Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggested changes for Oceanic

edited October 2013 in General
I think Oceanic is pretty cripple right now, out of balance with the other planet types.
+10% Defense is nice, but Terra gets +15% with bonuses maxed.
-25% building cost makes it a cheaper KD to run, but FW & Mountain income bonuses are way better.
+25% research is really a huge cripple since oceanic benefits greatly from all researches unlike DW who couldn't care less about Fighters or TFs in most cases since they are so expensive compared to goons. And Sci are so expensive that the low cost buildings can hardly make up for +25% sci expenses.

I suggest that Oceanic gets +25% rax space instead of -25% building costs. This would make oceanic still hard on the research side, but the rax space would be such an advantage that would make it worth it. Played right you could choose to either have a bigger army on less land, a very attractive possibility, or use the bonus to get yourself some extra income by saving on rax space which you could then put into producing those expensive scientists.

Comments

• You know I wanted to suggest some changes to and I never thought to post them in the public forums. What a great idea this will surely be implemented now that bcart can read it!
  • Oceanic's bonuses become effective after your land size gets to about 10k and over where bonuses aren't worth the scientists that TFs would need to have to sustain them. The 25% reduction in building cost at 10k land is something like 2,500 per building multiplied by 1k land a day (and growing) is a savings of 2.5 million which is about 20% of a TF's income at that time. The PT can build good kingdoms, but it takes a bit more skill to pull it off.
  • Changes won't be made until EoR (end of round) numbers dictate it is no longer effective.
  • Btw I looked at last EoR numbers and Oceanic was exactly... Middle. 3 better pts and 3 worse. If it stays the same I'd expect no changes.
  • end of round numbers mean absolutely nothing about how strong a pt is though.

DW is by far the strongest pt but they all die. TF is up there too.

then you have mountainous which was incredibly skewed because of me and mercer's kds.

oceanic right now is the worst pt you can choose and there is essentially no reason to ever pick it over Terra Form. when it was 50% off of building costs it was actually a solid PT if you played it right. At 25% you really lose what made it special. TF has not only 5% more defense but twice as much research per scientist. And if you ever buy a research station, Terra form gets twice the benefit from it that oceanic does too. Terra Form can get a good chunk of extra offense. Terra Form can make the highest pop kds. Terra Form can get significantly better return times than anything but mysti.

Oceanic can't do anything better than any pt.
  • oceanic pt is for noobs who dont know how to play and want to turtle, giving them only 1 dimension at how to play: turtle

if they want a turtle pt to do nothing but turtle, look no further, and even by that means, it cant do turtling great
  • I started playing this game as oceanic only when i started learning how to play a little better I started playing fw, then realized how FW is terrible and changed to Terra/Mount/DW kds now
  • The more of what you know of the mechanics, you can see which are the best kingdoms. If you have no idea what anything is, you look at things like +% defense, oh nice, that seems great, research? who cares about that when I have defense!!@!@!
  • oceanic is playing sk on hard mode.
    without it, sk would be even easier.

i got to say tho, ocean is hillarious once u hit 50k land, so good
    last time i played ocean i made 400k scientists on it LOL
    when i was getting kt'd by the entire universe that disband was priceless
  • oceanic pt is for noobs who dont know how to play and want to turtle, giving them only 1 dimension at how to play: turtle

if they want a turtle pt to do nothing but turtle, look no further, and even by that means, it cant do turtling great
    Why dont you pick it then... with your horrible turtle kds

• All I said is that nothing would change until the EoR numbers change. I know just how shit Oceanic is, but Cart only looks at those numbers when making changes.
  • I think some planet types are definitely better than others. I'd like to see the planet types that don't feel quite as strong tweaked, after all a change always brings new breath to the game. When I first tried out VI I was very disappointed that the probes spent as much power as every other planet type - after all it says -80% power required! What I am finding is needed is that you balance your advantage against your disadvantage in order to have a balanced KD - eg when playing DW you do not play it as +30% offense but rather +20% offense - the other 10% making up for the population disadvantage.

A planet type that is only effective for the truly good players such as was stated for oceanic is a bummer when at the start of the round. This is understandable as many PTs shine at different stages - but not so understandable if the PT is so much weaker compared to others. There was a time when the offensive bonus of DW and the defensive bonus of Oc were about even - that time is well gone. But I won't go much further, just suggesting that we bring new elements, variants into the game such as increased barrack space, increased probe production or decreased probe loss, cheaper soldiers (I'd love that one), an extra (5th) WL when in offensive. These are just some variants that could be experimented with, and probably well worth experimenting with.

I think it's important to consider how we as players made best use of the changes that were brought to the game. I remember that defensive was a really big thing when it came out but then it was crippled because people 'abused' it. I like the fact that people 'abused' it because it allowed us clearly different strategies. Offensive state is NOT used. the 1% extra land and x% extra honor does not match up to the -25% exploration cost. However, having an extra war leader would definitely make offensive very much more appealing despite having no MA protection. Mystis would be begging for offensive state.

• i want volc to be -95% power depletion again, gosh i would play the heck out of that pt! make it so bccart!
  • I remember no power requires! Was pimp
  • @bcartfall

he is sure to fix it now!
  • Suggested changes to oceanic:

Delete oceanic
    bring back shadow lands
  • I would not play anything else but shadow lands if it comes back im ALL about them probes yo
  • SL seems hard to balance, Beanland made it ridiculously overpowered and it looks almost useless on Holos game.

That being said i love proabes.
  • I am all for Oceanic being deleted
  • SL i think is almost impossible to balance effectively people complain about probe farms now just think about SL and probe farms smh...I do think ocean is fixable but would need to bring htat -50% building costs back XD
  • I remember when SL was launched and there were more probe farms than active kingdoms now. SL was just a bunch of fun :)
  • Every decent builder should play Ocean turtle (sea turtle?) next round. So the EoR top 10 are all Oceanic. That way Cart will nerf it so far into the ground no one will ever pick it again.

Wait... are we trying to get rid of it or bring it back?
  • I was suggesting that it is made competitive.
  • I was suggesting that it is made competitive.
    BOO! Off with his head!
  • TF is the most over powered of all the PTs
  • Every decent builder should play Ocean turtle (sea turtle?) next round. So the EoR top 10 are all Oceanic. That way Cart will nerf it so far into the ground no one will ever pick it again.

Wait... are we trying to get rid of it or bring it back?
    Nerf oceanic round for spite? Hahahahahaha

I'm in....

Oh wait you said decent builders. Nvmnd
  • oceanic turtling takes no skill. It takes no skill to max tanks every tick....Walking the line between being able to be hit and waking up every morning and putting on your rapin' boots takes the most skill. AND IS THE MOST FUN
  • I thought it was decided itt that oceanic turtle < tf / mount turtle?
  • Oceanic is a waste of space, why do you think spock deleted?