Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SKPF Game Ideas

XelXel
edited January 2015 in General
As some know, I previously made a thread about the SK community coming together to make a game. While there was some interest in the idea, there wasn't enough commitment to warrant any kind of project starting. This thread, however, is even more non-committal. I just want to know: if a group of people from SK formed a game development team, what kind of game would you guys want?

This is completely hypothetical. Just have fun with some ideas.

I'm big into sandbox games. The game I've always wanted is similar to Dwarf Fortress, but with real graphics. The player commands a small civilization of inch-high humanoids that start with nearly nothing. The original setting for my idea was in an actual sandbox. The civilization would struggle with fighting off insects, lizards, birds, spiders, etc. and have to deal with natural disasters like rain, wind, and human children. They would craft clothing, weapons, and food from deceased enemies (insect carapace, mandibles, fangs, etc), plant material, and scavenged materials from things human children leave behind (toys, candy, shoes, etc.) The art style would be cartoony, but bloody (not gorey).

I also like rpg games with a deep, rich storyline. The gameplay doesn't matter as much in those, as long as the story is great.

Comments

• I've always enjoyed sandbox games the most. Survival, some RTS, they're the most amusing for me.

Waaaaaaaay back in the day, WC3 had a custom game where you were a dude in the arctic and had to scavenge for heat/food etc. Was actually really fun cause you'd just be cruising around trying to fortify your shelter and some asshole would come by with fur and weapons... He opted to steal your shelter instead of making his own. Oh the lolz that were had...
  • edited January 2015
    i loved Night of the Dead...played shittons of times, marine survival in a zombie apocaliptic scenario, with lots of bosses.

stick together or die...

and there's no shelter, we must keep moving or run out of ammo real fast.

i must still have some saves lost somewhere in dropbox

• I'm big into sandbox games.
    Play Minecraft?

• I'm big into sandbox games.
    Play Minecraft?
    Still never have. I might some day, but I've played so many games like it and seen it all over the place, I just don't think it would be much fun. Kind of like seeing spoilers of a movie all over the place, you just kind of don't even feel like watching it anymore.
  • You know they have modded versions, right? It's not hard to find some variety in the game, even if you feel like vanilla is a bit stale.
  • You know they have modded versions, right? It's not hard to find some variety in the game, even if you feel like vanilla is a bit stale.
    Always pushing your pixel nonsense on someone :p

An RPG style game would be pretty cool to make, would be a first for me
  • I've messed around in RPG Maker on and off, and it's a really easy program to make simple, jrpg-style games. It just takes a lot of extra work to make games put together in RPG Maker stand out from all the others made in it. With the amount of scripts you have to make to separate it from others, you might as well just make your own engine, lol.
  • RPG - i'm old. LOL

• Always pushing your pixel nonsense on someone :p
    Minecraft is life. *eyes glaze over*
  • a dungeon crawler

there are not any good ones anymore
  • a dungeon crawler

You mean D&D style or hack-and-slash like diablo?
  • a dungeon crawler

You mean D&D style or hack-and-slash like diablo?
    Counterstrike..

• One of the games I was working on in RPG Maker was kind of a dungeon crawler. I got a little too ambitious with it, though. My plan was to have all NPCs in the game recruitable for the player's guild with various requirements. There was also going to be permadeath for all characters. So, for example, you could recruit the town's merchant for your guild, but if you took him with you into a dungeon or sent him out on an individual assignment, and he died, your game would lose a merchant. Other NPCs that had a relationship with the NPC (family, friends, lover, etc) would react to his/her death in various ways.

The overly-ambitious part of it came from giving the player too many options. It was too much work to make so many unique personalities, backstories, and dialogue. Not to mention, if I wanted it to be different from other RPG Maker games, I would have had to create unique portraits and sprites for each NPC.

It wasn't a complete waste though, I did learn how to do several things I didn't know how to before.
  • Thats a good one Xel. We can collaborate on that one. How do you want to proceed from there?
  • ive been playing hearthstone, gets me more mad than any other game
  • How about a first-person sandbox game exploring a world similar to ours, but with distinct differences. Gravity is much lower. The sun is slightly smaller. Plants and animals are adapted to a colder environment, and grow much larger than the ones on earth. Humans exist and possess familiar technology, maybe slightly more advanced than what we have today, but civilizations are much smaller in size and total population exists only in the thousands. Day-to-day life for humans is a constant struggle to produce crops and fight off behemoth wildlife. Hunting tends to produce more food than agriculture, but is also much more deadly.

The leaders of the small settlements are hiding something from the people. The player decides to find out what. Stumbling upon abandoned ruins while exploring/hunting one day, the player finds a dome-shaped structure containing a telescope. Looking through the telescope, the player discovers a world being devoured in flames. A world that appears to have been once very similar to his/her own.
  • How about a first-person sandbox game exploring a world similar to ours, but with distinct differences. Gravity is much lower. The sun is slightly smaller. Plants and animals are adapted to a colder environment, and grow much larger than the ones on earth. Humans exist and possess familiar technology, maybe slightly more advanced than what we have today, but civilizations are much smaller in size and total population exists only in the thousands. Day-to-day life for humans is a constant struggle to produce crops and fight off behemoth wildlife. Hunting tends to produce more food than agriculture, but is also much more deadly.

The leaders of the small settlements are hiding something from the people. The player decides to find out what. Stumbling upon abandoned ruins while exploring/hunting one day, the player finds a dome-shaped structure containing a telescope. Looking through the telescope, the player discovers a world being devoured in flames. A world that appears to have been once very similar to his/her own.
    can i be the guy who tries to destroy humanity to make sure whats left of nature survives?