Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Hockey Thread (ey?)

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Meh. Neither will play anyway.
  • No, I doubt he will, but I would have taken him anyway.
  • Yandle and Ryan were snubbed. And then bashed by Brian Burke.
  • Russia > USA

Gold Medal game Russia vs Canada, canada pulls out a clutch win late in the 3rd!

Then only a month and a half before the Olympics... WOOO!
  • As a Flames fan I hope their rebuild is not going to turn into an Edmonton rebuild.... :|
  • Saiyan I feel bad for ya. Feaster could have done much better trading iginla a year or two earlier. Rebuilding on the fly doesn't work out, but massive rebuilds hurt too. You can hope for a blackhawks or penguins rebuild, but that is crapshute.

Russia played well and that was a tough game against Canada in the iihf games. USA is still bringing home goals next month though.
  • Oilers rebuild has been painful, I still only see a tiny glimmer of hope... it's mostly frustrating because the problems are so glaringly obvious. You see Hall play and he is easily as dominant as any other LW on the ice, he skates from end-to-end without breaking a sweat.

We need to win the goaltender lottery somehow and end up with someone who doesnt suck, but more than that... we need some god damn defensemen.

Team Canada for the olympics should still be a solid pick, because they have incredible depth. Think the final lines are announced on the 6th, so we will see, but its pretty clear who's going to make the team.
  • Yeah, I think Canada will be the most skilled team, but they are going to have a lot of centers playing out of their natural positions and that may cause them issues early (Babcock will iron those wrinkles out). We will see though, Russia will have the mob and referees in their pockets.
  • lol yeah, I half expect them to just buy a gold
  • I agree with you Cory.. Feaster made some bad moves and that was the reason Burke kicked him out... I agree with his theory that you need big guys to be competitive... look at Chicago or Boston.... We should have started this rebuild 2 years ago but it is what it is....

For Edmonton they look great on Paper and Hall is so young and talented that if they can get the chemistry going the team will be competitive for the cup.... But most likely there will be some key trade happening because at this rate not only they are losing games they are losing fans too lol
  • They need to dump some of their old guys to be able to afford these you superstars. By the time they get rid of the old, their young guys will be considered veterans because they have been playing since they were 18-19. Then they need to get a good dman or two and a sturdy goalie. Maybe trade the blues or ducks for one of their goalies and move along.
  • Or a hurricanes or predators goalie.
  • No doubt like Ryan Smyth is pushing 37 lol... They trade Smid to Flames which was super odd trade at the time considering they needed a good D and his been awesome addition to Flames.... but made sense later when they brought in Bryzgalov... (LOL talk about inconsistency....)

I like Dubnyk.... his first NHL year was pretty bad but his record is pretty much 50/50 and when your with Edmonton that is not really bad lol.....

Flames has some good players in all positions ( Monahan, Smid, Gio, Berra....) and I think if Burke can use that as his new core foundation he can build from there.
  • Canada has a big challenge ahead of them but they will win. USA has the best goaltending and need a lot of help. Russia is just skilled as fuck as normal and speedy bastards. But Canada will still win :D Hopefully not as close as last olympics.
  • Hopefully it is as close as last Olympics. That was a lot of fun to watch as a USA fan, I'd much rather see a crushing OT loss than a 12-2 blowout like Russia had vs Canada.
  • Last Olympics was EPIC!!! As a Canadian have to cheer for Canada :)>-
  • I'd root for Canada over Russia or anyone else. But USA is my #1 choice. I live 15 mins from a bridge to Canada here in michigan, and always love to visit gods country.
  • Finland or Canada. period.
  • Hockey is our sport, I really don't see any other country that takes it as passionately haha. That doesn't mean we deserve to win, but I would say we have the advantage every year.

It's going to be unreal either way... my city pretty much shuts down during olympic hockey, you'd think it was christmas day.

• I am just bummed about the time of day they will be playing. Will make it hard.
  • Finland vs Sweden. GL HF
  • BTW the winter classic was fun, cold, and wet.
  • i didn't read if cory posted how great a time he had at the winter classic or a diary if he made one.....would read it if posted
  • I was too cold to type. Had a blast, but if they do another one in Michigan I'll probably pass. Once in a lifetime thing. Good seats, but the drive was tripled by traffic and snow.

Also, Finland strikes 28 seconds in. This is going to be good.
  • Canucks got embarrassed!
  • I really need to blue jackets to lose... I just want the leafs and wings to make the playoffs. I am rooting for the blues (still) in the west.
  • Did you see the goal of the year last night? Hemsky had some maaaaaad dangles... :(
  • Yeah, and gudas is on my fantasy hockey team. No negative scoring for jocks in the rafters in my league thankfully.

I am actually on my bye week of the playoffs, playing in conference finals next week.
  • Go cory go
  • I won last year. Defending my championship belt is my goal.