Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sk community game

XelXel
edited December 2014 in General
Over the years, I've spontaneously gotten urges to make games, but since my knowledge of coding is equal to an elementary schooler's, I've usually just given up after a few days of trying to learn any coding language. Recently, my old "I wanna make a game" itch started acting up again, and it made me wonder about something: Has the SK community ever gotten together to make a game, other than lame-ass SK clones? This forum is a potent concentration of some of the nerdiest people I've ever met. Surely some people here have the knowledge, time, and willpower to create a game that is more than just a joke. I know there are a few that definitely have the coding knowledge, and over the years, I've seen people with artistic skills or storytelling abilities that just get buried in the endless threads about bots, multis, and general sk drama. I'm just curious if this community could ever actually pull off such a feat. If anything, I think even a terrible, unfinished game would at least go down in SK history.

Comments

• Juxta made several that were good.
  • Well, I don't know anything about those, but I'm talking about several people from sk working together to make games, not just one person.
  • Mages has the storytelling and i believe there are plenty of coders and graphic designers here. The hard part is to get them working together, good luck.
  • RyanOrZ had one called TerraSolaris that wasn't a SK clone...that one was fun and jim3doors and I and a few SK friends went and broke it with our skills. They had to put limitations on things to slow us down so Ryans friends could stay in the lead. :p
  • juxta's was like dota in sk form
  • I likes to write :) and know nothing about anything else besides what I can google
  • ahh.. somebody just mentioned "dota" there got my attention
  • I must say...I always thought I could write a good story for a game...I would just have no idea how to make a game.
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    I don't think finding the right people would be the problem, to be honest. Like I said, this place is filled with people with the right skill sets to do it. It's more a problem of motivation and time.

Depending on the type of game (let's assume general game with a little bit of everything for argument's sake), we would need a writer for the story/characters, a concept artist for the general art style, someone who is good with audio/music, people with coding knowledge in w/e language/engine used, 3-d modeler (if 3-d models are to be used) for bringing concept art to life, animators, level editors for creating the game world, and testers/debuggers to pick out flaws. Probably more, but I dunno, I've never made a game lol.
  • That and a common theme...or else it would be a Cacophony of Beautiful Randomnocity.
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    Well, common theme and ideas for the game would just be what's decided on by the people making it.

Personally, I like rpgs and sandbox games. I know some people like rts and fps games. For an sk community game, it'd be nice to have an sk theme. It could be w/e though, I just wanna see what's possible.
  • Aye...well I volunteer as tribute to help write the fantasmic game of the century...of the week.
  • how about we play D&D over firecast?
  • lol it would just be fun to be a fly on the wall for a dole/mages brainstorm session I think ;)

also, don't bash randomnocity...especially for a sk community-generated game
  • Cacophony of Beautiful Randomnocity!
  • You don't need half of that stuff if you're going text based.
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    Why stop at text-based if there is available manpower for going beyond? I do a little bit of 3-d modelling/animation, but I've never had a chance to put it to the limits.
  • The game i was most recently developing was very D&D like Unreliable. I have the beginnings of class ideas that would give buffs based on type, quests that reward experience & gold, or stockade time if you fail. Customizable weapons to fit your persona, different shit.
    I started a short story that would go along with this game... it got 3 pages in before I forgot to keep writing. :D
  • Why stop at text-based if there is available manpower for going beyond?
    Xel for CEO of SKPF Gaming
  • Why stop at text-based if there is available manpower for going beyond?
    Xel for CEO of SKPF Gaming
    Nah, if I'm CEO, company would be bankrupt before it even started. I don't want to sell games, I just want to make and play them.
  • Why stop at text-based if there is available manpower for going beyond? I do a little bit of 3-d modelling/animation, but I've never had a chance to put it to the limits.

I don't say this to be negative, but everyone starts stuff full of enthusiasm and good intentions, and then it stops being fun to work on and they leave in. If you're for real about this, get your group of people together and do a few smaller projects before getting after the big one. Learn to work together and who is really serious before it kills your whole idea
  • Why stop at text-based if there is available manpower for going beyond? I do a little bit of 3-d modelling/animation, but I've never had a chance to put it to the limits.

I don't say this to be negative, but everyone starts stuff full of enthusiasm and good intentions, and then it stops being fun to work on and they leave in. If you're for real about this, get your group of people together and do a few smaller projects before getting after the big one. Learn to work together and who is really serious before it kills your whole idea
    Well, I'm not expecting a AAA title. The game doesn't have to be overly complex for it to include art/animation/music/sound. The time spent by two people (coder/writer) making a text-based game shouldn't be too different than the time spent by multiple people (coder/writer/artist/musician/etc) making a graphical game of similar depth. I know reality is different than whats seen through the rose-tinted glasses of the beginning of a project. I'm just saying, if we have the people, we should be at least a little more ambitious than a text-based game.
  • The game i was most recently developing was very D&D like Unreliable. I have the beginnings of class ideas that would give buffs based on type, quests that reward experience & gold, or stockade time if you fail. Customizable weapons to fit your persona, different shit.
    i suddenly remembered those rpg book-games, where you read, and the page sends you to the next one...i died a lot hahaha
    i suddenly remembered those rpg book-games, where you read, and the page sends you to the next one...i died a lot hahaha
    I have run some live game Choose the Next Adventure games with writer friends of mine...very very very fun.
  • That would be awesome ><

I would always die

^ that is a plus

ooooh there was one like that on a phone app...can't remember the name

wouldn't mind writing for one of those at all xD
  • Well, let's see what you would-be writers are capable of. How about a short sampling of a story written in the SK universe under this choose-your-own-adventure style? Maybe a day in the life of a dragoon or something. Nothing too long, just something to get a feel of it.
  • I'm only good at writing saucy playboy letters

"It my first round back, and of all those familiar faces I saw, it was Rohan that caught my eye. Sure, it was awkward at first, it being so long and our history long since buried, but I could see in his eyes I still meant something to him."

$5 for the next part
  • Well, let's see what you would-be writers are capable of. How about a short sampling of a story written in the SK universe under this choose-your-own-adventure style? Maybe a day in the life of a dragoon or something. Nothing too long, just something to get a feel of it.
    Hahaha, I wrote a story about the leader of a kingdom a while ago dealing with his 4 war leaders and economics. The politics of aggressive KDs they have to defend from and helping avenge a friend that he had a NAP with blah blah blah. I'm sure it was horrible. It was posted in some AFs.

• edited December 2014
    I've made a few mobile games now; lovsan works for/worked for Nokia. Fepo knows how to scam people out of money for programming work I've heard, so just FYI.