Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visualising Starkingdoms

edited January 2015 in General
I believe there is a simple yet entertaining way to visualise Starkingdoms and I'm not sure if it's been discussed before but I'd like to hear your views and ideas. Of course to be truly effective the visualisation would need to use live data but for now we can talk about the mechanics and perhaps even set up a test using dummy/static data.

Part 1.

Colour Scheme/ Style - Use existing colour scheme and styles

Sector. Your kingdom is located on a 10x10 grid of Kingdoms representing your Sector and your kingdom is located at a certain coordinate in this grid.
We have two choices here:
1) The sector is drawn as a fixed width 10x10 grid (easier to visualise, not realistic)
2) The sector is drawn as a 10x10 'grid' with polygonal separation between coordinates. (harder to visualise, more realistic)
Note: The grid-lines would be visible (albeit with 50-70% transparency)

Galaxy. Your sector is one of numerous in a galaxy (20 for now). Here again we have several choices:
1) The galaxy is represented by a stack of sectors with either of the above grid systems
2) The galaxy is represented by a flat linear arrangement using either of the above grid systems
3) The galaxy is represented by a non-linear and 3 dimensional arrangement using either of the above grid systems

Universe. Your galaxy is one of many in the Universe. Here we can have the same choices to visualise the Universe as we have for the Galaxy above.

Alliances. The simplest way to visualise alliances is to colour the grid-lines different colours per alliance. The colour assignment can either be fixed or be changing.
Fixed colour assignments would be on a first made first served basis and the order of colours is fixed to ensure the least clashing colours are assigned first.
A changing colour assignment would follow the ranking of the alliance ie Blue is First, Green is Second, Red is Third etc

Part 2 to follow.

Comments

• at least they are open to other ideas
  • edited January 2015
    I stopped reading after "I".

Sorry bro. The first sentence is what makes the story =/
  • Oh and LOL.

Trollness delivers.
  • Thanks for the help. I guess This is probably me jerking off...i like data visualization and story telling. Thought I'd make use of the data available from sk while attempting to understand the story of Sk. I will continue in private. Assholes.
  • edited January 2015
    why would you visualise a dead game nobody plays? :P
  • Honestly I think the idea of galaxies make no sense. How is it possible for me to attack in 7 hours in galaxy 2 when it takes 8 in galaxy 1.

I've always thought they should be called quadrants.
  • Keep going
  • Thanks for the help. I guess This is probably me jerking off...i like data visualization and story telling. Thought I'd make use of the data available from sk while attempting to understand the story of Sk. I will continue in private. Assholes.
    Keep going. Just find a thread less trolled to do your archieve.

~ I have used Fenris thread for all my archieves and data. ~
  • Honestly I think the idea of galaxies make no sense. How is it possible for me to attack in 7 hours in galaxy 2 when it takes 8 in galaxy 1.

it would work if the galaxies are colliding. I guess you could say the galaxies would then be ablaze...quadrants would have worked i guess..but then you're limiting the total number to 4.

also, it's funny how when you attack, your army travels there, attacks, brings home all the gains all instantaneously. but they take 13 hours to come home. maybe they're celebrating their win or trying to drown their sorrows.

Quadrant makes sense because you are using X, Y coordinates use for return times.
  • Sector. Your kingdom is located on a 10x10 grid of Kingdoms representing your Sector and your kingdom is located at a certain coordinate in this grid.

ur problem is this

coords 10 and 10
    are beside coords
    1 and 1

ur grid fails this
    bcuz sk is a circular system.

• Sector. Your kingdom is located on a 10x10 grid of Kingdoms representing your Sector and your kingdom is located at a certain coordinate in this grid.

ur problem is this

coords 10 and 10
    are beside coords
    1 and 1

ur grid fails this
    Use geographic coordinate systems, UTM
  • edited January 2015
    Sector. Your kingdom is located on a 10x10 grid of Kingdoms representing your Sector and your kingdom is located at a certain coordinate in this grid.

ur problem is this

coords 10 and 10
    are beside coords
    1 and 1

ur grid fails this

There is nothing in the 'literature' to suggest that an SK galaxy is circular. Any arrangement would be up to the designer. I was thinking of a torus type system with twenty sectors arranged around a central area.
  • I imagined it to be more elliptical.
  • I imagined it to be more elliptical.
    Oblate Spheroid
  • I was thinking more elliptical.

ur problem is this

coords 10 and 10
    are beside coords
    1 and 1

ur grid fails this

There is nothing in the 'literature' to suggest that an SK galaxy is circular. Any arrangement would be up to the designer. I was thinking of a torus type system with twenty sectors arranged around a central area.

well the coordinate system , probably is closer to a hyperbolic paraboloid, with the corners of both opposing sides meeting, if u look at the square cartesian coordinates.

problem with the idea of time and distance not being affected by sector, wud mean sectors would just be a grouping of kingdoms while all being overlayed on the same general area.

which messes up when u have galaxies because now ur in another dimension altogether in order to make return times logical.

bcart has created a 4 dimensional universe.
    mind=blown.
    ggnore.

bcart is uber.
  • bcart is uber.
    liar
  • edited January 2015
    This one gives me chuckle.

I imagine those who have attended SK player meet up the past think of what the player look like?
    Do it psychonaut, you da man!
  • edited January 2015
    haha this is great.