Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do Americans hate free healthcare?

edited October 2013 in General
Americans once again proving they are stupid by shutting down the government over the prospect of free healthcare

What are you lot thinking?

Comments

• who fucking knows? Afraid of change? I know we have free health care in Canada and I love it and my family loves it. Moms had cancer 5x or so and it hasnt cost a thing to get treatment.
  • I remember watching a video that showed how americans actually have one of the most expensive healthcare systems, kind of mind blowing haha
  • because
    1) nothing is actually free
    2) its literally one of the only differences between our government and Canada's. gotta be unique lol
  • edited October 2013
    "nothing is actually free" - what are your taxes paying for?
  • "nothing is actually free" - what are your taxes paying for?
    Congress salary.
  • It's not actually free.
  • Its not even actually close to free....
  • I have fantastic health care at the moment. Way better than the "government" can offer. I got a letter in the mail that my health care premiums would be increasing dramatically. Simply put - this Affordable Care Act is hurting my family and I.
  • How is your current private health care better than what the government offers? Have you compared the two.

Why would your private health care provider raise premiums when it should be lowering them to compete with a government owned solution? Will you look to move to another health care provider and take advantage of the "free market".
  • Genuine questions btw.

This whole thing is being reported in my country as Americans being against free healthcare.

Of course it's a one sided way of reporting but some information from the other side would be great.
  • I bet its lynogs fault!
  • edited October 2013
    Basically the government is trekking me I can v rather buy into a health care program or in fined at the end of the year.

This program is forcing small business's to cut employees hours because they themselves can not afford to offer the benefits. It is a major concern that it will clog the medical system as no new doctors are even being added.

Long story short, I'm all for free health care but this is a pretty stupid way to implement it.
  • edited October 2013

The doctors we have now do not like the Affordable Health Care act, they are going into early retirement to avoid it; which is a decrease in good doctors.

When implemented, the healthcare will increase our taxes dramatically, which it being currently at 33% is already outrageous enough.

The amount of time now for Americans to see physicians is significantly less then other countries who supply free health care.

The Bill introduces Home visit inspections where they send government people to inspect you and your home to make sure you are compliant.

Anyone who has had health care 2 years prior to the full enactment of the health care law will be allowed to keep that insurance instead of making the switch. However, Obamacare isn't even inacted yet and I've had friends premiums increase by nearly x3 already, and the healthcare law was delayed for a year.

Businesses are being forced to supply free health care to their full time employees, and if they do not, it's something like a 6k$ fine per employee, **duration of fine is unknown to me**

So Businesses are now cutting hours to full time employees making them part time so that the business does not have to participate in Obamacare.

The list goes on and on, Free health care may be a good thing, but not Obamacare, it's down right tyrannical.
  • How is your current private health care better than what the government offers? Have you compared the two. overall doctors want to work with it more, and its more doctor friendly overall as they generally have a wide range of things that they can do and theirs really no hey stop cant' do that to much money going on (as their is currently with the other government run healthcare).

Why would your private health care provider raise premiums when it should be lowering them to compete with a government owned solution? Will you look to move to another health care provider and take advantage of the "free market". Basically its more expensive and overall more problematic to get the government healthcare, if you make x amount of money you have to pay for it (its not really free), if you don't have healthcare by the time tax season comes around well fuck you you owe us more money. And well businesses are cutting hours now to fall below the full employment limit so that they don't hae to pay health care
  • edited October 2013
    'merica!
  • why is an ozzy commenting on this, shut up Neg you sausage riding animal.
  • edited October 2013
    Free healthcare?!?!! GTFO

My uncle retired as a navy engineer in Sidney and is a dual citizen, he still has access to healthcare here though Tricare and of course qualifies for his home country's "free healthcare". He had a problem with his back from his service time and there was a two year waiting period for the surgery he needed. He flew back to the states to get it taken care of and from consultation to surgery it was done in two weeks. Universal healthcare quality is never at par with privately funded.

My situation. I pay for my own healthcare, I do qualify for free healthcare because I am a registered Native American but my employer offers a top tier BCBS plan, dental and vision plan for $41 a paycheck. You cant beat that if you wanted too and it was too good to pass up.

