Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watching the Superbowl but don't understand A. Football?

edited January 2013 in General
Incase you get dragged to a superbowl party or whatnot. BTW I find the superbowl the worst game to introduce a person to American Football.

Comments

• aka the only game america is good at because nobody else plays it
  • baseball and basketball also
  • they pause every 15seconds what a stupid game nothing like the real footbal
  • That is so confusing.
  • Big Uncle Ray Ray is gona tear shit up
  • What happens when you're shit at normal sports? Make some new ones. Also make sure that they're so boring and lame that no other country would even think of bothering with them, thus America reins supreme.
  • edited February 2013
    What happens when you're shit at normal sports? Make some new ones. Also make sure that they're so boring and lame that no other country would even think of bothering with them, thus America reins supreme.
    Well I'm assuming you're referring to football/soccer and rugby. By the way, every sport was "invented"... none of them came packaged in with modern homo sapiens. So how do we judge how "sporty" a nation is with some standard definition?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_table

Sorry for trying to be informative folks. I guess I should have foreseen this as an "AMREICAA SUXXXORZ" thread instead.
  • As the nazi's say, America's success at the olympics is judged by how many Negroes they send.

Seriously though, american Football is a good game. Hate for a nation shouldn't make ye hate the sport too ;)

American's were starting to develop some envy though as Hockey became increasingly popular, and now they are actually competing at a good level. I approve :D
  • I liked the flow chart myself
  • Same, like the chart too. I used to watch American football anyway to a certain extent just because people I knew used to watch it. Hell, I just saw a commercial for Superbowl on Sky News. Just couldn't get into it and much prefer football (Or "soccer" as it's called in some places)

NSG, I don't think America sucks. You can enjoy playing whatever sports you want. I just find it a little odd that no-one else bothers with them.
  • Soccer players are a bunch of pussies. I'm with Zeal...hockey is where it's at. Hockey players break their nose and go back out and play. Soccer players stub their baby toe and have to get carried off on a stretcher.

• I couldn't sit down and watch a full game of soccer if someone paid me. It fascinates me how other countries get so much enjoyment out of such a boring game. No contact, seldom scoring, etc. To me soccer is on par with golf on the excitement meter. I will never understand it, but to each their own I suppose.
  • edited February 2013
    I played American football through my young life (elementary through high school) and thought that football/soccer was boring as hell and a "pussy" sport. I never really retained much friendship with my football teammates after highschool however and started to hang out with my academic friends during the summers back from college - and most of them were interested or played socccer. I ended up playing too and found that the most physically punishing thing about soccer is there is no stoppage for you if you fall or make decent contact - which can really accelerate any bodily wear.

The game is fun, and fun to watch, but I still don't enjoy it nearly as much as American football. To me there is a lot of very minor actions that happen on an immense field, and very little planning happens to make schemes work - American Football is a chess match a lot of the time to watch but it does require having very intimate knowledge with what's occurring with every position (same with soccer, but a lot of time in soccer its just some elbow shoving).
  • Rugby players would kick American Footballers arse..

American footballers use padding??

where Rugby players don't.. they get beaten to a pulp, and just get back up and continue playing.
  • edited February 2013
    John cleese on football:

• Alpman, I can say the same things about Football.
  • Rugby players would kick American Footballers arse..

where Rugby players don't.. they get beaten to a pulp, and just get back up and continue playing.
    I've referred to this at least once before in these forums:

It's a sports science piece about the hits in rugby vs. football. The conclusion was that football hits cause twice the amount of force applied. If it came down to a fist-fight, ruggers obviously have the notoriety for being well practiced. As far as collisions, football players deal with less per game but greater force per hit.
  • God this thread is why I hate Americans. When they win, its all about how they are better, when they lose its cause they didnt care (ie. hockey)... when in fact they care, they just cant handle losing.

Hockey, by the way, is one of at least a dozen sports that is more mentally and physically demanding than football. This isnt an opinion, it's just a fact, not disputable. Tennis requires more skill than football ffs, throwing a ball accurately is infinitely easier thn hitting a ball with a tool.

endrant

• Zeal, I disagree with you on the mental demand of football, but I'll propose that tennis players are better athletes than either football or hockey players. I barely last 20 minutes playing my shitty tennis game.
  • Alpman doesnt know John Cleese? Shame on you!
  • edited February 2013
    Rugby players would kick American Footballers arse..

If Troy Polamalu hit one of your rugby players they would die. That is why they use pads here.
  • Go ahead and hit this guy without pads:

• I could show you plenty of pictures of big rugby players as well but whats the point? Your mistake here is assuming that having a big guy automatically means the game is tougher.

Maybe in your stop/start NFL gameplay these big guys fit right in, but in a game of rugby union/league the focus is on being big and having the stamina to play for a full game.

The only chance the forwards (usually the big guys) will have to great a break in rugby is either at half time (40 minutes into a game) or if they are subbed off during the game (usually a limit of subs allowed per game).

So I suppose you can be a fat shit in the NFL because you get to have a 10 minute break for every 1 minute of running, however in rugby your always on your toes and need to atleast be able to sustain your game for longer periods of time.
  • Haha never watched rugby but I cant imagine they hit as hard as NFL hits, those guys get levelled and still shatter bones despite the padding.
  • As I noted in my A. Football vs. Rugby reply, sports science showed that Rugby hits generally contain half the force of a football hit, but the way the game proceeds ruggers take more hits. Sports science isn't really too rigorous nor very scientific but it seems better grounds than a bunch of people waving their country's dick around on an Online text game.
  • must be some magical pads
  • edited February 2013
    At the NFL level they are beasts. The power is so great they are asking formula racing to help redesign the helmets. The rugby built guys have their place they could be wide receivers or special teams, tight ends, etc.. It's all about watching these extremely athletic types get destroyed by a guy that looks like he just got out of prison. It makes it almost impossible not to watch once your city has a team to root for.
  • wasnt alpman the guy who changed his mind about the identity of mrbot every day
  • Both tennis and football have about similar play lengths (when you average all the football players on the field, not just the guy with the ball). Tennis players however have much less time in between the play, and an extended play (volley) is very similar to a cornerback trying to keep up with a receiver making 7 or 8 cuts. The athleticism isn't in straight-line sprinting or brute force but being able to apply a great amount of athleticism every other step in conjunction with a well executed body swing.