Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This cold ass weather!

edited January 2014 in General
So I get in my car this morning and this is what my temperature read!

What's even worse is the windchill today is -40 degrees

Can't believe I left LA for this...completely regretting my decision of moving back to Chicago right now :/

Hope you guys in the midwest are staying warm.

Comments

• Staying warm. Shoveled 10+ inches in the last 24 hours because I hate my snowblower. Going to be cold tonight though.
  • edited January 2014
    Oh hey I live in Chicago.

Where in Chi-town are you Osiris? I'm around Logan Square.

Also: this weather makes me love working from home.
  • Yea looks awful going from 90 in the Bahamas and getting rdy to drive back to michigan. Needless to say not looking forward to it lol
  • Staying warm. Shoveled 10+ inches in the last 24 hours because I hate my snowblower. Going to be cold tonight though.
    Makes me glad I live in an apartment building. Though I miss having a yard a lot, it sure makes winters easy.
  • Yeah. The kids and dog need a place to run around and make snowmen, but I do miss other people plowing and cutting grass for me Haha
  • Oh hey I live in Chicago.

I'm in the northwest suburbs in Skokie. I wish I could work from home, that'd be awesome!

I'm in the northwest suburbs in Skokie. I wish I could work from home, that'd be awesome!
    Skokie!

My gf lives up north west of Roger's Park. So not too far off. Do you have IKEA in your backyard?
  • Man its 17 degrees here and I'm about frozen at the joints. But its also never below 20 in the deep south

Skokie!

My gf lives up north west of Roger's Park. So not too far off. Do you have IKEA in your backyard?
    That's like 5mi from where i'm at!

naw, Ikea's far from me something like 20mi away.
  • It's not that much better in Indy, but screw that Chicago wind I wouldn't switch spots.
  • edited January 2014
    Did you know the Windy City term was coined during the selection process for the 1893 World Fair? It was describing the audacity of Chicagoan's seeking the limelight when much more prominent american cities (New York, St. Louis, etc) were also vying for the prize.

So we're the Windy City not because of the wind speeds (we're on a swamp next to a lake, of course it's windy) but because we're full of ourselves.

"Don’t pay any attention", wrote Charles A. Dana, day in and day out in his New York Sun, "to the nonsensical claims of that windy city. Its people could not build a World’s Fair even if they won it".
  • edited January 2014
    It might not have originated from being windy but it sure as hell is fitting, because that city is seriously fucking windy.
  • edited January 2014
    It might not have originated from being windy but it sure as hell is fitting, because that city is seriously fucking windy.
    The average wind speeds (10.3 MPH) are actually lower than many other us cities. Boston, Minneapolis, and Kansas City all beat it. Indianapolis is just shy of it at 9.6 MPH.

Average wind speeds of major US cities: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/wind-speed-city-annual.php

The wind comes from the surplus of large buildings. City engineers effectively built a wind tunnel downtown.
  • Tell em Sci !

but tbh, it does get pretty damn windy here!
  • Down in Wichita, freezing cold here.
  • edited January 2014
    Walking around down town Chicago is like not other city. Those skyscrapers make a 10 mph wind feel like 30mph.
  • Just like Chicago to twist their response that it is windy to prove it's not windy so that they can finally come to the conclusion that you are wrong, but it is in fact extremely windy.
  • I fail to see how you can argue with statistics lol

Wish we had more wind here, so many floods in the UK atm
  • Detroit is #1!!!
  • edited January 2014
    Just like Chicago to twist their response that it is windy to prove it's not windy so that they can finally come to the conclusion that you are wrong, but it is in fact extremely windy.
    It is windy downtown which I acknowledged in my post. I fail to see how I twisted anything, I merely corrected your thinking. Chicago is a much larger city than the downtown area. It is not particularly windy in my neighborhood because we don't have large buildings.

• The floods in the UK r a pain right now sime different weather other than wind and rain would be nice
  • Snow will eventually make its way here if you don't like wind and rain. :)
  • You all get a few flakes of snow and a bit of cold and the violins come out. Were used to that crap every year suck it up! I work in -50 C
  • Dude... Its fucking 25 degrees IN TEXAS. Wtf man, what gives??
  • A few flakes of snow and the UK grinds to a halt. Every damn time, we get told that it'll be different this year and every year it still happens, lol.
  • -25f real feel but my auto start still works :)
  • Damn right freezing here. Tempted to throw boiling water outside to see how fast it turns into steam
  • edited January 2014
    welcome to finland guys ;P tho our life doesnt stop when it gets cold ;)

oh and i think you guys stole our weather, we dont have snow currently where i live, i dont remember a year from my life when its been this warm! usually we get snow around november-december, but not this year, will see if it we get it at all lol, currently +3 celcius :)
  • muwahaha
    I do not regret my decision to move from MN to Taiwan in the slightest when I read about the temps back at home. people here break out the winter coats when it drops down to 60. :P