Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lynog, JonesL, or any other GOOD Builder

edited March 2014 in General
So everyone knows 95% of the time I run Misty. I know ML. This round I decided to try Terra. I have just a couple questions for people as I truly know next to nothing about this PT. I am stepping outside my comfort zone, though honestly not by much. I have RWC maxed already and that gets my returns down to ALMOST Misty state.

Question #1.
Power Plants:
what percentage should I be running? I know the standard is 10% but I normally run 5-6% on ML unless I know we are going to war and there's a possibility I get KT'd, which is a possibility in an War lol, at that point I push them to 10-12%. If my power research bonus is maxed, can I get away with running 8-9%? With full shields? Im not in the habit of building PPs and usually with my ML if I have 21 planets to build on... 16 will go to res/rax/sms/pfs as I dont normally run TCs either and then the 5 leftover may go to PPs unless I have 10+ land coming from explore etc... basically on ML, pps are an after thought.

Question #2.
Money:
I read Flazer's math about pop making more cash than sms, but at what point does that really kick in? After longevity? Or any time? My pop and money bonuses are of course maxed.

Question #3.
Tanks vs Goons/LDs:
I'm usually a Goons/LDs kind of guy. Thats why I dont run TCs usually. Now thats not to say I dont build tanks, but normally I have 33-50% tanks vs my goons/lds. Is that still a viable strategy here? Or would it be better to have a greater percentage of tanks? I know people say MOAR TANKS all the time, but Im looking for an optimal strategy here.

Question #4.
Advice:
Not really a question, but just curious if theres any hidden advice or tricks you guys want to reveal? Dont have to post them here... I open to PMs either in game or to my PF account. In game Im Piety 1:17 and of course anyone can probe me for info lol. I would rather see PAs that way if Im hittable... at least I didnt supply that info myself hahaha.

Thanks in advance guys. I know the Trolls are lurking.. but thats ok, I'm just trying to better myself here and not waste a round when there are so many knowledgable people around.

Comments

• Ill star with question 2 pop on a terra is usually best income always but especially after longevity. Its the best way to make money but you leave yourself open to being arsond and needing days to rebuild. so itts a do at your own risk.

pp when i played terra i stuck at 7-8% early but as pop grows well.....11% i think i ended up as

as always if you do a high pop strat go with those lds/goons cheap and built in huges amounts especially this round.

• both of those guys suck, though.
  • Thanks Ian. At the end was your Power Bonus still maxed or did that fall off?
  • no percentage, just calc it

PC at around 3-1% of total accumulation, can go lower later round goes

1.75 per building, 0.7 for bio units, 1.4 for mechanical, 0.25 for pop
    sum it up divide by 1.5 multiply by 140 (for fpps) count how many fpps you have, add in 1-5% more of your total, could be more could be less, I just wing it and hope for best. when I did high pop I had 10% pps, maybe even higher

without longevity, its about even, a bit better to do res income, with longevity its better

high pop, goons
    no tcs, goons
    tcs, high pop, depends how much you rob and make

early game is usually mostly tanks unless you have a load of soldiers that you can make w/e without hurting your soldier count in case you make a lot of money
  • both of those guys suck, though.
    Then what is your advice?

• I think tanks are pretty obsolete this round.
    not really, especially early game.
  • no percentage, just calc it

PC at around 3-1% of total accumulation, can go lower later round goes

1.75 per building, 0.7 for bio units, 1.4 for mechanical, 0.25 for pop
    sum it up divide by 1.5 multiply by 140 (for fpps) count how many fpps you have, add in 1-5% more of your total, could be more could be less, I just wing it and hope for best. when I did high pop I had 10% pps, maybe even higher

without longevity, its about even, a bit better to do res income, with longevity its better

high pop, goons
    no tcs, goons
    tcs, high pop, depends how much you rob and make

early game is usually mostly tanks unless you have a load of soldiers that you can make w/e without hurting your soldier count in case you make a lot of money
    Ok so taking everything you said, run high pop for income and with that high pop... go goons/lds. That would be the optimal build at that point and then keep PPs at 10-11% ish depending on calculations? And of course no TCs?
  • thats what I did, but its really tough to keep research maxed later on, its very tough and you run the risk of being arsoned or sabo'd which just ruins your kingdom

I never bothered with goons until 3 weeks remaining in the last round
    i kind of regret not making tcs this rd

if i had tcs i could make tanks which leaves more soldiers for goons and i can make scis more cheaper :(
  • If you play terra just mass probes and mass tanks, spread for banks, tank a chill pill and get your researches, make a friend or two with high pop, go RR and then quit of boredom when three alliances combined can't kill you.

