Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Matrix WW Signups

Comments

• Lol loaf
  • Yeah just have kloudi play again. As long as she jumps on 2times a day she will be more active then some of our resident perma players
  • its not her activity that worries me, she has no clue what is going on and i kinda suck at explaining things. if we have different roles i wont be able to help her like last time. and i dont want to have the same role, because i realize she needs to learn to play.
  • I really have no clue what I am doing I usually get on twice to check messages but really don't know what to say... :C sorry
  • Damdred is a great mod and would push her to utilize the extended day time to get any questions out of the way.
  • yes i would i'm a good mod to talk to XD
  • Read ANYTHING Ixta writes and you are instantly better..
  • ^^ this.
  • This is the first time I have ever been on a forum in my life so I really REALLY have no clue
  • I know kung fu.
  • show me
  • There is no spoon.
  • you think that's air you're breathing?
  • where is this new guy coming from?
  • girl. and she will play
  • U cant force her to play what she doesnt understand

give her a good role u noobs !
  • Loaf. Are you referring to Kloudi or the other one?
  • Who....
  • she had a chance last round to sit back and watch cory, daru and meadows on the evil team (and, might i say, that was my best game so far). she just doesnt really get the flow of the game yet. i really suck at explaining things like this so i dont know what to tell her to get her to wrap her head around it.

she wants to get into it though
  • I'll play.
  • Sci thats not right. you will float off
  • she had a chance last round to sit back and watch cory, daru and meadows on the evil team (and, might i say, that was my best game so far). she just doesnt really get the flow of the game yet. i really suck at explaining things like this so i dont know what to tell her to get her to wrap her head around it.

she wants to get into it though
    azalieo, the following things:

1. Read everything game moderatos writes.
    2. Read who is voting for whom
    *3. Try to read the discussions between players and feel who is telling the truth, who makes sense, etc.

*This one takes time, she's allowed to make mistakes, even to get everything wrong. Sometimes you just realize your thoughts were wrong, like i did this round with loafery. But its ok. Nobody will hate her for making mistakes (hopefully).

these are what i think as the first things to keep in mind...later ixta will post the other 47, because i dont know them

• or just play mafia in real life

its the same principles just thats one is more fun when ur drunk and the other is just text based
  • a sudden influx of players mwha
  • i really wish i had enough friends to play a real game of mafia

we have skype calls with about 10 people in them, i've always felt like we were still two people short
  • later ixta will post the other 47, because i dont know them
    XD 47? man.... I'll give it a shot, but I'm not keeping count. You'll have to tell me if I hit 47 or not.

Ok, Kloudi, I don't know what you already know, so I'm going to start from the very basics, and try to give a general overview of werewolf games in general. For this beginning bit, I'll ignore all of the potential differences in rule sets.

Werewolf (also known as Mafia) started off as a party game. You have a set of players who are secretly divide into factions. Generally you have 2 groups, the uninformed majority, and the informed minority.

The informed minority are considered the bad guys of the game. They're kind of like a tiny terrorist cell in the game. They know who each other are, and their goal is to kill off every player besides themselves without being discovered. They're allowed to speak and make plans, and will develop strategies to get people to trust them.

The uninformed majority of the players are considered the good guys of the game. They know the bad guys exist, but they don't know who they are. The point of the game, if you are a good guy, is to try and figure out who the bad guys are, and kill them before they kill you. It's not an easy task.

The game has two alternating phases, night and day.

During the "day" all the players are free to talk here in the forums. Remember, the goal of the good guys is to figure out who the bad guys are and kill them. Everything you do during the day should be directed towards that goal if you are a good guy. This is the point where it becomes a very psychological game. Some people won't be working towards that goal. They don't have to figure out who the bad guys are, because they are the bad guys. You have to try and identify who seems like they're genuinely trying to figure out the game, and who looks like they are engaging in misdirection. If you see someone who seems like they might be a bad guy, you want to call them out on it, because the end of every day ends with one death, decided by popular vote. This death vote is one of the good guys' very few (if not only) weapons against the bad guys. A basic fact of the game is that if you do not kill bad guys during the day, they will win the game.

If you are town, and new to the game, you may feel a little hesitant about contributing. This is bad on several levels, but mainly because it might make people feel more suspicious of you. If you are town, and you are making yourself look suspicious, then you're hurting your team by creating a distraction from the real bad guys. You may also be afraid of making mistakes, but you shouldn't worry about that. First, you're just one voice in a crowd. Even if you strongly advocate killing one person, other's won't go along with it unless they agree that you have good points. Second, in every game, town will make mistakes. It's actually planned into the rules of the game. Town can usually kill the wrong person 3-4 times before they're in any real danger. Don't let fear hold you back, or you're going to be the distraction causing the mistakes to be made, and that's worse.

If you end up as a bad guy, then your position is entirely reversed. Your goal is no longer to look for the bad guys, your goal is to look like you're looking for the bad guys, while secretly making the good guys suspicious of each other. It's a bit like taking up acting. You have to pretend you're doing the same things as everyone else, while actually working against them. If you're a bad guy, making mistakes is 10 times scarier, but again, don't let that lead you into paralysis. Inactivity and reluctance to do things generally gets people killed, and staying alive is way more important for a bad guy than it is for a good guy. That means, be active. Look like you're actively trying to find and kill bad guys. As long as you do that, you're good to go.

Not everything always works out perfectly of course. There's tons of different possible strategies to use, all for a variety of reasons. I'm not getting into specifics at this point.

That more or less covers the "day" part of the game, and after the 'day' comes the 'night.

During the night, all the good guys are expected to "sleep". This leaves the bad guys free to covertly kill someone. The bad guys generally discuss their options in their private chat, and come to a group consensus. They'll usually want to kill someone who seems like a strong town leader, or perhaps someone who seems to have correct suspicions about who is evil. However, there's a lot of ways to make that decision, and sometimes their goal is to use the kill to incriminate someone else.

Oftentimes there are additional roles in the game that are allowed to use their powers at night. These roles are assigned secretly, and you should never tell anyone that you have one (barring special circumstances). If you are a good guy with a special power, it will allow you to gain extra information, or perform other actions at night, but it makes you a prime candidate to get killed by the bad guys. They really don't want any other powers at work in the game, because those powers are dangerous to them. Sometimes you should tell people about your role, but it's usually only if you're about to get killed anyway (killed by the good guys during the day), or if you have a lot of good information (like: my power told me that players x and y are both bad guys!). Something like that is very helpful to the other good guys.

When it comes to roles and powers, it's difficult to be specific, because every game is slightly different. Each moderator has different rules and roles. If you can, read the rules carefully, and try to figure out how to make your role as effectively as it can possibly be, while working towards your faction's goal.

The game will continue alternating between 'day' and 'night' until one team wins. The good guys win by killing all the bad guys. The bad guys win by killing all the good guys. Generally speaking, if the game gets down to a tie, say 2 good guys vs 2 bad guys, the moderator will generally call the game over, with the bad guys as the winners, because at that point, the good guys don't have the votes to kill off a bad guy, and can't prevent them from winning.
  • i really wish i had enough friends to play a real game of mafia

we have skype calls with about 10 people in them, i've always felt like we were still two people short
    how do the skype games go? I've thought about that before, but it always seemed like it'd be difficult.
This discussion has been closed.