Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Christmas Plans ~Have a Merry Christmas~

edited December 2014 in General
Well, do you even celebrate Christmas?
Whats your plans?

Do you have special tradition?
Hint-my brother lost his eyebrows(many eons ago) over a bamboo canon firing - a midnight to Christmas tradition.

~I have many friends who decided that we should call it Holiday Gathering under my Christmas Tree. ~sigh~

I still send Christmas cards via postal mail, just because I don't want to have facetime with grandma.

Does anyone still do the family gathering, and family visits?
I have limited day off and I don't think I can visit most of my family who are scattered over US of A, never mind Hawaii.
Dinner with family in town is more realistic, and cooking for the holiday is not. So, I will call for some help on the cooking and baking department.

Ah...scrap that. Round 67 for SK is coming up. LOL

On that note, Merry Christmas Starkingdom Community on Public Forums!

Merry Christmas Fenrisians!!! Thanks for coming back...see you next re-union.
~Ashy

Comments

• I haven't celebrated Christmas for over a decade. My family has a rule: no one buys presents for anyone else in the family, that way we all get the present of not having to spend our money on each other. It stems from siblings getting in fights over who spent the most on presents for each other... yeah, my family is a bit odd. I don't do decorations because I don't see the point. It's just extra work putting them up and taking them down, then storing them for a year just to do more work the next Christmas. I don't eat big Christmas meals because a lot of food is on sale the day after Christmas, so I buy and eat then. Half of my family lives up north, and they know I'll never freeze my ass off visiting them. The other half are southern rednecks who just get drunk and fight all day. So yeah, I'm content with it just being another day of the year.
  • My family was pretty big on Christmas when I was a kid, and we always had the full traditional festivities. You can picture a scene like the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving, and that's probably pretty close to how we looked. I always looked forward to Christmas. There were always multiple days of cookie making, parties with family and friends, etc. My best friend from high school and I would always meet up, since we were both back in town, and spend so much time together that her mother would complain that she spent more time with me and my family than she did with her own. We did a lot of gift giving, but we had a system for it. Every person involved in gifting would put their name in a hat, and on Thanksgiving, we'd all draw names, and buy a gift for that person. Who got which name was supposed to stay a secret, and my grandmother acted as the official secret keeper. Everyone was supposed to make a Christmas wish list, and send it to grandma, and then if you wanted to know what your person had on their list, you could call her up and ask. There was a $40 limit on gift giving, just so no one would have huge expectations, or worry about breaking the bank.

Although, since I've been living in Taiwan the past couple years, I've missed out on all that. Christmas is kind of a thing here, but not really a THING like it is for most people in the US. We do a Christmas party at the English school as a cultural event, and my boss takes everyone out for hot pot at a nice family style restaurant on Christmas Eve, but that's about the extent of my planned festivities. When I'm here, I just end up not thinking about it very much. Although, last year, I did enter into a gift exchange with some of the other girls at work, and that was kind of a cute little thing. There was a really low budget, so I ended up giving someone fancy soap as my gift, and receiving a pair of uber fluffy Christmas socks.
  • Bah fucking humbug its Dec 2.
  • One thing I learned when i was kid was never give perfume, cologne, or anything like that to someone as a gift, because it says to them you think they REALLY need it. The soap in your case would fall under that category lol.
  • My mother had her tree up before Thanksgiving. Yes, she's one of those people.
  • My mother had her tree up before Thanksgiving. Yes, she's one of those people.
    @ Darubian: Thats what my family do as well. October -- starts with "ber". They went gaga on Christmas shopping and decorations. Perfect excuse for the shopaholic in the family.
  • Wat is this xmas u speak of?
  • One thing I learned when i was kid was never give perfume, cologne, or anything like that to someone as a gift, because it says to them you think they REALLY need it. The soap in your case would fall under that category lol.
    Hmm, I'm not sure I think that's true. Spa type gifts are usually well received among female acquaintances. Although I'd say it's usually considered an easy gift for someone you don't know terribly well. Maybe if you're specifically giving deodorant or something, yeah :P that wouldn't go well. But fancy soaps, lotions, bubble baths, that kind of thing is fine. It's the type of luxury item a lot of people (girls?) think is nice, but don't generally want to waste money on for themselves.
    I think my mother would have liked to do this, but we didn't let her. So she made the first weekend in December the official 'decorating the tree' days.
  • I get together with the family for Xmas. It used to be a lot bigger deal, but still a big get together and a lot of good times had. I guess with the little one coming soon it will start to be a bigger deal again. At my place we actually are going to put up the tree this weekend :s
  • Christmas? Meh. Just happy when it passes and all that xmas bullshit comes off the radio.
  • people still listen to the radio?
  • I do on the way to work, and internet radio sometimes at home.
  • the elevator in the building i went today wished me merry christmas...
  • radio has some comedy shows that is very nice to listen on our daily 2h bus trips
  • radio is good for weather report while having my morning coffee.
  • No, I don't listen to the radio, I was sympithizing with those who do.
    yes, also good for traffic news while driving, instant report on accidents
  • I get together with the family for Xmas. It used to be a lot bigger deal, but still a big get together and a lot of good times had. I guess with the little one coming soon it will start to be a bigger deal again. At my place we actually are going to put up the tree this weekend :s
    Don't tell me u knocked her up

