Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scavenger Hunt 2014

Comments

• My bad :) yes that post.
  • I have fun looking at these items. I will play next round. Hehehe
  • Still time to play now, i don't think Cory nor I will be finishing anytime soon...
  • i will read up soon:)
  • I could have gotten a few in DC, but we are at a stalemate! ;p
  • Thread bump:

Bowling Ball - Bowling Ball
    Hoola hoop - Hoola Hoop
  • lol, reminds me I have not downloaded the list.
  • added. :) Although I'm wondering if I should just call the game now. :P effort put in my gagazet and cory has been magnificent, but it seems like this might just sit around unfinished for quite a while.
  • this game is too much for me lol
  • its a sweet idea, Id join in at the start of the next one if there were to be one.
  • its a sweet idea, Id join in at the start of the next one if there were to be one.
    Said everyone. Lol
  • added. :) Although I'm wondering if I should just call the game now. :P effort put in my gagazet and cory has been magnificent, but it seems like this might just sit around unfinished for quite a while.
    Your call. I could get a couple more if I wanted, but my sense of competition has diminished.
  • Haha, it's good of its a race, starting now would be catch up
  • edited October 2014
    Im not knocking you, I'm knocking 100 people who said they were totally down to ride.

• Your call. I could get a couple more if I wanted, but my sense of competition has diminished.
    Yeah, I think this is pretty much the entire thing right here. *shrug*

Sign up activity was significantly greater than actual game activity turned out to be. I've already thought of some tweaks for the game that might improve that, but I doubt it'll be run again anytime soon.
  • I appreciate your work and enthusiasm ix, it was a lot of fun and I'm sure gaga would say the same.
  • If I had a less dumb phone then I would have enjoyed playing and then dropping out after 3 days of scavenging.
  • edited October 2014
    I appreciate your work and enthusiasm ix, it was a lot of fun and I'm sure gaga would say the same.
    ^ What he said. It was ridiculous fun making all those silly posts.

BTW the one image i wish i had posted:

Bridge of my nose - Bridge :P

I didn't post that one because i couldn't get a nice picture lol
  • lol such a douche, couldnt get a nice picture lol
  • make it shorter, like 30 items/descirption for 30 days. it might be fun. I will see what i can assemble along with my run and at the office.
  • So Cory and Gagazer won this round, and re-start?
    Man, this is easier than GeoCaching.
  • Yeah, we probably need a mod to unsticky this...

(*hint* & ty)
  • edited November 2014

Your call. I could get a couple more if I wanted, but my sense of competition has diminished.
    Yeah, I think this is pretty much the entire thing right here. *shrug*

Sign up activity was significantly greater than actual game activity turned out to be. I've already thought of some tweaks for the game that might improve that, but I doubt it'll be run again anytime soon.
    and i thought this would encourage me to go out more often :P

it is a fun game though
  • you should go out unreliable, it is good for ya!
  • not safe, i'm alergic to lead...
  • edited November 2014
    not safe, i'm alergic to lead...
    so, scavenger hunt indoors!

Anyone tried geo-caching? I have few geo-cachers in my area. You can go alone or go with friends...but we can update each other how many "treasures" you find in your area.

Basically, an adult version of hide and seek, or Treasure Hunting with GPS...similar to scavenger hunt concept, but will hone your skills on latitude and longitude/Datum uses, I am NAD83... etc. I have to admit that I have advantage, i took some crash course in Physical Geography. But the game is not that complicated.

Anyone with a smartphone can go, load your coordinates and join.

https://www.geocaching.com/

Let me know if you guys want to do it. We can form SK team all over the world. I will take charge of Ottawa area.
  • edited November 2014
    can i use my tablet?

i mean, whatsapp runs in the tablet, this geocraft might as wel
  • Mages: I think it is a good idea. I have few guys in my team did it last term, but it will change the game as it is winter. But still same concept.

Unreliable: I believe you can use your tablet as well, as long as you can load the GPS coordinates. Some are mostly near cities, so it is not as bad as those inside barren forest.

Here in Ottawa, there were few spots near museum..it is interesting because as you get closer to the hiding spot, the accuracy of your GPS unit keep adjusting and you will second guess yourself if you are in the right spot or not.

Mages: How was your previous experience like? Did you ever second guess yourself, then move away from the hiding spot...only to realize 500 meters after that you were actually in the right spot and the "object" was in front of you?

~Ashy
  • edited November 2014
    Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

The only necessities are a GPS device or a GPS-enabled mobile phone so that you can navigate to the cache, and a Geocaching.com Membership.

note: membership is free. My username is Ladyashnod if you have any questions.
  • Found one interesting cache in my area: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1MFXR_gag-13-en-route-1?guid=440faf25-044c-4162-ac9b-99d526aff767

The cache contained the following when placed:

cache note
    pencil
    logbook
    silica gel packet
    an unactivated travel ingot GC for the FTF
    “Found it!” pin
    three world erasers
    three antique map magnets
    a green mini-container
    three skull and crossbones stamps
    a bag of 'three blind mice'