//King Ivar
  • edited March 2014
    @Darius

But with low returns now (again rwc is maxed) having a surplus of tanks to do ghetto-mistycides would be helpful... just like ML. That is the main reason I usually have 33-50% tanks. Helps bust open KTs and people dont like seeing a bunch of tanks..
  • Pop>sm after longevity fact. I had 900k pop one round wasnt to farbehind a rr fw that round. meadows. happened so i couldn't utaluze it
  • so moral of the story...go r/r
  • Lol my main problem with running High Pop... I always try to max train solds haha
    i kind of regret not making tcs this rd

if i had tcs i could make tanks which leaves more soldiers for goons and i can make scis more cheaper :(
    I don't see the point when DWs can just mass 30% more goons. You might as well mass 30% more LD's instead of scrambling for change to build tanks.
  • If you play terra just go RR and share your account so you can't be pk'd

//King Ivar
  • Also I wouldn't skimp tcs on s1 unless you're literally just exploring and barely making military at all.
  • If you play terra just go RR and share your account so you can't be pk'd

//King Ivar
    Naw, i just gave it away. I had already quit by then.
  • Also I wouldn't skimp tcs on s1 unless you're literally just exploring and barely making military at all.
    even on dw?
  • Aero youre shite, stop giving advice out, same goes for Darius.
  • 1. Like people said, just get it so you have a healthy power income and power store. Varies depending on build what % you need to run..

2. I prefer sms for income just because it's more stable and can't be messed with as much. Especially with round bonus I think it's good to go high pop on terra until 1,5k land then just started smashing out sms keeping only the amount of res you need for goons/lds.

3. Tanks are majorly underpowered this round with the bonus, I really like tanks in general it's just really hard to justify them with this round bonus on any pt.

4. Find good robs, that is the be all and end all. If you can't rob good you ain't shit haha.
  • I run my Terra a bit differently than the others, but this is what i do:

Note, im a probe income guy early so it tends to affect build a bit, usually start making Mines at 400-500pfs.
    Tanks/Scis early, maybe having 800 tanks offense, and enough to be 5% over top offense for D- and all else goes to scis - until you get LDs. At that point, you spam the hell out of Lds and those tanks become your offense (bringing you to about top 40 Offense)
    Once you get TFs, you mass the heck out of them bringing you to top 10+ offense - and those tanks go back to being defence/O help if a grab is just out of range. doing this pretty much buys you 2 days of TF making without having to look at D - which is scary cause you have big income, and big probes to rob even more. (2500ish land)

NOTE: This is after newbie mode.

Res - I have a minimum amount of soldiers (buffer) that i keep at any given time. From early game on I will have at least 1000 soldiers (up to 5k soldiers by midround - which is my end game) My goal for population is to keep my soldiers somewhere between 2x and 5x my buffer at all times while maintaining safe defence. (buffer is based on cost in tanks of either 10 max robs (up to 2mill cash) or 10 hrs income, whichever is greater) When it falls below 2-2.5x, I make more res, if it gets to 5x, i have way too many and only make mines. This buys enough time to make res before ending up at 0 soldiers and sitting on cash. If i hit my buffer when im on LDs/TFs stage, its TANKS/TFs ONLY from there until i get my buffer back. This is the only time i make tanks after getting LDs.

I, personally, do not see the point in carrying population if i am not going to max out soldier production from them.

PPs - enough power gain to have 10% shields, though, I rarely use shields since i always keep good D - this round sucks for my strategy since the DWs can pump out too many goons at 30% pop. I don't keep percentages, it all depends on the power I need. Positive power = good, negative power = bad. Usually it floats around 8%

Money - as I said above, My residences are used to carry a buffer of soldiers, all else goes to mines. I hate relying on pop income because its so easily wrecked. Mines are safer, even if they may not be the optimum method. Also, it gets too hard to keep mil/money/pop maxed and so i always drop pop first... making mines more valuable long term, for me.

TCs - I almost always run them 10%, since tanks/scis/TFs make it worthwhile

PFs - basically i run 40/60 res to PFs early, 0 mines, with the bare minimum of other buildings. Once i hit 500 pfs, usually at around 10k probes (1300 land give or take), I ween off them for a while as this is when there is a lull in banks. I then go into the strategy above with res vs mines - while sprinkling in pfs here and there to keep my ratio up over 10probes/land on my own kd (which is usually top 20 land by then)

I cant really say building percentages because it changes for me throughout the round. Res start at like 35% and work their way down to 12%, whereas mines start at 0% and progressively get to 30-35%

PFs start at 40-45% and go down to 10%

PPs are dependent on where im at in the game - 7-10%

TCs stay 10-11%

I realize this probably isn't the "optimal" way of playing terra, but the strategy always works for me and how i play the game.

So help a Brotha out here! Or have these guys pretty much nailed it already?
  • Lynog is just pissed since he needs three guys to win against me.
  • You have a few good builds jones posted good stuff to. but your play style its up to you pie baby
    Mercer and Jones know their shit, i have actually only skimmed the thread coz i just got home, if what they said hasnt helped then pop on AIM or Skype inabit and ill explain in more depth what you should be doing.
  • Lynog is just pissed since he needs three guys to win against me.
    you know full well thats a lie ol buddy, i literally rolled your into quitting the game. With utter ease aswell. Chump
  • Thanks JonesL and Mercer, pretty sound advice there. A little different... but more or less the same. Its time to take some of this advice and kinda make it my own.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. I will check back any time I see new posts or if I have more questions.

Again, I do appreciate all the advice.
    Mercer and Jones know their shit, i have actually only skimmed the thread coz i just got home, if what they said hasnt helped then pop on AIM or Skype inabit and ill explain in more depth what you should be doing.
    I may download AIM and hit you up on there... but thats asking a lot :-)