Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What values do you look for in a politician?

edited June 2014 in General
what should they stand for? what attributes should they have? what kind of personality do they need?

Comments

• *grabs popcorn*
  • *grabs Darubian*
  • *bites sb*
  • Muricans and their politics
  • *gets the ball gag*
  • full political transparency is all that is needed, doesnt matter the person who is up there

decisions should be made by science and not by some guy just because majority wanted him there, even though half never even saw him in person.

"the guy" should just press the button science tells him to, and show people he pressed it, when and how...
  • full political transparency is all that is needed, doesnt matter the person who is up there

decisions should be made by science and not by some guy just because majority wanted him there, even though half never even saw him in person.

"the guy" should just press the button science tells him to, and show people he pressed it, when and how...
    Good ideals, but sadly, it is not reality :(
  • Ehhh science just can't tell you certain things like what tax rate should be for provinces or things like that. Can't measure a countries happiness really idk just to much to chance with people
  • I look at three things:
    Their affiliation (Democrat, Republican, Green, Libertarian, Etc.)
    Their Voting history
    If they flip flop.

Everything else is irrelevant.
  • edited June 2014
    realistic empathy, intelligence and charisma

they should be able to understand what the average person is going through. I also like a person that knows about an issue or atleast takes an effort to sanction research and make an informed decision. finally any leader needs to be likeable as people get behind a strong leader.

whether the person truly possesses those values is up for the media to decide I suppose.

you could be shown a 20 minute long speech that they make which is incredible and then lose all confidence in the person just because they tripped over walking down the stairs.
  • I like my politicians like I like my masculinity. Nonexistent. Government is the single greatest thing holding society back from a
  • edited June 2014
    -=COMMUNIST ALERT=-

the only good commie is a dead commie
  • Anarcho capitalist, axtually
  • That was the entire point of our foundation as Americans. A government that left room for all to thrive, while leaving hints of anarchism to protect the population from a government any other than that which had been established. Only over 200 years later do we give everything up for the very thing we were grown to dispise.

Love thy Military, hate my government.
  • The military supports the government
  • anarcho capitalism and communism both fail because people cannot be trusted

there are bad people in this world and there needs to be law and order to deal with them and create a sense of peace

my problem is with over regulation and the obvious fact that corporations run the world.

why exactly is Australia expected to pay upto 50% more for products than other countries? why is it technically illegal for me to bypass these restrictions and buy overseas? why are police spending their time arresting people for piracy as opposed to ridding the world of murderers, rapists and thieves?

inb4 "oh well they are breaking the law"

ask yourself who made the law and you'll realise why its bullshit

• If people cannot be trusted, why elect them to have more power?
  • so that they can make "informed decisions" in the best interests of the rebublic.

And also we need a "fall guy" incase we need to dump all the blame and responsibility when something goes wrong just like Barney from HIMYM, just sign shit w/o asking questions *wink wink*
  • Either people are capable of being in control of their own lives, or they are not. Either way, I don't want them having any say so in my life.
  • dude then you need to live on a deserted island

even before governments were established we had tribes and in those we had tribe leaders who made those same "informed decisions" that the leaders of our country are doing right now.

• yes

there will always be leaders. the world cannot run without some type of leader let it be a supervisor, director, politician.

unfortunantly a lot of people with leadership power cant make a decision on anything.
  • Why should I have to leave? You are the ones trying to violate my human rights. You leave.
  • Why should I have to leave? You are the ones trying to violate my human rights. You leave.
    dont weep mate, its only the pfs.
  • Don't tell me what to do, you don't know my struggle!

Good ideals, but sadly, it is not reality :(
    but we can make it so...the illusion that the person in power is actually in power binds the population into not trying

maybe this wont happen in NA, due to all the enemy-making business they have...just a solid argument to keep all the dirty stuff secret...
  • It's impossible to be a "good" politician in the sense that you please everyone and do the right thing. It's actually better to have people in power that are somewhat shady and corrupt as they can handle the shitstorm better then people that are purely good valued, simple people. If you want to win an election then you have to bend on some of your values and say things you don't necessarily believe. For the most part you can stick to your guns, but you have to be able to play the game to actually get something done in congress or government. People that aren't able to exchange favors, lie, and cheat a little bit will never make progress. Anyone that genuinely believes otherwise is naive.
  • What major did u say u were?
  • edited June 2014
    I'm an economist.

...and writer.