Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watching the Superbowl but don't understand A. Football?

Comments

• pospos
    edited February 2013
    youve missed my point completely...

i said in rugby there is a need for the players to have stamina compared to nfl where there is a constant stop/start it can be less desired.

pads may hit harder but they absorb blows too, did you consider that or nah too hard to use common sense.

then you went on and argued about how nfl has more skill because of some shit that happens in game.... have you watched any other sports besides nfl? each of them requires some sort of skills to play.

70 yard pass accurate between 2 defenders -> rugby we pass backwards but there is still quick short passess, otherwise the opposition could just run through and intercept. in soccer/football they always pass the ball upfield with their feet?

or kick a 60 yard field goal -> happens regularly in rugby. lookup a guy named johnny wilkinson who fucking demolished australia doing just that.

or jump 4 feet off the ground catch the ball while Getting smashed an flipped around land on ur head an still hold on to the ball -> happens in every afl,rugby game as its considered an attacking option to place a high ball into the goal and have your wingers catch the ball. hell i'll go one further here and say that its harder in rugby because we actually have to ground the ball!

i dont care if you like nfl. my problem is when you idiots think it is one of the hardest games to play etcetc. its nowhere near it and if you bothered to watch any other sport you could see that.

its amazing what money does to boost a sport.
  • youve missed my point completely...

i said in rugby there is a need for the players to have stamina compared to nfl where there is a constant stop/start it can be less desired.

pads may hit harder but they absorb blows too, did you consider that or nah too hard to use common sense.

then you went on and argued about how nfl has more skill because of some shit that happens in game.... have you watched any other sports besides nfl? each of them requires some sort of skills to play.

70 yard pass accurate between 2 defenders -> rugby we pass backwards but there is still quick short passess, otherwise the opposition could just run through and intercept. in soccer/football they always pass the ball upfield with their feet?

or kick a 60 yard field goal -> happens regularly in rugby. lookup a guy named johnny wilkinson who fucking demolished australia doing just that.

or jump 4 feet off the ground catch the ball while Getting smashed an flipped around land on ur head an still hold on to the ball -> happens in every afl,rugby game as its considered an attacking option to place a high ball into the goal and have your wingers catch the ball. hell i'll go one further here and say that its harder in rugby because we actually have to ground the ball!

i dont care if you like nfl. my problem is when you idiots think it is one of the hardest games to play etcetc. its nowhere near it and if you bothered to watch any other sport you could see that.

its amazing what money does to boost a sport.
    I agree with most of your tirade, but I have a reply to that last line:

Generally money attracts the most competent, skilled, and talented people.
  • pospos
    edited February 2013
    yes i agree with that

what i meant with that last comment was more focused on how the amount of money in nfl has made it such a massive sport in america.

in australia the sport that will get you the most money is split between rugby/afl and some others. Thus the best of australia's athletes are spread out.

im sure if rugby was paying more then nfl in america then they would have an amazing rugby team
  • @ alpman, just proves youre a fool and your walls of text aint worth reading
  • yes i agree with that

what i meant with that last comment was more focused on how the amount of money in nfl has made it such a massive sport in america.

in australia the sport that will get you the most money is split between rugby/afl and some others. Thus the best of australia's athletes are spread out.

im sure if rugby was paying more then nfl in america then they would have an amazing rugby team
    There'd probably be a lot of black people - all richer than you.

Can you deal with that?
  • I'm biased when I say hockey requires a higher level of athleticism, so i won't even argue haha.
    I've played it fairly religiously for 17 years, whereas ive played maybe 12 hours of football in my whole life.
  • Did I read it right where I saw 680 football matches (soccer to u.s. people) were fixed, including 380 in Europe.. in a massive gambling ring. Also included were title matches (unsure of the names of the title matches) names of players and clubs involved are being withheld while the investigation continues...
  • edited February 2013
    If you watched the super bowl it was fixed. On SFs last posession by the end zone the reciever was held and no call. Now if you follow football it was a nationwide outrage when Greenbay lost a regular season game on a bad call. However as the announcers knew their place they quickly replied... well that's just the game the reps can or can not be lenient. They say this in the NBA all of the time too. So who fixes these games... the refs with belligerent calls trump the players and team to influence outcomes.

