Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make Oceanic fun

2»

Comments

• Yea DA was beast Oceanic! I think I also recall FTB making a #1 Oceanic for the hell of it one round? I could be smoking da good stuff but im pretty sure.
  • I had a massive oceanic explore turtle one round, back when it was 50% off buildings. I don't think the mount/FW kds even stood any chance of ever catching it. 50% off was a good bonus, it really didn't need to be reduced. Now oceanic is le poops.
  • edited March 2014
    DA was definately the best Oceanic player during the old days because if I recall it was the only planet type he played. I actually had that Oceanic kingdom Narshe was called Wave Of Love I remember it so well because xLTx pop killed me in #1 with about 3 hours left in the round, then pop killed FTB's kingdom the same tick pretty sure he was Forest though. Probably the biggest owning I ever got on this game lol. :)

What Ive never understood is BCart is prepared to give +30% offence and basically free attacking units to the attacking landtype but only +10% defence to the defensive landtype? Should be atleast +20% defence and -40-50% building costs then it could compete again not only as a defensive landtype but an attacking one also.

Edit: LukeLandSK also won S1 with an Oceanic one round was called Adrian Peterson couldnt tell you what game though.
  • Yea DA was beast Oceanic! I think I also recall FTB making a #1 Oceanic for the hell of it one round? I could be smoking da good stuff but im pretty sure.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Sephiroth used Multiple Terrain once and finished either first or second with the same point. Player skill is definitely more important than planet type. Guys like Fade, Omni, and Sephiroth could have done well with any planet type.

And to Tank--I used oceanic 4 times out of 5 probably, I would occasionally use Mountainous though. From a purely kingdom building standpoint it was always behind a couple other terrains, but it was reasonably competitive until endgame and had other uses.

The real issue now is just that DW is clearly superior. You attack more than defend anyways, so an offensive bonus is preferred. It's a much larger bonus. You get cheaper units. The disadvantage isn't big. When DW was 15% and Ocean was 10% it felt more equal. Now I don't know why you wouldn't just play DW and build more defensive units. Plus if you are ocean your only advantage is negated by all the DWs anyways.

Of course, its just difficult to balance so many planets against each other without making them all the same. A couple will always be worse.

Perhaps it's just nostalgia, but they used to be pretty well balanced I thought. Mountainous and Terra Form probably were the most used for a long while. But Volcanic, Mystical Lands, DW, and Oceanic were all close and had niche users. F&W was ok too and maybe even in line with those other ones, I never cared for it though.
  • DA was definately the best Oceanic player during the old days because if I recall it was the only planet type he played. I actually had that Oceanic kingdom Narshe was called Wave Of Love I remember it so well because xLTx pop killed me in #1 with about 3 hours left in the round, then pop killed FTB's kingdom the same tick pretty sure he was Forest though. Probably the biggest owning I ever got on this game lol. :)

What Ive never understood is BCart is prepared to give +30% offence and basically free attacking units to the attacking landtype but only +10% defence to the defensive landtype? Should be atleast +20% defence and -40-50% building costs then it could compete again not only as a defensive landtype but an attacking one also.

Edit: LukeLandSK also won S1 with an Oceanic one round was called Adrian Peterson couldnt tell you what game though.
    Ahh okay, yeah that sucks you got owned that bad though. And wasn't the I want you IDB the first MT to finish top 1 with it? I think it was round 7 or something when Vindi was Ron Stoppable?

And the planet type's are just messed up, something thats just going to always be.
  • I had a massive oceanic explore turtle one round, back when it was 50% off buildings. I don't think the mount/FW kds even stood any chance of ever catching it. 50% off was a good bonus, it really didn't need to be reduced. Now oceanic is le poops.
    I remember that round, was -50% explore costs and oceanic was 15% def too I believe. Tried to mass enough tfs to break you but I never could. In the end you disbanded when you became KT.
  • Yeah I was kt'd by 2 alliances, and had no point sitting there since I was 100% def. I waited until a few big kds did their fails and let Konoha farm the crap out of me :P

Between the exploring discount and building discount my land inflated so fast. Oceanic's science penalty really showed itself there.