Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim

edited December 2011 in Game Talk

$650 million in its first month of sales. I think it has earned itself a thread. Anyone else playing it?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Yep

Just created a sword with 533 attack, not going to use it though as it would make the game too easy, was just messing around with potions. Only used 3 too I could make it into the thousands

Wondering what enchantments i want on my shit so its good but doesnt make the game too easy
  • Not buying it.
  • Loads of fun.

Lot of game-breaking mechanisms that allow you to be God though, but you can make it challenging.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been having a lot of fun with the mods. It has its flaws but it's still worth every penny.

• I have it for 360 so no mods for me.

I like walkin into Solitude, geting a massive group of guards to surround me, and busting out some fireballs. Bitches dont even know what hit em.
  • Will get when my PC good enough...or when it comes on Onlive or something
  • I was going to play it but then, I took an arrow to the knee.

Nah, but seriously I can't understand the point of a rpg that big but you can't smash your friends with the dude you make.
  • edited December 2011
    Go play an MMORPG then. I would but they are all exact copies of eachother....or Korean. Plus the ever growing amount of F2P MMORPGs with premium cash...lame.
    Also grind fest much? Though Diablo 2 was grind fest it was still fun, MMOs...nah, not when you are gold farming or exp farming for 4 hours to get that additional 0.05% EXP to next level...
  • :-( Oh Skyrim, why must you haunt me every day?! Parent's computer can't play it and i won't be back at my home computer for another 2 months... :-(( At least i'm through the worst of the withdrawal though... i think... @-)
  • I was going to play it but then, I took an arrow to the knee.

Nah, but seriously I can't understand the point of a rpg that big but you can't smash your friends with the dude you make.
    I dont get why most gamers these days "need" to have some sort of player vs player online elements in almost all games.

Not you specifically your post just reminded me. Skyrim doesnt need online stuff. It is an offline single player RPG, which is a great genre.

If people want to try and prove they are better than other people they have stuff like wow (and sk :-)) )
  • true gamers dont care to prove themselves for other gamers, they play the game for the game.

I dont understand why people want to believe in their mindset that to be the best gamer you must beat other gamers. Makes no sense. Playing a game for itself and to understand what it means (storyline). Its should be like reading a book. Playing a game to beat others is called a casual gamer who deserve no respect from the real gamers. I spit on those shit.
  • +1 Flazer + Qwj.

Also for me graphics isn't a big thing either, which is why I still play Mount & Blade :P
  • edited December 2011
    It let's me relax, enjoy the game, and get into the story. It's a giant virtual pick a path world. I don't have to do some daily grind because I want to move up in rank.
  • I disagree w you Flazer, it all depends on the game. I know ppl who play Halo far more seriously than anyone could take an rpg(aside those who cosplay). To beat a rpg is to read a story and experience it, to play a fps is to show dominance of skill over other humans who have sentient intellect as opposed to a npc. Both types of gaming have their perks and disadvantages. Skyrim? No thanks ill play the older final fantasys anydays tho
  • Bought it about a week ago played maybe an hour and a half.. Pretty fun but havent had much time to get into it yet, looking forward to it from what ive heard from other ppl
  • I know ppl too, does that really explain anything?

People who play shooter games seriously or lack the decency of other kinds of games if they seem "boring" or "bad and stale to play", dont know or care of anything else in the gaming industry, and are part of the gaming industry that are 100% casual. Its like a religion of itself in gaming, bunch of ignorant folks who dont appreciate what made games today. Its quite disappointing seeing so much love for such games when it is all based on how fun it is. But is it timeless?

I enjoyed the first halo, do people still talk about halo 2 and halo 3 and debate which is better? What about Call of Duty? Do people talk about which is the best in the series? No. There is no separation of what is the best, just a continuation for the casual players moving onto the "next fun thing". All we see is that after every game, is a new bandwagon, not caring of what the company made, but of what fun they can achieve. Its horrible because the gaming industry is trying to suck the money out of us, and now they relinquish the importance and the genuine structure of what makes real games.

All these shooter games do in this day is suck out all of our money and tailor to a simplistic and empty gaming that keeps us from learning, or experiencing a real game that can teach and learn, as compared to what a storyline can do. Do you see people passionate for these games? Sure you can, but will they be here in 5-10 years still dressing up as their favourite casual hero from the past?

You will see it from true games. I remember most if not all of the rpg games Ive beaten on the snes, how it begins and ends. I started around the age of 4 playing games, I played so much that a psychiatrist diagnosed me as autistic (definitely am not). I use to re enact video games in my life and use my free time with friends as a sort of a dungeon master creating a scene for my friends from the games I beat.

My point is that you can remember what every final fantasy was, each dragon warrior, each phantasy star (Well this series is kinda similar lol). Each one was memorable in their own way, people fight for which is the best and worst. The newer generation of games isnt about this at all, its about a fun time playing against other gamers. You do not learn from this experience other than how to play better, which grasps you even more into a competitive spirit, and a continuation of playing their games which has no real sole purpose of teaching you anything, other than how angry young kids make you when they start flaming/ teabagging you. This is not what makes a gamer, and these sort of gamers will show some love for their series, but it is in essence not the same justification as learning from a game that teaches you something worthwhile.

