Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dota 2

edited November 2013 in General
Who is gonna teach me the ways of this?

Comments

• start the game, go to the play against bots section, stay there until you dont have that question in your mind anymore
  • Or play League.
  • there is a tutorial you need to play before you can go online and do matchmaking. you would be best to practice against bots before doing matchmaking anyway.

there are also a few popular guides/videos around that you could read if you need help in regards to the game or heros.

this guide is probably the most popular:
    http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
  • It's a lot less frustrating to come into the game now than it was back in the beta. I'd just hop in and prepare to get flamed. Trial by fire. Don't worry about your record it doesn't matter. You must become like water.
  • The training does help you abit, its mostly stuff you'd figure out by yourself. Just start queing as soon as you can, the training doesnt teach you about what items counter heros etc or what you should build vs certain teams ( eg: force staffs for clockwork cogs, a yuls for abadon ults), the in game guides are pretty good for starters.

You can only learn from playing in the real enviroment. The people on dota are complete retards that lack socials skills, i came to dota from wow and couldnt believe it so as dank said be prepared for retards
  • Diretide is coming in the new patch so you can just jump into those matches and learn. They are short so less hate.
  • I tried it a bit. The biggest hurdle and turnoff for me is how much knowledge you need for all the items
  • edited November 2013
    I tried it a bit. The biggest hurdle and turnoff for me is how much knowledge you need for all the items
    How long ago did you try it?

There is a default recommended list of items to buy or you can use a complete custom guide.

The guides even go as far as to tell you what to skill and what to use it for.

Don't hate the game just cause it has a learning curve. I'm personally sick of games these days being dumbed down for the console casuals.
  • I'm not saying it should be dumbed down. I'm just saying its my biggest obstacle to the game because it'll take like a year for me to get even close to as knowledgeable about the items and mechanics an strategy as I am with LoL that doesn't even include every skillset of each champion. And much like LoL I severely doubt any sort of recommended build is very useful since situations change drastically in game. My small experience with the game tells me this knowledge is crucial because of how unforgiving it is. For example, it's just vital to know every champion's skillset so you know how far away you have to be and what to look out for.

It's been a few months but I have like ten games under m belt I think. Mostly I've tried this support guy, a girl riding a tiger with an auto that bounces and can clear jungles fast, queen of pain (my favorite so far) sniper and Luna. It just seems like a big time commitment to even learn the game.
  • Coming from LOL I feel that you do have a better idea of whats required in the game compared with somebody that hasn't played an action RTS at all.

Learning how to play is always a problem in these types of games and item choices and skill builds can be essential to get right but most of the time it isn't as important as you're talking about (especially in public games where things are never as coordinated).

In the end if you realise what item you should of bought or what skill you should of levelled then that is part of learning how to play. You should not make the same mistake next game.

If you yourself don't have the motivation then there is nothing I can do to convice you otherwise. :)
  • Coming from LOL I feel that you do have a better idea of whats required in the game compared with somebody that hasn't played an action RTS at all.

Learning how to play is always a problem in these types of games and item choices and skill builds can be essential to get right but most of the time it isn't as important as you're talking about (especially in public games where things are never as coordinated).

In the end if you realise what item you should of bought or what skill you should of levelled then that is part of learning how to play. You should not make the same mistake next game.

If you yourself don't have the motivation then there is nothing I can do to convice you otherwise. :)
    Please go back to trolling, it makes me sad when you post like this.
  • edited November 2013
    I quit my job last week and don't start my new one until Monday. So if you want someone to show you the ropes or anybody needs a buddy to group holla. I'm totally available my only appointment this week is picking the kid up from preschool. Just dropped 3 and a half stacks into my Camaro if you want to race Mal. My driver window still won't roll down though so if you desire to accept be sure to pull up on the passenger side to inform me.
  • Will do. Ill roll up in my envoy or yaris and rev it up so you know. On a related note we should have a drink
  • The fact that the two of you even associate outside of SK is baffling.
  • I've known/known of dank for over a decade. Sometimes we were cool and sometimes I wanted to strangle him. And we happened to find out that we lived at one point not even half a mile away so we met and had some drinks. It was fun and I'd love to do it again. I don't really truly hate anyone in this community and would do the same with anyone here under similar circumstances
  • New update will help a lot with coaching new players tomorrow.
  • Diretide is here. If you want to learn Dota with short meaningless matches now is the time to do so.
  • recently played a match with 2 new guys, one earth thing and the other fire thing...

the fire one seemed op...specially with that long spell shield
  • New heroes are good. Diretide is fun.
  • If the severs stopped crashing that would be great.
  • The fire spirit isnt as good as everyone thinks, Its abilities dont scale that well, his second skill when he randomly attacks targets in the area for damage is garbage at all levels, his root is meh.

The stone guy on the other hand is cool, he was a tusk roll, can pull players back to him and his team with the magnetic Stone rements, hes like half tusk half magnus
  • After reading what you wrote about Ember Sprit, I don't think you realise how the character plays.

His W isn't meant to damage from the ability itself but instead the auto attacks. If you have a maelstrom or battlefury then the proc/cleave = more damage.

He's basically a very mobile quick DPSer.
    diretide?
  • edited November 2013
    At one point I had the entire collection of tricked out 3x unusual greevils including the dreaded corp aura. I started playing around in their market. It is a very confusing place to new people. They would list their items at the wrong price not noticing the stats. I would make twenty bucks at work screwing around on breaks. Buy for 8 sell for 16. I've made a few hundred bucks and bought all kinds of dota crap with the profits. These shadow essences are dropping like candy they were about fifty bucks the other day now a buck fifty. I sold my last dreaded for 25 a minute ago and I can likely get him back for peanuts I already had one shadow drop. Just felt like sharing a story about how I hustled a nice chunk of cash slanging greevils on dota. If you look at my steam page it has tons of people giving rep for trades. I've got some other hustles as well but greevils were easy money.
    diretide?
    New mini game on DOTA. 2 weeks only.

• If the severs stopped crashing that would be great.
    said every League player in EUW. As excited as I am for the changes for next season, The constant hurrdurr lagasms on the weekend are excruiciating
  • the new game made by blizzard looks good the one like lol and dota
  • edited November 2013
    the new game made by blizzard looks good the one like lol and dota
    All I know...is I saw Kerrigan as a playable character...win.
  • Yeah, heroes of the storm should be awesome, but It really needed to launch a year or two ago. Going to be behind the ball in the moba arena.
  • It's timed well enough. League is about to start preseason for season 4 so I can only imagine the fits League players are gonna have.

High latency, bugs, role changes, possible server crashes throughout the changes...some League players(like myself) may be tempted to forego it and just jump on Heroes.

Also, it's possible they've been scheming this for a while and holding off just to tweak it for a perfect launch. Go right into competing with the other top mobas.