The people that are all gung ho about getting universal healthcare are the ones that don't contribute to the plan.
    Use common sense, right now healthcare costs are high doctor visits, checkups ect just for the people in your plan. Imagine when ACA gets into full implementation. There will be millions of Americans that will qualify for healthcare at no cost TO THEM but their cost will be averaged out over the people who do play into the plan. THIER costs of healthcare will be on the working shoulders of Americans like me.

I worked hard all my life for the American dream. We were promised life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. Too many Americans feel they are entitled to the happiness I have worked for and pursued. GTFO of my pockets!

Any of you guys that think healthcare will be free? Ask the Canadians what their tax rates are. Ask the Australians what their tax rates are. I pay about 30% of my salary to taxes and my healthcare plan. When you start having to foot the bill for this "free healthcare" and your tax rates jump to 40-50%. You must be an idiot to think it is free, doctors aren't working for free and the operation of hospitals are not run on unicorn farts and rainbows.

One of the first provision of the ACA is to tax the citizens if they do not buy a plan. Forcing American people to spend money they may not have on something they don't want is an archaic and not the American way. This plan does no good for businesses. I am glad we have people in congress willing to do what's necessary to keep America the way it should be, free.

Nimrod, I am glad you asked. We want the world to know what's really going on too.

• Bold text hurting my eyesssss
  • Why the hell did you guys have to get me worked up....
  • that is brilliant
  • edited October 2013
    Americans once again proving they are stupid by shutting down the government over the prospect of free healthcare

There is nothing free about it. Mine has gone up and I do not make much money to begin with. I am paying more to give insurance to people that are too lazy to work. Some deserve it but plenty are hopping the border and slanging drugs. This is better labeled the illegal alien and drug abuse welfare program.

That you think it is free shows the extent of the problem. It is just a means of taking more money from my family for less services. For me as a guy trying to get by without bankruptcy, no savings, living paycheck to paycheck, there is nothing free about it. I try to do the right thing for my child but for myself I would be much better off dumping the family, quitting my job, and slanging dope.
  • Americans once again proving they are stupid by shutting down the government over the prospect of free healthcare

There is nothing free about it. Mine has gone up and I do not make much money to begin with. I am paying more to give insurance to people that are too lazy to work. Some deserve it but plenty are hopping the border and slanging drugs. This is better labeled the illegal alien and drug abuse welfare program.

That you think it is free shows the extent of the problem. It is just a means of taking more money from my family for less services. For me as a guy trying to get by without bankruptcy, no savings, living paycheck to paycheck, there is nothing free about it. I try to do the right thing for my child but for myself I would be much better off dumping the family, quitting my job, and slanging dope.
    ^
  • Americans once again proving they are stupid by shutting down the government over the prospect of free healthcare

amen, I'm so tired of working so damned hard to be so damndd poor.
  • Agreed with you all. Let everyone work for their own American dream instead of trying to get me to foot the bill
  • Kind of sad hearing how common it is down there, I didn't realize it was so widespread :/
  • I was on the phone/internet trying to work out for my parents this crap....5 hours and i didn't get anywhere...will try again tommorow
  • ghosted, my tax on my pay cheques (and i am in the highest bracket in canada) is 30%, and it goes down from there based on income. I pay for my own heathcare because I make over a certain amount of money. Im fairly certain I pay $240 a year for my health care? Maybe a bit more. Either way, I will happily pay when I make as much money as I do so others can benefit from it. As for taxes in Canada I wouldnt be surprised If we get taxed less then you on average per person
  • ghosted, my tax on my pay cheques (and i am in the highest bracket in canada) is 30%, and it goes down from there based on income. I pay for my own heathcare because I make over a certain amount of money. Im fairly certain I pay $240 a year for my health care? Maybe a bit more. Either way, I will happily pay when I make as much money as I do so others can benefit from it. As for taxes in Canada I wouldnt be surprised If we get taxed less then you on average per person
    That's why we never got along... damn canadians :)
  • Also one thing to consider about the American Health Care system is that even without the government health care its really fucked anyway. The prices vary so much from hospital to hospital that it isn't even funny for example a cat scan at one hospital could be 700$ while a few blocks away it could be 1400$. There is no control by the government over any type of cost and theres really no management. The whole system is dumb not just obama care