Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim

Comments

• edited December 2011
    I was told the i7 was overkill for gaming.

I bought the i5 2500k for my first self built computer in September and I've yet to have a game I can't run at max specs. (I don't have skyrim though) (I am jealous that you ponied up for the 2600) :P

• I enjoyed the first halo, do people still talk about halo 2 and halo 3 and debate which is better? What about Call of Duty? Do people talk about which is the best in the series?
    Yes.

I only skimmed the rest of your post but you sound like you are getting angry at people who plays video games for reasons that you don't agree with.
    Halo isnt a good pick for that question considering the first one was good, but call of duty, definitely not :-p

I hate the young gamers who jump into games not delving any further than the surface of what gaming can be.
    Lol i do hope you aren't basing all Call of Dutys on the current lineup. Let me remind you Cod 1 and 2 were epic. The rest are soso and recently, since after Cod 4, its been a massive steep avalanche down to shit. Same i'd say for Battlefield 3. Halo 1 was epic too, especially with custom edition on PC.

Still, im waiting for CS:GO to come out next year.
  • edited December 2011
    I was told the i7 was overkill for gaming.

I bought the i5 2500k for my first self built computer in September and I've yet to have a game I can't run at max specs. (I don't have skyrime though) (I am jealous that you ponied up for the 2700) :P
    Basically games now just have insane shaders...which causes most of the processes. i7 is killer for processing, if you like computing/calculating shit, then yes, for gaming, probably an AMD X6 or X4 black edition (965) is enough, way way enough. Its more about the graphics really as there are virtually no games which require 4 cores. Therefore any four core (or six core) system is overkill. Get the AMD instead of the i7 and you could even afford yourself a nice 160GB SSD for your operating system :P
  • Battlefield 3 is great.

• I was told the i7 was overkill for gaming.

I bought the i5 2500k for my first self built computer in September and I've yet to have a game I can't run at max specs. (I don't have skyrime though) (I am jealous that you ponied up for the 2700) :P
    Basically games now just have insane shaders...which causes most of the processes. i7 is killer for processing, if you like computing/calculating shit, then yes, for gaming, probably an AMD X6 or X4 black edition (965) is enough, way way enough. Its more about the graphics really as there are virtually no games which require 4 cores. Therefore any four core (or six core) system is overkill. Get the AMD instead of the i7 and you could even afford yourself a nice 160GB SSD for your operating system :P
    Lews knows what he's talking about. I skimmed his post and he's completely right. The intel processors are overpriced for what you need it to do, if you're only gaming.

That said, I run an i5 on a killer board with an old 8800 GTS ($35 on craigslist, lololol) that I overclocked a bit and it runs Skyrim just fine. Not the best details but Skyrim is the first game I've played in quite some time.
  • Battlefield 3 is great.

Huge wall bugs, massive hitbox issues. Multiplayer now sucks, EA withdrawing from allowing player made mods (ala Bf2).
  • I was told the i7 was overkill for gaming.

Lews knows what he's talking about. I skimmed his post and he's completely right. The intel processors are overpriced for what you need it to do, if you're only gaming.

That said, I run an i5 on a killer board with an old 8800 GTS ($35 on craigslist, lololol) that I overclocked a bit and it runs Skyrim just fine. Not the best details but Skyrim is the first game I've played in quite some time.
    I mean I will probably get the i7 anyways, haha, but thats cos I will triple boot with Mac, windows and Linux. And a lot of rendering I do on mac osx will kill any processor, tried on my friends X6 and it literally overloaded the CPU. And that wasn't even FCP, it was just Adobe Aftereffects (somehow only running on 2 cores...which was weird). Thing with intel is they appear to say that hyperthreading allows their systems to be more efficient and give you more cores, hence the price tag...but generally its all bs.

• They are really great processors. They can also overclock like champions.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeh the i7 2600k is overkill, but I wanted it to be future proof :) didnt want to get something that was "enough" then have to start looking around again within the year.

should set me for a while especially since i can add 32gb ram too lol

• Yeh the i7 2600k is overkill, but I wanted it to be future proof :)

should set me for a while especially since i can add 32gb ram too lol

hehe then you're fucked. Future proof doesnt exist in technology. Your PC depreciates by half its value next year, if not more.

• Fuck you lews, you know what I mean lol :-W
  • Haha i do. I was only messing with you. Come on, you are scouse, you have a sense of humour (not really). :)

Lol but yeh get yourself some 24' inch monitors and triple monitor racing games.
  • The problem with future proofing is that the motherboard will still only accept 32nm cores.

22nm was supposed to be annouced this year, followed by 18nm in 2013.
  • The problem with future proofing is that the motherboard will still only accept 32nm cores.

