Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AIM

2»

Comments

• Depends if you want cookies, or free version of Maxim.
  • I already own all of the cookies...and I don't want Maxim.
  • ugh, no more AIM, and pidgin killed my computer. All those crap applications and crashed the darn old netbook. No more pidgin or bird...whatever that is
  • I'm 99.9% sure pidgin didn't crash your computer...
  • It could kill the computer if its old enough that the only games it can play are like sk

then pidgin is just to fancy
  • Yes. It was one of those really old computer, let say I got it around 2004.
  • Then the computer died of old age.
  • Right! A netbook from 2004...

I'm pretty sure those didn't even come out until around 2007.
  • computers of 2004 era would be even worse than a netbook of the 2007 era or equally bad.
  • My mistake.

An old Compaq laptop, i have this habit of calling everything netbook when it is smaller.
    Im not sure if it was Pidgin, maybe not.

I re-formatted that laptop and installed Linux on it.
    Maybe it was GAIM messenger?
    Ring a bell?
  • wtf is going on here
  • wtf is going on here
  • edited October 2014
    My mistake.

An old Compaq laptop, i have this habit of calling everything netbook when it is smaller.
    Im not sure if it was Pidgin, maybe not.

I re-formatted that laptop and installed Linux on it.
    Maybe it was GAIM messenger?
    Ring a bell?
    GAIM was renamed to Pidgin, and yes it came with most Linux repos.

Still doesn't explain how you think it "killed" your computer. Though if it was an old Compaq. There's a very high likelihood it deserved to die anyways.
  • Scie, it was probably my half hazard skill in installing Linux lib and plug ins. I am not really that good, so I think I have something to do with it.

Every time I boot it up, it will re-boot, before it goes to log in screen.
    and then when it finally boot up, the GAIM would open...all those messengers associated will blink , everyone starts loading up, then screen went blank. And nothing..

Maybe I killed it, not GAIM.

*note: my 2004 desktop is still going strong, it runs on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, and still fine, trusty little machine for anything really*

• Been using computers for almost 30 years and can't believe that I haven't bothered installing Linux to try it out.
  • install it on virtual machine ;)
  • edited October 2014
    Well, I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops so I can just install it on one of them instead of a virtual machine (And I just find that way more convenient as well). I just found the original CD I had burned years ago to install Ubuntu Linux but never got round to it. Guess I'll have to download the latest version before doing so.
  • Been using computers for almost 30 years and can't believe that I haven't bothered installing Linux to try it out.
    Baby genius or 50 year old man?
  • I had a Commodore 64 bought for me when I was around 3-4 years old in the early eighties. Didn't do much with it except play games loaded from tape until I discovered programming books in the local library for C64/Vic 20 users a few years later. Haven't looked back since, haha.
  • Still makes you older than the 20 year old I thought you were
  • Sky actually makes me feel younger. My first pc were those PC AT with CRT that looks like green, and we loaded them using DOS on a 5 1/4 diskette.
  • my aim's fauss but i never use aim :o
  • edited October 2014
    Well, I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops so I can just install it on one of them instead of a virtual machine (And I just find that way more convenient as well). I just found the original CD I had burned years ago to install Ubuntu Linux but never got round to it. Guess I'll have to download the latest version before doing so.
    Ubuntu is nice if you want a Windows Replacement. If you're looking for something different use a different repo though. Ubuntu is a windows alternative through and through.

Disclaimer: I haven't acutally used Linux in any flavor for a year or two.
    Scie, it was probably my half hazard skill in installing Linux lib and plug ins. I am not really that good, so I think I have something to do with it.

Every time I boot it up, it will re-boot, before it goes to log in screen.
    and then when it finally boot up, the GAIM would open...all those messengers associated will blink , everyone starts loading up, then screen went blank. And nothing..

Maybe I killed it, not GAIM.

*note: my 2004 desktop is still going strong, it runs on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, and still fine, trusty little machine for anything really*
    If you want to troubleshoot, there are a lot of resources online for troubleshooting a linux repo installation. They'll teach you were to look for the boot up and application logs so you can find out what's crashing. If you need help, just send me a pm with your repo and version number and I'll tell you where to look to get the proper information.

GAIM will usually load "off the bat" on a few repos, however, every other service and process is kicking off at the same time. I highly doubt GAIM was the root cause, but I'd need to look the logs to confirm my suspicions.
  • Yeah, there's many different versions. Will have to look through them and see what fits my requirements.
  • Sci, I've given up that laptop long time ago. No patience there. The way you explained it, it looks to me that I could have solution to begin with. I blamed the laptop, but i think long and hard, it must be my crappy installation.

Because the desktop runs smoothly, UBUNTU LTS 8.04 i think, I am just happy to have this little trusty desktop.
    Yes it does load GAIM right away or Pidgin perhaps. My son uses that destop now.

Thanks for your help. ~ashy
  • Do you actually call AIM?
    We're sorry...

We are not able to reset your password right now.

If you need help now, you can call customer service at 1-855-622-4946 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. (ET), and Saturday & Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (ET).

To help you through the recovery process more quickly, we have generated a unique verification code for you. Please copy it down in case you are asked to provide it to your representative: 125129