Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Parts

edited September 2014 in General
Need a HDD and disk drive.

Going to pick it up locally. I want 1TB for my HDD.

Any suggestions?

www.staples.ca
www.futureshop.ca

Comments

• i got a disk drive for you
  • www.whatbox.ca
  • I like newegg.
  • I like newegg.
  • I like newegg.
  • Newegg isn't local.

Thanks though.
  • why the demand for local?

any of them work future shop, bestbuy, staples, the source all will offer you overprice drives. Which store has the best stock into will 100% depend on your the location of our store, I find that they all suck for selection and are just generally bad.
  • edited September 2014
    If you are going local the answer is always Fry's, and always bring more money than you tell your woman you're going to spend. By default anytime you go there you're going to buy a new graphics card so just take out an extra $300 dollars.
  • Newegg isn't local.

Thanks though.
    welcome to the internet, where they now deliver.
  • Newegg isn't local.

Thanks though.
    welcome to the internet, where they now deliver.
    Ya if I were to shop local its a 125km drive to the closest future shop newegg to the door in a couple days its a beautiful thing.
  • edited September 2014
    If you are going local the answer is always Fry's, and always bring more money than you tell your woman you're going to spend. By default anytime you go there you're going to buy a new graphics card so just take out an extra $300 dollars.

Hi Dank.

I hope I don't buy a new graphics card, I just got my new one yesterday in the mail!

MSI Radeon R9 270X

Here's what I have for a PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Sounds like a good PC except I wouldn't have gone for the Micro ATX motherboard, Intel processor, just 8GB/DDR3 RAM or an MSI graphics card. Don't get me wrong, they're all good.. Just that I'd have gone for a full ATX motherboard, AMD processor, 16GB RAM at least and a Sapphire-version R9 graphics card. Depends on what you use it for, I guess.
  • why the AMD processor? I find mine use to really hot, and there power demand is huge.
  • I've always preferred AMD processors and I have no idea why. I use water cooling so the heat problem isn't much of an issue. Had Intel's in my old PC's 15 years ago but switched to AMD and have stayed with them since. I guess it's similar to ATI vs. Nvidia and your own personal preferences (Prefer ATI). :)
  • I can't comment really on any of this, I'm not very literate when it comes to hardware.

The build I have was suggested by a handful of people on a forum I frequent so I went with it.

What's the difference between the mATX and normal?
  • upgrade ability is the only difference I know of but could be wrong.

I guess neither brands have won me over as I still switch back and forth when I'm getting new things for a pc. Basically what ever part has the most bang for the buck at the time I'm buying it.
  • What's the difference between the mATX and normal?
    - Smaller than the normal board
    - Usually has fewer expansion slots
    - Usually has fewer RAM and PCI-E slots
    - Overclocking options (If there are any) are limited
    - mATX is usually used in smaller PC's while normal is for more high-end usage
    - Using normal applications, there is little performance difference though between both of them

Again, I guess it depends on your requirements. I had a mATX board once years ago, and I've never upgraded my board as quickly as I did then (Within a matter of days).

• What's the difference between the mATX and normal?
    - Smaller than the normal board
    - Usually has fewer expansion slots
    - Usually has fewer RAM and PCI-E slots
    - Overclocking options (If there are any) are limited
    - mATX is usually used in smaller PC's while normal is for more high-end usage
    - Using normal applications, there is little performance difference though between both of them

Again, I guess it depends on your requirements. I had a mATX board once years ago, and I've never upgraded my board as quickly as I did then (Within a matter of days).

From what I can tell then there's really no downside to getting the mATX.

Smaller than the normal board is implied.
    There are the same # of expansion slots
    There are the same # of RAM and PCI-E slots
    I'm not going to OC
    Not sure what #5 implies
    If theres little performance difference then my mATX is good

• a bigger mATX will have most of the same things. On smaller ones normally only one or 2 pci slots are available and even only 2 ram slots. It all depends on the board that you have/get. As long as it has the features you need now and it will last a while (no massive upgrade plans soon) then its a good board.

• I could buy a potato and it would be an upgrade to what I have now.

I think my machine is about 5-6 years old and the only thing I put in it was a sub-par Gfx card (what a waste that was).

I'll mainly be playing WoW and currently I get about 3-10 FPS in a 25 man fight.
  • That's pretty much what it boils down to - If you're generally happy with your existing rig, then that's all that matters. :)

I use my PC for way more things than a normal person does. Want to try out an EATX motherboard next time I upgrade (An XL version of the normal ATX m/b).
  • My existing rig is shit :)

The one I listed is being built (just got my GPU today) and I need to wait till a buddy returns to finish building it.

WHen it is built though, I will be beyond happy.
  • edited September 2014
    Newegg isn't local.

Thanks though.
    I hope I don't buy a new graphics card, I just got my new one yesterday in the mail!