Now some may say he pushed the guy off nullifying this. It opens up a large debate in this instance. Yet we are led to believe these refs suddenly turned into networked super computers with crystal clear clarity and no flags thrown. Right...
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah... sorry man organized crime rigs sports. We are talking huge money here I know it is hard for you to grasp. Sorry to shatter your world. It is most obvious in boxing and UFC. Even Joe Rogan would tell you that you're an idiot to put your money in the hands of those refs.
  • I don't know if you check regularly, Cam Newton, but I just want to let you know that I'LL SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

• Social, whose your team?
  • edited February 2013
    NY Jets
  • He means NFL team
  • Go farm your mother!
  • edited February 2013
    I'm sorry you have Rex Ryan leading your favorite team NoSocial. So sorry man you deserve better. Dudes directing a soap opera not a football team.
  • edited February 2013
    It's management man. Let me tell you the short creation story of what I call the "Circus Period" of the NY Jets.

It's the early 2000's - you are the NY Jets, you have a terrific and smart young QB named Chad Pennington with a seasoned HOFer named Curtis Martin behind him. You have 3 WRs (2 at any one time) in dependable Wayne Chrebet, fast Laveraneus Coles, and playmaker Santana Moss. Your O-line is sprinkled with terrific veterans such as Kevin Mawae and young character and talent such as Kareem McKenzie. This would all seem to bode well except for one problem - your QB can't throw a football more than 30 yards. The Jets looked like a team that only needed to mesh more, and not draft Kickers with their first pick of the '05 draft...

So now it's '06, and your O-line has either moved on or is old. You use your first two picks on the best Tackle and Center the draft has to offer. Unfortunately Curtis Martin retired last season - oops. So you sign RB Thomas Jones next season, and knowing that you have a very good recipe for running the ball and an adequate recipe for maintaining a passing game you draft defensively the next draft (CB Revis and LB Harris). You are one of the best GMs right now - go you!

The hiring of Rex Ryan (along with bringing a few of his Ravens defenders) was a terrific move. He's very much a character man who can completely read his young players and knows when to shoot the shit with his veterans. His glaring weakness was a lack of offensive prowess, so as a GM here's what else you needed to do. You would provide an actual QB coach for your highly drafted new QB who didn't actually play a ton at college, you would provide your new QB with solid veteran WRs around him so even on his bad days he could string some easy receptions together, and you provide an offensive coordinator who doesn't throw a 5-pound playbook at his young QB and simple-minded WRs.

The opposite of all that shit happened, and Santonio Holmes doesn't count as the "character veteran" the Jets needed (who would you rather have in your locker room, Santonio Holmes or a mop handle covered in stickum).

IF YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO READ ALL THAT CRAP

Remember this - the Jets were a very well managed team up until 10 games into Brett Favre's Jet career when he tore his bicep and nobody said anything. That's when the circus rolled into town.
  • Tldr angry fans will say a sport is rigged when it doesnt go their way
  • Tldr angry fans will say a sport is rigged when it doesnt go their way
  • You definitely didn't read because the only people I've blamed were/are members of the Jets.
  • true tannenbaum wasn't bringing in enough talent and the team was much better in the mangini era and the two years following
  • lol I know nothing about A. Football.
  • Just watch any clip of Super Techmo Bowl. In fact, even if you don't like or care a shitworth about A. Football most still find it a fun game.
  • I played the shit out of Techmo Super Bowl on my NES as a kid.
  • edited February 2013
    Nut-sucker Regulars League?
  • What if the NFL logos were British?

Ravens

49ers

Bills

Sorry for spamming this topic a bit, but I thought this would help bridge the gap a bit to the chaps across the Atlantic.
    http://daveartlocker.blogspot.ca/2013/02/what-if-all-nfl-logos-were-british.html