Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vote Newt Gingrich

2»

Comments

• edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    Can we all remember when the second amendment was written in lieu of militias that were regularly drilled and organized by town/county governments necessitated as a paramilitary force for a fledgling country? Would you declaw a young scrounchy dog in a wild pack? Hell no. Would you declaw a healthy grown dog in a domestic and secure house? Absolutely.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not against gun ownership, nor a carry permit to transport guns. And I really think this is one of the best issues to leave up to states/municipalities. I'm in NYC everyday and it'd probably be a nightmare if it wasn't a gigantic felony to carry even an unloaded gun. But if you're in nowhere Pennsylvania (rurally, I mean), I don't think it should be such a deal.
  • Can we all remember when the second amendment was written in lieu of militias that were regularly drilled and organized by town/county governments necessitated as a paramilitary force for a fledgling country? Would you declaw a young scrounchy dog in a wild pack? Hell no. Would you declaw a healthy grown dog in a domestic and secure house? Absolutely.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not against gun ownership, nor a carry permit to transport guns. And I really think this is one of the best issues to leave up to states/municipalities. I'm in NYC everyday and it'd probably be a nightmare if it wasn't a gigantic felony to carry even an unloaded gun. But if you're in nowhere Pennsylvania (rurally, I mean), I don't think it should be such a deal.
    This isn't even a very valid point.

Fact is, the constitution guarantees the right and no one (not even the president) ought to be allowed to take that away.

Why or when have nothing to do with any of it.
  • Fine. You show me in the constitution which grants Congress the ability to enact a federal income tax.

Truth is, it DOES matter when. It took several amendments to grant freedom to blacks and sufferage to women, despite the preamble espousing universal freedom. The reason there isn't another gun amendment is because firearms are so ingratiated in American culture and don't discriminate, but the biggest reason once again is that gun control is best left a more local issue.
  • edited March 2012
    America - where the right to shoot people is more important than health care.
    America where people that are pro life more often than not support capital punishment..

IT'S A PROVEN FACT...what more evidence do you need?
    You can back up facts...
    Not if they aren't in the BIBLE, huhuhuhuh.

Taking economics out of the equation. Obama is the only candidate that doesn't blatantly support inequality and firmly supports a separation of church and state. All the repub candidates consistently pander to the religious right.
    Just for the record I would never actually vote Newt. This thread is purely for the troll. ;)
    Duh, I figure you gotta be voting for Ron.

The American political "reality" in a nutshell..

"Private capital tends to become concentrated in few hands, partly because of competition among the capitalists, and partly because technological development and the increasing division of labor encourage the formation of larger units of production at the expense of smaller ones. The result of these developments is an oligarchy of private capital the enormous power of which cannot be effectively checked even by a democratically organized political society. This is true since the members of legislative bodies are selected by political parties, largely financed or otherwise influenced by private capitalists who, for all practical purposes, separate the electorate from the legislature. The consequence is that the representatives of the people do not in fact sufficiently protect the interests of the underprivileged sections of the population. Moreover, under existing conditions, private capitalists inevitably control, directly or indirectly, the main sources of information (press, radio, education). It is thus extremely difficult, and indeed in most cases quite impossible, for the individual citizen to come to objective conclusions and to make intelligent use of his political rights."

Einstein 1949
  • http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-cohn/101741/cbo-obamacare-cost-deficit-lie-double-price-fox

The new CBO estimate for Obamacare did not show a great increase. It moved the time-frame up a year, which includes 2022, another year in which Medicaid expansion will exist (and 2011 is no longer included, which did not have the 2014 Medicaid expansion).

NIGGAAAAAAAAASSS
  • so many uninformed comments...a little teaching moment not on opinions but facts

for all you americans that have not done so AND all you non-americans that have not done so...this makes up probably every post here...read the us constitution!!!

It really does not matter what you, your friend, your dog, the UN, the world health organization, or anyone thinks! It only matters what the constitution allow the federal government to do and that is very little everything else is a state issue(unless you amend the constitution then that's fine...otherwise the law is the law)

That document basically boiled down says the federal govt has the right to protect this country and regulate interstate commerce...that's it folks!!!

In summary responding to some items discussed:

1. Romneycare - legal in Mass. it is a state program and a state issue
    2. Obamacare - unconstitutional(u may disagree that it should be a federal issue and that's fine amend the constitution, but all the arguments for it are irrelevant until it is legal)
    3. 2nd amendment: guns are legal (if you think the days of the militia are outdated great the constitution allows for u to amend it and outlaw guns until then its legal)

Opinions matter most on the state levels not at the federal level and if people understood this they would not sound so stupid when they talk to people that also do not understand this therefore it goes unnoticed. The states can do whatever they want so long as it does not contradict with the us constitution and the federal government can basically do nothing and most of what they do is unconstitutional but we don't have a law yet that says please point to the part of the constitution that gives you the power to enact a law

I GENUINELY hope that this taught somebody something that actually took the time to read it or *crosses fingers* someone actually decided to read the entire constitution and realizes "damn almost nothing the federal government does is allowed according to the law"

goodnight and goodluck
  • Maybe just like our guns and healthcare, our law should upgrade through the times. I'm sorry if you're a Constitutional strictist, but you lost with the creation of the First Bank of the United States in 1791. Blame Hamilton.
  • im not saying the law can't upgrade in fact i said repeatedly you can change it!

BUT

until you amend the constitution it is the law...the law is the law...there is do debate on most things until amendments are made...thats all...
  • im not saying the law can't upgrade in fact i said repeatedly you can change it!

BUT

until you amend the constitution it is the law...the law is the law...there is do debate on most things until amendments are made...thats all...
    How exactly does the constitution get amended if people don't debate issues?

*Ding* amendment unlocked...
  • NO DON'T YOU DARE DEBATE IT! IT HASN'T BEEN AMENDED YET, AND DON'T YOU ARGUE WITH THE AMENDMENT EITHER!
  • by debate i mean lets decide if we should make a law or not

the debate is NEVER lets amend the constitution so we can craft a law to achieve what we want

everyone just skips the step of making it legal to pass a law and jumps right to making a law that is unconstitutional....i guess it's not convenient to follow the law though