Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips and Tricks for a New Player

edited December 2014 in General
I am still very new at SK and would like advice on things I should be doing or things that I should know. Any help is appreciated and I will do my best to figure this all out and be a useful member of a team.

Comments

• Disband all defense and message me right before you do it.
  • O.O ? what does that even mean ?
  • Figured I would share this with everyone, since most people could use the advice.

Terra Form is the most handicapped PT you can choose. It pretty much offers the best all around bonuses that apply to economics, offense and defense with very little disadvantage. It's the rookies planet type.

Strategy in SK is 90% the same regardless of PT you choose. For example, the general rules apply to ALL planet types.
    1. Your kingdom needs power, so you build power plants. Regardless of PT, you'll have between 7-10% PPs
    2. Your kingdom requires barracks, so you'll build barracks. Depending on your size compared to others, you'll have between 20-35% barracks.
    3. Your kingdom needs population for soldiers. Given that everyone loves growth state as it is proven to be the most profitable, you'll need aprox 30% residence to train sufficient soldiers.
    4. For the most part, it is always profitable to run training camps. 10%. Nuff said.

That pretty much covers about 75 - 85% of your land, the other 15 - 25% is where people tend to choose Star Mines or Probe Factories. That is about your only real choice of how to structure your build.

Advanced Strategy:
    Most people go for SMs, because they're no good at using probes economicly. They tend to waste them by not using PAs, or use them for SoMs and such. Anyone can build this type of a kingdom, like I said the building ratios are pretty much the same for ANY planet type. The key difference is how active you are in utilizing your kingdom's other assets (Probes and WLs).

War Leaders:
    - A war leader at home is a kingdom that is not growing efficiently. Attacking is more economical than exploration, specially at a larger land size. My s2 account started 10 days late and i'm at 148 attacks already. Ideally you want to gain at lest 10% of your land per day attacking, and the less units you have to send out to attain that is obviously better. Nothing is a bigger waste than ppl that hit inacs for 10land per WL when there are KDs out there that can be grabbed for more land. Early on in the game, this is 99% of what defines your rank past day 5-7 of the round.

Probing:
    - If you're going to run probes, you need at least 15% of your land in PFs to get the necessary amount of probes to profit successfully. Probe count divided by 8 is the magic land size that you want to stay under when robbing, anything bigger you're going to fail and it'll hurt the probe count and the funds. Once probe levels have propagated, they're almost twice as profitable as the land used in SMs or Residence. This is what sets the pros apart from the others, early on they're stacked with probes and pulling in double the cash of even the best Terra Form builders that are without probes.

Lastly, building your military:
    ------------------------
    - You should always max soldier production before all else. No soldiers, you're fucked!
    - Never run yourself to 0 soldiers, build more expensive tanks if you have to. No soldiers, you're fucked!
    - In the early game, 100% tanks until 3k land. If you're playing properly you won't have enough soldiers for anything else.
    - Your military ratio should be aprox 1 tank : 2 Laser Dragoons : 1 Dragoon
    If you have extra surplus of soldiers then obviously you'll raise that ratio to like 1:3:1, but never running yourself out of soldiers.

Hope this helps.
    - Bean
  • The rest of the comments were helpful too. This was the original thread:
    https://www.starkingdoms.com/community/discussion/3580/terra-form#Item_100
  • Check your inbox Kloudi
  • Thank you all this will take a bit for me to comb over but any help is really appreciated really
  • Practice really does help. Ask any questions you have to, it's the only way to learn. Unfortunately there are people who will misinform you. So be cautious . And many will flame or troll the threads, some get clever, ignore it all. you'll do alright
  • Thanks Aza has been trying to help me but he is more of the student then the teacher type. I will take note and try in practice.
  • If you play DW just don't do what aza does and you will be fine.
  • edited December 2014
    When you are developing a KD Build of your own, it is better to devise your actions based on your activity level. If you are less active, you should do certain things differently as also be more defensive for a good portion of the round w/ max explore. While being more active, having a PT with faster return times like Mysti (Which imo is considered a newb PT) would be beneficial if you knew how to use it effectively.

Always build in increments that the sector state sets, IE 16 hours or 24 hour build times.
  • PM me if you want to join my sector, I'll help you out as we go
  • edited December 2014
    I finally got a chance to read through everything and I think i have an idea now well better than i did have though the % and abbreviations caught me a bit I think i understand. Math is such a weak point for me I am not sure i can get better but i want to try.

Thank you all again!
  • edited December 2014
    The more TCs you have the better. Try:

60/40 ratio with other buildings
  • Kloudi, practice on Sci's Newbie Sim as well to test out any strategy you have for newbie mode.

http://www.newbiesim.jwjacobs88.com/
  • What a helpful bunch u all are.
  • someone need a teacher?

I DO PICK ME
  • XD thanks and yes i am in need of a mentor

I DO PICK ME
  • XD thanks and yes i am in need of a mentor
    Hit me up on aim
  • once i get that i will figure out how to get in touch with people
  • I don't get why this game happens on aim still. Skype baby!
  • I don't want ur creepy ass staring at me aza.
  • you can chat on Skpe @mthrfnlumberjack.

Actually, @Azalieo, I have not added anyone to my skype, I don't want to hit the video chat when I am drunk.LOL

AIM is still a safe bet...drunk or not.
  • I have a tip for the new players:

GO PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME
  • I have a tip for the new players:

GO PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME
    XD Thanks I have been wondering if it is worth the time spent into learning this game.
  • It is worth it. Puppy is mean. Otherwise this is a pretty awesome group of nerds. for the most part as I already spoke about :)
  • I appreciate it =D
  • Dont listen to Marian! If this game is so cool why did he go inactive and quit last round? BUSTED! BAD Marian trying to drag poor innocent newbies into this god forsaken hellpit :(
  • i stopped on server one because i had lost. does not happen every round :)

also was tired of being yelled at, at work over sk so i stuck to lazy server 2