Real games teach you life lessons, present you a unique storyline and see how the game unfolds and gives you insight to life. Even many old games do not qualify as this, but they are definitely rewarding in beating hard games that give you the conclusion of the story you worked hard to complete.

Casual players play fun games. Real gamers play fulfilling games.
    People can like whatever they want, but a hardcore gamer will always and forever always be better than a casual gamer. Games shouldnt be decided on how good your genetics/ experience is on playing that certain game, thats really not fun at all. Games should be decided on their impact on you, thats fun.

By the way, here are some examples of real games: 7th Saga, Star Ocean 3, Persona 3.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess my point was really that If I"m going to spend 60+ hours on an rpg I'd like to have my friends to play with and specifically in that type of game where its all about making your character "pro" why wouldn't you want to battle against other people? 10 years ago my opinion would be completely different obviously.

It's not about proving yourself or thinking you are a badass or whatever. I'd just rather play against real people instead of a program.

I wasn't dogging on the game itself. I know it's SICK, all my friends play it.
    I would but they are all exact copies of eachother....or Korean. Plus the ever growing amount of F2P MMORPGs with premium cash...lame.
    Also grind fest much? Though Diablo 2 was grind fest it was still fun, MMOs...nah, not when you are gold farming or exp farming for 4 hours to get that additional 0.05% EXP to next level...
    Agreed, I play WOW and FLYFF but neither of them very much anymore. I was hoping ff14 would have gotten better this fall with the patches but it looks like its gonna be balls until next year at least. Actually getting back into MTG (online until I can blow money on paper) as its the only game that has actually made me money.
  • edited December 2011

I enjoyed the first halo, do people still talk about halo 2 and halo 3 and debate which is better? What about Call of Duty? Do people talk about which is the best in the series?
    Yes.

I only skimmed the rest of your post but you sound like you are getting angry at people who plays video games for reasons that you don't agree with.
  • None of this needs to be said. Fact of the matter is: Skyrim is single player because, rather than water down the game and add online, they perfected single player.
    Its legit the closest thing to flawless for a game of its type I've played in the past many years, so I'm happy with it. Adding online just takes away development time to hone the aspects of it i prefer which is a good, deep story and an open world.
  • I agree with Zeal, for Skyrim single player only works as it allows for story depth and immersion that just wouldn't work in multiplayer. That isn't to say that multiplayer games are bad, FPS's are magnitudes more fun with friends. Really it depends on the type of game one plays, much like how there have been many successful plot driven movies that were light on action and successful action movies where a plot is only there as an excuse to move to the next sequence.
  • edited December 2011
    The only type of online gameplay I would like in skyrim is the ability to jump into a friends world and do quests with him, they could scale the difficulty for 2 players and away we go.

If I want to beat other people i will go on super street fighter iv which requires some skill instead of who has the best gear which they grinded for 500 hours on wow etc

edit - i wish we could make use of that head chopping block in the OP pics...imagine casting frenzy on someone so they attack, get arrested and their head removed :)

just bought an i7 2600k quad core sandy bridge PC overclocked to 4.6ghz so my next playthrough will be on PC with mods :-D
  • What GPU you got qwj?
  • edited December 2011
    only a basic one for now so that it actually works...MSI Radeon HD 5750 which has been slightly overclocked too haha

Just using that while I try and find a good one and maybe get 2 and have both running with SLI
  • What motherboard you using atm? Did you build it yourself or bought it somewhere prebuilt? Cos your board might not be able to support crossfire...regardless, your case size could be an issue too. But yeh you can grab a XTX HD 6950 or 6970 2GB off scan or overclockers for around £200.
  • edited December 2011
    just bought an i7 2600k quad core sandy bridge PC overclocked to 4.6ghz so my next playthrough will be on PC with mods :-D
    I envy you. I'd very much like to enjoy this game with a high frame rate. The hiccups when I am on horseback are driving me up the wall. Please report back and let me know if you experience any lag. I'm on the wall about a processor upgrade but if this game runs like a hot knife through butter that will get me off it.
  • The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UDP3-B3 ATX, according to the website...

Support for ATI CrossFireX™/NVIDIA SLI technology
    Space for 32gb ram etc

Supposedly a decent motherboard for overclocking etc

Will update how it runs when i start it
  • negneg
    edited December 2011
    i found skyrim to be boring and buggy

enjoying SWTOR atm

• I enjoyed the first halo, do people still talk about halo 2 and halo 3 and debate which is better? What about Call of Duty? Do people talk about which is the best in the series?
    Yes.

I only skimmed the rest of your post but you sound like you are getting angry at people who plays video games for reasons that you don't agree with.
    Halo isnt a good pick for that question considering the first one was good, but call of duty, definitely not :-p

I hate the young gamers who jump into games not delving any further than the surface of what gaming can be.
  • its all about quickscoping and names like XxXx RapIIdZ SnIIpEzZ 420 xXxX these days
  • edited December 2011

This is what we do with haters in Skyrim.