Christmas is always a huge deal for us, no gifts though we just all bring a board game and a bottle of alcohol. Always a hilarious night, now that my siblings have kids we do a gingerbread house building comp. and we have our traditional Mario kart showdown on the evening of the 24th.
  • I haven't celebrated Christmas for over a decade. My family has a rule: no one buys presents for anyone else in the family, that way we all get the present of not having to spend our money on each other. It stems from siblings getting in fights over who spent the most on presents for each other... yeah, my family is a bit odd. I don't do decorations because I don't see the point. It's just extra work putting them up and taking them down, then storing them for a year just to do more work the next Christmas. I don't eat big Christmas meals because a lot of food is on sale the day after Christmas, so I buy and eat then. Half of my family lives up north, and they know I'll never freeze my ass off visiting them. The other half are southern rednecks who just get drunk and fight all day. So yeah, I'm content with it just being another day of the year.

@ Xel..... Your family is not odd...at least the other side of my family fights a lot. We decided to pool money for the little ones (again) and give them gifts cards...just to avoid fights. Many years ago, it ends up in fiasco about gifts, who get more or less.

At this time of the year, I over hear bitching from my aunts both side, it takes the evil side of them out. LOL, I dont know why. Both they calm down and starts getting along once they have their ritual of drinking after Dec. 24 dinner.

I'm excited of all the booze I will receive for Christmas. My cousins know I like the alcohol collection, so they usually buy me small bottles: rhum, vodka, port, whiskey, collector wines. That will stock me for the rest of the year, because I rarely drink.

While other women like perfume collections, mine are small bottles of alcohol. And these are cuter than perfume bottles.
  • I got $75 worth of gift cards for walmart from the company I work for. What I wanted to buy: new video card. What I ended up buying: more clothes for work.
    yes, also good for traffic news while driving, instant report on accidents
    So true, I take this for granted...you are driving, and its say accident somewhere and you take a turn and everyone follows.
    Don't tell me u knocked her up

Christmas is always a huge deal for us, no gifts though we just all bring a board game and a bottle of alcohol. Always a hilarious night, now that my siblings have kids we do a gingerbread house building comp. and we have our traditional Mario kart showdown on the evening of the 24th.
    I didn't tell you? Baby girl on the way, very very soon :)

• That's exciting, congrats buddy.
  • Thanks, we are very excited.
  • Kudos crash
  • Yay, Crash.congrats.....

a girl?

Hmmm...when I was born, my dad renewed his membership at the shooting range.
    What your special plan?
  • Yay, Crash.congrats.....

a girl?

What your special plan?
    That sounds like a... healthy reaction to having a kid. "Gotta have my shooting skills polished before she starts bringing home boys."
  • i imagine her as a kid having her first innocent kiss(with another kid) in the playground, then the shadow of her dad closes in, gun in hand.

boy-kid runs without even looking up to see the creature aproaching.
  • edited December 2014
    Yay, Crash.congrats.....

a girl?

What your special plan?
    I don't really have any special plans. I will have to definitely think of something cool to commemorate the occasion :)

I actually have hunted the last 3 years after a long hiatus so I am not so worried about intimidating people with the site of my man room.