mind their own business. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
    this isnt about who the "best" country is. i wouldnt even throw the US into that discussion. this is about the most...influential? maybe questionsmark

• i find the idea of there being a nation more powerful than America to be logically flawed. we certainly have the strongest military, a robust economy, moderate, if not great, education and very good healthcare (standards, not price...although price too).

USA does have the strongest military but not the biggest one, the Chinese have more men if I'm not mistaken and they are rich enough now to buy or produce high quality military equipment, North Korea has the biggest army in the world. Yet USA is prolly a better place to live in than those two countries.

A robust economy: With ups and downs but atm seems to be doing fine.

Moderate if not great education: I'd say Moderate at the very most. West Europe public schools are better and free. The free universities in Europe (aka accessible by the majority of the population) are also of higher quality than US ones. As for the education, countries like Sweden, Norway... have the "best" methods in the world (at the moment ofc).

Very good healthcare: True; but once again, as long as you can afford it. I've been taken by ambulance to a hospital, gone through surgery, i never payed a penny since Healthcare is covered by government. The "additional" healthcae insureance you can obtain through your work is also much cheaper than in US.

So yeah America IS the best country in the world, as long as you got a LOT of money to pay for the best of the best :).
  • if not talking about military, the best countrys to live in would be.. my top5

Finland, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.

these are not in order, just my toughts :)
  • edited January 2014
    Why Finland besides of the fact you live there? :D
  • As for Germany, they are only doing fine because they don't have a minimal wage (or didn't have until very very recently) and they hire EXTREMELY cheap working force from East Europe countries which allows them to produce at ridiculous costs.
  • i actually could not live in Germany. they do not allow homeschooling.

i personally have a problem with people telling me that some lazy chick who barely got through college is better at teaching my children how to be functional, productive adults than me.

Fuso: nothing is free. healthcare does not grow on trees
  • i heard the nordic countries pay 50% plus in taxes but everything is free