Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Blog

Comments

• making six figures aint all its cracked up to be, cuts into a nigga's wow time.

also dont listen to newbiemode, he tends to not know how the real world turns.

also kev is fat irl
  • haiiiiiiiii kev
    and cheli that's pretty dece pay for someone in school but if you majored in something business/technology thats normal out of school. What kind of company lets you work 4months a year? wtf.
    I'm an engineering major, this is a software quality/QA type job, I really only ever work in the software industry as does almost everyone I know, it's just what most of my friends/peers are into and there's huge demand.

a LOT of companies hire co-op students. it's like summer jobs, but throughout the other parts of the year too. maybe you're more familiar with the term 'intern' instead of co-op? companies literally just have positions that they re-fill every 4 months with students - it's cheaper because you don't have to pay them as well as real full-timers, you don't have to pay benefits, you can make them do the work nobody wants to do, if they're awesome you can try to get them to come back for another term and/or hire after graduation. plenty of startups hire co-ops (like less a dozen people) and you're a huge part of the company and get to work on everything. on the other end of the spectrum, i've had friends who've worked for IBM, microsoft, google, facebook, etc. for 4 months. a couple of my buds got google jobs for next term (one local, one in cali), the local one told me they pay 35bux/hr, he's gonna have tons of money lying around because rent is only like 400-600/month out here for regular student housing, mostly on the lower end as I don't think I know anyone who pays above 500. a lot of my friends like to work in the valley, i usually live at home in Toronto and work there, this is the first time I'm sticking around here.
    I would just drop out of college and work there fulltime if you get to keep your job.
    I worked on a few different teams/projects in a couple of different roles at my last workplace, all my managers would just be really sad about me leaving to go back to school and would say that I should just stay with them instead, and they've said many times they want to hire me after graduation. I've heard stories of people who have dropped out and just kept working with start-ups that they thought would make it big, I'm not sure how many of them got anywhere. I hate school, I loved working at my last workplace way more than I ever like school, but i'm not in a big rush to drop out. if I fail out, well, maybe I'll start working the phones, hopefully i don't though :P
  • This thread make me lol
  • im a load master too, but thats only what the girls call me
  • Just got my ship out date/job for the Air Force :D!, I leave Feb 24th as a Aircraft Loadmaster.

(my job)

(excited to see this view myself)
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6031/6332049308_d54a644829_b.jpg
    Cool shit dude. Just make sure you tie everything down, wouldn't want a cargo load of ammunition to drop over Iran. They'd think god was sending them weapons to take down the west.
  • Hah, whaaaat.

How's tricks, folks?
  • Oh man, bleak is here! We're saved!
  • It's awesome because I just assumed that, minus all of your existences on the forums, you must have been reabsorbed into the ether.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm glad you're not dead. <3
  • I'm glad I'm not dead also!
  • I died a little inside when you didn't show up for months.
  • Ah, it's truly the beginning of Thanksgiving Break. I feel asleep during Oklahoma St. vs. Iowa State.
  • edited December 2011
    Wanted to revive this, but no good stories of my own, so here's one from a friend of mine who's a grad student teaching undergrad uni classes:

LM:
    Just discovered that one of my students plagiarized on the latest writing assignment... And what gave it away? Said student cut and paste from wikipedia, but neglected to REMOVE THE EMBEDDED HYPERLINKS... (facepalm)

• ...and realized my time in school was a total waste of time.
    would you have gotten the job without the college education?

not many 'big' companies would even bother reading the rest of your resume/CV if you didn't have sufficient educational qualifications
    I don't know that I'll ever make 6 figures, or that I'll ever really need to. whatevs
    best things in life are free :-D
    Making big money is not rocket science. I've never met a poor doctor, lawyer, and so on. Find a career that makes good money that is in demand. Do what it takes to get there. To many people just want the easy road then complain when it doesn't work out. Even most cops I know here in vegas make 6 figures (with overtime worked). I'm getting close (high school admin).
  • Ah, it's truly the beginning of Thanksgiving Break. I feel asleep during Oklahoma St. vs. Iowa State.
    IOWA! WHOOOOHOOOOO

Too bad my rival university is so much better than my university :(

Oh well, we still get a decent bowl game because our fans will go anywhere. Good business is good business, and uni sports is all business.
  • Meh, Mississippi State was disappointing this season, at least they gave us Wake Forest to destroy in this bowl game.
  • Going to Vegas in early January to represent my Step-father's business, since he can't go. Gonna be boring, since I'll be by myself for the duration.
  • you're never alone in vegas bro. hell, I'll meet you there. we'll get shtfaced, married, and do coke off a dirty hotel room dresser or something.
  • Aww, Chels always knows what to say to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.