Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sk community game

Comments

• There is a difference between an OS that drives the open source world, and trying to create a game with a small group of hardly motivated and unskilled people.
  • There is a difference between an OS that drives the open source world, and trying to create a game with a small group of hardly motivated and unskilled people.
    There is always strength in numbers.
    The fact that we talk about it, there is motivation. To sustain that into a project, needs a little bit of nudge, organization, and some leaders.
  • I did a goc design that a few liked, but again holo was all talk.
  • I'm still willing to contribute, but yeah, someone would have to step up to organize it all. I have motivation, but not skill, knowledge, or experience.

I can make 3d models out of concept art. I don't have a ton of experience in it and texturing isn't my strong point, but I have made some in the past and make a few models in my spare time for other projects. Recently, I've been playing around with cel shading to create cartoony looking 3d models and it probably wouldn't be too much work turning 3d animations and scenes into 2.5d for non-3d games.
  • So, what do you got here?

@Barricade have GOC design. What is the next step to this process?
    Any link or web pages that we can take a look?

@Xel: Kindly show us your 3D models of concept art. Just to have an idea where we fit in the total project.

@Jerry: Scroller-type game. Add link or pictures, or design concept here? Let us see what is the next step to make it.

Anyone else?
  • Here's a low-poly ant I made a while back:

I don't remember exactly how long it took to make, but it was only a few hours. It looks low quality because I was trying to see just how low I could take the polycount without it turning into some minecraft-looking cube shape. If I wasn't making a model for 3d, but 2.5d, it could be much higher quality.

I have a rigged earlier version with a simple walking animation, as well as a few other models/animations, but they're on my old hard drive and I don't feel like hooking that up right now. Most of the ones I have on this hard drive are for a project for someone else and I can't really show them, but none of those are for a game or anything like that so it'd be irrelevant anyways.
  • Here's a low-poly ant I made a while back:

I don't remember exactly how long it took to make, but it was only a few hours. It looks low quality because I was trying to see just how low I could take the polycount without it turning into some minecraft-looking cube shape. If I wasn't making a model for 3d, but 2.5d, it could be much higher quality.

I have a rigged earlier version with a simple walking animation, as well as a few other models/animations, but they're on my old hard drive and I don't feel like hooking that up right now. Most of the ones I have on this hard drive are for a project for someone else and I can't really show them, but none of those are for a game or anything like that so it'd be irrelevant anyways.
    pretty cool but ants have 6 legs riiiighht? Why doest it have 2 extra legs sticking out its head? O_o
  • edited January 2015
    Nothing special. Just something better than his retro look.

http://i57.tinypic.com/156e36g.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rwkldk.jpg
  • Thanks Barricade. My PC is now infested with viruses.
  • The insane jpg virus?
  • Don't act as if you don't know what I'm talking about. YOU KNOW.
  • GOC blinded you?
  • pretty cool but ants have 6 legs riiiighht? Why doest it have 2 extra legs sticking out its head? O_o
    I'm 99% sure this is just your weird, unique way of trolling by asking questions that have obvious answers, but I'll bite: those are antennae, not legs.
  • pretty cool but ants have 6 legs riiiighht? Why doest it have 2 extra legs sticking out its head? O_o
    I'm 99% sure this is just your weird, unique way of trolling by asking questions that have obvious answers, but I'll bite: those are antennae, not legs.

Oooh cool so it can like receive radio signals, pretty sure you only need 1 antenna for that though but still I like the creativity!

Oooh cool so it can like receive radio signals, pretty sure you only need 1 antenna for that though but still I like the creativity!
    Xel: I think some actually don't know much about antennae.LOL (thats puppy for you), but he come up with a nice come back. It is a nice rendering actually...wonder if we can incorporate that into a story for a propose game?
  • @Barricade, So this Gears of Conquest, you have some sort of manual for this, added to this screenshots? Is this text base too, like Utopia, SK?

Because...see, this can be another Sk like game we can all play, with active mod like you?

What is the next step for further development into GOC?

LOT is still around, and it seems to me that Juxta is maintaining it very well.
  • LEGIONS OF TERCIA MOTHERFUCKERS
  • edited January 2015
    pretty cool but ants have 6 legs riiiighht? Why doest it have 2 extra legs sticking out its head? O_o

<3
  • @Barricade, So this Gears of Conquest, you have some sort of manual for this, added to this screenshots? Is this text base too, like Utopia, SK?

Because...see, this can be another Sk like game we can all play, with active mod like you?

Haha. GOC has long been dead. It lasted like a year and gradually killed itself with drama.

It had an active admin, but his coding was poorly done. Many rounds go screwed because he didnt test it. Players were demanding changes, it never really got the right balance. It has some good features, exactly the same as sk. Used an old version of sk and then changed things. Like the planet types were more balanced, sl didnt give offensive and defensive things. There was way less cheating, but many players would not change from sk. It might have been successful, but holo is another who just talks, but gets lazy. Oceanic was awesome :)

Haha. GOC has long been dead. It lasted like a year and gradually killed itself with drama.

It had an active admin, but his coding was poorly done. Many rounds go screwed because he didnt test it. Players were demanding changes, it never really got the right balance. It has some good features, exactly the same as sk. Used an old version of sk and then changed things. Like the planet types were more balanced, sl didnt give offensive and defensive things. There was way less cheating, but many players would not change from sk. It might have been successful, but holo is another who just talks, but gets lazy. Oceanic was awesome :)
    That is actually interesting, balance, active admin...with drama...

I've seen games that is also over-run by user demands, those the coders feel overwhelmed, and you cannot make everyone happy.... so it disintegrate.

Makes me wonder if Bcart's ignore button is a recipe for survival of the game?
  • and Bean was/is completely nuts.

So no one wants a game with graphics, eh?
  • i could use a nice graphics..LARP?

So no one wants a game with graphics, eh?
    i've been thinking on a game based on that movie "hypercube"

would be an entirely 3d maze game with option for realtime or turnbased.

Xel: I think some actually don't know much about antennae.LOL (thats puppy for you), but he come up with a nice come back. It is a nice rendering actually...wonder if we can incorporate that into a story for a propose game?
    Honestly, I'd rather make something entirely new. That ant was just me playing around in blender. If someone passes me some concept art, I wouldn't mind making a model out of it just from boredom. No phallic concept art, though.
  • No phallic concept art, though.

Come on, that's the kind of art that sells.
  • I'm working on that sidescrolling lately using GameMaker-Studio 1.4
  • No phallic concept art, though.

Come on, that's the kind of art that sells.
    Only when coupled with gigantic breasticles.

^^ This!
  • Anyone rise realize this thread is nearly 100 posts in and the conversation hasn't moved past how someone would find the time to work on it?

Going places this idea will.