22nm was supposed to be annouced this year, followed by 18nm in 2013.
    Questionable when that date is, though it is one of the reasons im waiting for the i7 sandy to drop in price.
  • Haha i do. I was only messing with you. Come on, you are scouse, you have a sense of humour (not really). :)

Lol but yeh get yourself some 24' inch monitors and triple monitor racing games.
    Already got 1, 3 would be crazy hahah

While I have some other computer guys in here, feel free to recommend some good gpu's that are good for gaming, but dont cost SHITLOADS and can be doubled up (sli) in future

• I'm not as A1 a geek as some here.

But isn't overclocking your PC always a bad idea?
  • It depends on how far you push it. A simple overclock can still give you the reliability you normally have while giving you a substantial boost in performance.

Just make sure you have a proper way of cooling anything you overclock.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha i do. I was only messing with you. Come on, you are scouse, you have a sense of humour (not really). :)

Already got 1, 3 would be crazy hahah

While I have some other computer guys in here, feel free to recommend some good gpu's that are good for gaming, but dont cost SHITLOADS and can be doubled up (sli) in future

Nah, crossfire never necessary really, as GPU stacks won't give x2, more close to x1.7. Plus you're better off getting a newer card later or upgrading components. For now 6970 is the best buy, £200. Or get a 580GTx if you want that slightly faster card but it is louder apparently. Regardless, temperature both will heat up if you push it but most games will only take upto about 40% of those cards. Or you're better off waiting a few months for the southern island cards (7xxx) series. Though you'd be probably looking at £350 for a 7950 when it comes out.
  • I'm not as A1 a geek as some here.

But isn't overclocking your PC always a bad idea?
    Clock upto 10-20% should be fine. 4.2ghz is easy clock nowadays. Though you do void all warranties after clock, if you have it prebuilt however, it might be covered.
  • Not really if you have good enough cooling. Also it has been run using stress test software and declared stable at 4.6ghz but I left it at 4ghz for now so should be fine.

Also speedstep is enabled which means that it doesn't run at the overclocked speed all the time - just when needed - and most of the time it will downclock if doing cpu-light activities like browsing and office applications.
  • I've never been a fan of buying two cheaper cards and doing a SLi or CX. Just spend what you can afford on one good card, and then buy another one in a year or so after the price drops if you still need performance.

Like I said, I don't do much gaming so my $35 8800 GTS does just fine.
  • Ill check those out lews
  • Not really if you have good enough cooling. Also it has been run using stress test software and declared stable at 4.6ghz but I left it at 4ghz for now so should be fine.

Also speedstep is enabled which means that it doesn't run at the overclocked speed all the time - just when needed - and most of the time it will downclock if doing cpu-light activities like browsing and office applications.
    Yeah all hardware now comes with its own softwares to help you micromanage, generally your gpu will be silent, and most motherboards come with an integrated gpu, so should be fine. Though atm, overclocking is becoming less and less necessary as no applications or games require it. And you will hardly use these pcs for running servers, you're better off getting an entry level Xeon for that with its 16 physical cores.
  • I've never been a fan of buying two cheaper cards and doing a SLi or CX. Just spend what you can afford on one good card, and then buy another one in a year or so after the price drops if you still need performance.

8800 GTS still an amazing card, my housemate had it on his Dell XPS, and it ran things still easily (albeit on medium settings)
  • :-))

I looked at intels 6 core but most sites reviews say that the sandy bridge 2600k out performs it on software that doesnt utilise multiple cores (quite a lot of software atm) and outperforms it on everything when its overclocked at like a third of the price.

8800 GTS still an amazing card, my housemate had it on his Dell XPS, and it ran things still easily (albeit on medium settings)
    I have a second one, was thinking about putting it in, but I don't really need it.
  • :-))

I looked at intels 6 core but most sites reviews say that the sandy bridge 2600k out performs it on software that doesnt utilise multiple cores (quite a lot of software atm) and outperforms it on everything when its overclocked at like a third of the price.
    Yup. Because applications dont require 6 cores, you're never using optimum power, whereas with four cores, all are being used. Basically whichever one performs more effectively.

I have a second one, was thinking about putting it in, but I don't really need it.
    Haha might as well, what else you gonna use it for, cant sell, you wont even be able to buy 10km worth of gas with the cash.
  • edited December 2011
    I've never been a fan of buying two cheaper cards and doing a SLi or CX. Just spend what you can afford on one good card, and then buy another one in a year or so after the price drops if you still need performance.

Still, better being in than sitting in a box doing nothing ;) Get it in and up your graphics on skyrim :D

Still, better being in than sitting in a box doing nothing ;) Get it in and up your graphics on skyrim :D
    Haha Skyrim, its not directly on my list. Atm when I get a new PC, first is to pimp up my GTA 4 to look like this (whilst in wait for GTA 5):