Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-to-Play Online Game Reviews [non-MMORPGs]

edited August 2012 in General
Over the next few weeks I'll be posting a few reviews of various titles.

I will be testing Tribes: Ascend and the ATB reboot. For those of you unfamiliar with ATB, it was a Grand Theft Auto-sandbox game where you got to be a cop or a robber. A simple concept that was actually a very fun game. However, after only 2 1/2 months the game was taken offline due to financial troubles of the company. tl;dr they've rebooted as completely free to play.

A video of some of the gameplay from the old version can be found here:

Tribes : Ascend is currently one of the most popular free to play online games. I'm a bit shocked I haven't heard anything about it here. It's a first-person shooter, yes, but is considered the FPS that requires the most skill, taking into account physics, jumps, and "skiing". More to come at a later date.

My question: has anyone else played these games?

Comments

• Yes. Tribes: Ascend is a pretty decent game but the servers tend to have lag issues. I played the old tribes and didnt like it but felt this was quite fun, though generally dont like arcade style gaming anymore. (ala UT etc)

Played the old ATB before they went bankrupt...wasn't great, there was a lot of cheating and framerate issues as well. Plus it was repetitive and a massive grind with side missions absolutely pointless.
  • After a few hours of ATB, I have noticed lag spikes, even though I'm located rather close to their East Coast servers. It's a major issue - driving a car at breakneck speed then all of a sudden everything freezes, sound keeps on skipping, then the next thing I know I'm in a flaming heap of car. This happened 3 times in two hours though, so not terrible.

ATB has a very small player base and is currently in Beta. I would suggest giving it a try, however. Pay-to-Play users gain experience about 90% faster, which seems like a lot but is typical in a free-to-play game. The levels don't affect your character all that much either.

I also noticed a lot more robber than cops on my server. I don't like how you cannot change "factions" [ie be a cop or robber] with each login. That being said, you can make multiple accounts.

ATB also has an issue with "hackers". Some openly do it, and each week on the forums the mods post on a sort of "wall of shame" of those banned for hacking. Be careful though, as they are quite strict on the definitions of "hacking", as per defined on some post in their forums. If you typically macro, this is NOT the game to do it in.

The visuals and music on this free game are definitely fantastic. This looks and sounds quite polished - the car radio music is pretty great to listen to.

Overall, I wouldn't suggest bothering with this game until it's out of beta. Too many issues at the moment and overall their "missions" aren't all that fun.
  • After a few hours of ATB, I have noticed lag spikes, even though I'm located rather close to their East Coast servers. It's a major issue - driving a car at breakneck speed then all of a sudden everything freezes, sound keeps on skipping, then the next thing I know I'm in a flaming heap of car. This happened 3 times in two hours though, so not terrible.

ATB has a very small player base and is currently in Beta. I would suggest giving it a try, however. Pay-to-Play users gain experience about 90% faster, which seems like a lot but is typical in a free-to-play game. The levels don't affect your character all that much either.

I also noticed a lot more robber than cops on my server. I don't like how you cannot change "factions" [ie be a cop or robber] with each login. That being said, you can make multiple accounts.

ATB also has an issue with "hackers". Some openly do it, and each week on the forums the mods post on a sort of "wall of shame" of those banned for hacking. Be careful though, as they are quite strict on the definitions of "hacking", as per defined on some post in their forums. If you typically macro, this is NOT the game to do it in.

The visuals and music on this free game are definitely fantastic. This looks and sounds quite polished - the car radio music is pretty great to listen to.

Overall, I wouldn't suggest bothering with this game until it's out of beta. Too many issues at the moment and overall their "missions" aren't all that fun.
    Nope. Free to play games does not mean those who pay get 90% bonuses...thats called pay-to-win games. Free to play usually includes additional cash for aesthetic items that doesn't add any value to game experience.

I never touch pay-to-win games.

ATB has always had cheaters....notice my previous post with the old ATB.
  • It's only an experience boost pack. They are not items that are exclusive to cash shops. It's an advantage, yes, but I know what "pay to win" is. This game does not have that feel.

Anyway, going to play some Tribes. First two games I managed...one kill?

• It's only an experience boost pack. They are not items that are exclusive to cash shops. It's an advantage, yes, but I know what "pay to win" is. This game does not have that feel.

Anyway, going to play some Tribes. First two games I managed...one kill?

Tribes is better. Especially as it does not have the XP gain for weapons that most FPS have nowadays....its good it keep to its roots.
  • Thus far, capture the flag on tribes is a million times more fun than death match. Bases, turrets, vehicles, power stations, et cetera all exist in CTF mode and not death match.
  • CTF is always fun, more tactical and not dependent on shooting. Rush with friend in vehicle, get flag, run out.