Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scavenger Hunt

Comments

• I was also a political science major that focused on theory and then went to law school. It's required to keep these lol.
  • Ditto. :) I really enjoyed that particular book out of all the ones I studied. Some of it was a little crazy imo, but I like how he relates goodness and virtue to respect and duty, and discusses how actions done for reward, to avoid punishment, or simply because you happen to feel like it, don't actually qualify as moral actions. I don't really agree with his conclusion that the moral and eternal worth of a person is solely dependent on their submission to moral constraints though. Good actions lose a lot of value in my mind if they are done grudgingly, just because someone feels like they 'have' to. I'm not particularly happy with how he says that is better than doing something good because you genuinely enjoy helping people. I see where the argument comes from, but still...

That's probably too much, but it's interesting stuff to think about. :P
  • Well Mal, it's been 6 days and you're the only poster so far. I guess we might not need another round. I know it's been Christmas, but I'm still kinda surprised. :P I might give this a couple more days, then declare Mal the winner in absence of continuing competition.
  • edited June 2014
    Turns out my father had some books on Confucius:

[Deleted Pic :(]
  • Turns out my father had some books on Confucius:

OOO confucius....can I post a pic of myself too? Afterall I am Chinese and have all the wisdom of the billion chinese forefathers before me...
  • edited December 2011

OOO confucius....can I post a pic of myself too? Afterall I am Chinese and have all the wisdom of the billion chinese forefathers before me...
    Round 9 Start!

Books of Philosophy!

(Plural. Must feature philosophers who have been dead for a minimum of 200 years.)
    I don't think you count as being books (plural) and have been dead for a minimum of 200 years :P Though we could fix that... >_>
  • Aero, Mages, Natso, Neg, Omnifarious, Scientology, and Stone have been eliminated.

It's Mal and Gaga for the final round!

Round 10 Start!

A Yellow Car!

Must be a real automobile of any type, no toys, pictures, or other representations or substitutions.

• Not trying to reenter or w/e (good luck mal and gaga), but a question for Aero, Mages, Neg, Omnifarious, Scientology, and Stone: Couldn't find the books, or did it just sound boring?
  • edited December 2011
    Not trying to reenter or w/e (good luck mal and gaga), but a question for Aero, Mages, Neg, Omnifarious, Scientology, and Stone: Couldn't find the books, or did it just sound boring?
    Too boring. I didn't even really try looking for them. Like I said previously, I have no reason to visit a library and if it can be found on the internet then that's what I prefer.

I asked my dad yesterday if he had any books by any philosiphers and he said no so I said meh.

I'll actually go out and look for a yellow car. See if I can't find one here in Atlanta. =]

EDIT: So just like the previous rounds, if we find books by philosiphers we're back in? I mean it's only fair since that's how the other rounds were.
  • Not trying to reenter or w/e (good luck mal and gaga), but a question for Aero, Mages, Neg, Omnifarious, Scientology, and Stone: Couldn't find the books, or did it just sound boring?
    I don't have many books on Philosophy, though I've read quite a few. The one time I was in a bookstore this past week it was a three hour long fiasco (which is quite normal) and I forgot to check out the Philosophy section. Which is probably for the better as I would have left with even more books.
  • negneg
    edited December 2011
    It was Christmas time so it was the last thing on my mind.

I suppose it was a boring item as well.

If the item we had to search for was something interesting/cool then I probably would of put more effort in.

Something like an original old school gameboy (many good memories of this from my childhood)

A pogo stick (Cool toy but how many people actually have one lying around the house now)

A bike with training wheels etc etc

A couple ideas for neat items :D

Nice job running the whole thing anyway.

• EDIT: So just like the previous rounds, if we find books by philosiphers we're back in? I mean it's only fair since that's how the other rounds were.
    I"m kind of debating it. Technically, you're right, it'd be more consistent that way, but I gave 9 days for that round since it was Christmas time, which seems like more than enough, since it's double any other round already. I'm kind of hoping to wrap it up before the start of the next round as well. If there was anyone who wanted back in quite badly, I might consider it, but it doesn't seem like that is the case currently, or they would have submitted before the deadline.

I'll make a note about more interesting items for the future. =P I had a couple more hard ones lined up that I thought were interesting, but we won't be getting to them.
  • edited December 2011
    Crap, and i was just standing in a carpark for 10 mins before i came home and jumped on here! ~X( Now Mal has 24hrs to beat me :(
  • i'm sick and can't leave the house! I'll figure something out :D
  • edited June 2014
    Sat there for 35mins and nothing, then right before i had to leave:

[Deleted Pic :(]

So, do i win now? :P
  • Congrats MG! ^_^

Game Over
  • Yay me! And i hope you get better soon Mal, i'm fending off a very mild cold myself.

Also, many thanks to Ixta for running such a fun game. I don't care what the others think, i didn't find any of the rounds boring (well the philosophy one came close, but that's just because i couldn't find any at first :P )
  • It was a blast! We'll have another one in Scallywags next round :)
  • I bet you gagazet photoshopped or pasted that tiny cropped yellow car. If anyone lived in NY this would be a lot easier.
  • this sky....you inside a giant ice dome?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, it is in fact a giant ice dome constructed in the middle of summer, it's the only thing we could think of to prevent Ixta from conquering this defenseless country >_>

And i was trying to get a better pic Lews but it's extremely difficult trying to get a picture of a car coming towards you while driving a manual transmission car around some winding streets without crashing :P Plus my 'shop skills aren't that pro anyway... wish they were though, would have made this game so much easier...
  • Yes, it is in fact a giant ice dome constructed in the middle of summer, it's the only thing we could think of to prevent Ixta from conquering this defenseless country >_>

And i was trying to get a better pic Lews but it's extremely difficult trying to get a picture of a car coming towards you while driving a manual transmission car around some winding streets without crashing :P Plus my 'shop skills aren't that pro anyway... wish they were though, would have made this game so much easier...
    Not only that, but you're obviously driving backwards as well!
  • congrats gaga!!

Here's mine. Late but oh well :D
  • MalMal
    edited December 2011

• Nice. Congrats Gaga and good game to all. Look forward to the next.
  • have to join their alliance...thats how they lure ppl in...with candy and games...
    kind of like child molesters
  • Unless we don't want you ;)
  • if you're in a hurry to end the game as well.

i'm sure you could implement some points system for how quickly people get the photo and each round eliminate the people that didn't submit a photo and also the person with the lowest amount of points.

just an idea in future :D
  • it's an option, but it's hard to think of what kind of point system I'd want to work with. Although maybe it'd be better to think about it when I'm not half dead from new years parties. Zzzzzzzzz