Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Birth of SK! When was it?

edited June 2012 in General
Few of us where discussing this early. When did SK start?
So far we have a guestiment of early-mid 1999 - 2000

Thoughts?

Comments

• 1998 for sure, i played a round in 1998, i think its first round was 1997 but i could be off on that...
  • Sk started mid 2000~

Registrant:
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Penticton, British Columbia V2A 4S8
    Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: STARKINGDOMS.COM
    Created on: 24-Jun-00
    Expires on: 01-Dec-12
    Last Updated on: 10-Jun-11

Administrative Contact:
    Wiebe, Bryan @yahoo.com
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Canada

Technical Contact:
    Wiebe, Bryan @yahoo.com
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Canada

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

• Company History

BSG Online Games started in 1999 with the launch of RPG Battle. RPG Battle is an online role playing game where you fight in an online arena against hundreds of monsters. Your upgrade your warrior's weapons and improve skill quickly so that you can fight harder enemies. RPG Battle quickly became popular and had gained over a thousand members within a couple weeks.

Work on our next game began immediately. Star Kingdoms was introduced in August, 2000. Compete in an online universe as an entire kingdom. Make allies and enemies as you build your armies and send them into galactic conquest. Star Kingdoms is the most popular of our online games as it promotes an online community as you must work with your sector-mates to achieve victory.

Our latest game: Good Hockey was launched in March, 2005. Good Hockey is an ice hockey dynasty simulator. Users get to build a hockey empire and can control every aspect of owning a hockey club.

Since our launch in 1999 we have received over 1 billion page views and our popularity continues to grow.

• also you are forgetting he moved servers on his BSGID login system, before that Starkingdoms existed and was played, im quite sure 1997 or 1998 was the origin of the starkingdoms games, it was ported to BSG in 2000
  • Where did you get that history from bio?
  • I played in 1989 on my Tandy1000..
  • xDarkmossx --> BSG Online Games website --> Company information

im 100% sure that BSG was the Version 2.0 archived games, the version 1.0 and 1.1 games are BEFORE 2000 (the port to BSG)

Version 1.1 was roughly 1998-1999 and version 1.0 should be 1997-1998

my first round was the round 9 in ROCK, but i didnt know shit back then :)
  • I started in 2000, in game 6. Is this lining up at all?
  • edited June 2012
    You're wrong bio.

SK just started as the description of what bcart says. There were certainly no beta games before June 2000 when the domain was purchased. Version 2.0 started in around 2004.
  • im pretty sure i played pre 2000 :S
  • edited June 2012
    There should be no confusion in your time line. Round 9 v1.0 was like winterish 2001- 2002.
  • 5 rounds a year makes 50+20 / 5 = 70/5 years worth of rounds in the list meaning 14 years of rounds.

current date being 2012 the game started 1998ish

• you do realise there were rounds of 1 month, 4 months, 3 months, 2 months
  • You're clearly wrong, as everything is laid out right in front of you.

I started playing in fall 2000, and it was game 3 and SK had a domain name and everything :P
  • Yeah, and my first game was in 1999 or 2000, and it was game 4.
  • I started winter of my freshman year in highscool, that was 12 years ago.
  • well i played it on high school and last year of dutch elementary (group 8) means i play this shit from at least 1999 and i know i played rounds in 1.0, so that makes me wonder if my years are off in some way....
  • I played in g3 of 1.0 and it had to be in 2000.
  • Wrong bio, version 2.0 didnt start from 2000.

I played from b3 to b16 v1.0 during high school, and that was like 2001-2003/4 for me.
  • im pretty sure Bio is right. I started playing this game when i was 17 years old. Im 31 now meaning i played this game 14 years ago. thats also 1998 :)
  • this game isnt 14 years old, have you seen the earlier post?
    Sk started mid 2000~

Registrant:
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: STARKINGDOMS.COM
    Created on: 24-Jun-00
    Expires on: 01-Dec-12
    Last Updated on: 10-Jun-11

Administrative Contact:
    Wiebe, Bryan @yahoo.com
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Canada

Technical Contact:
    Wiebe, Bryan @yahoo.com
    BSG Online Games
    1115 King St
    Canada

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    enough said.
  • lol im not joking. dont ask me how but im totally sure im playing this game 14 years
  • So the domain was Registered in June of 2000, the owner of the game said that the game started in August of 2000 (assuming round 1 after betas?)

Yet, people still swear they played in 1998 :P
  • Maybe BCart ninja jacked someone elses game.
  • The game didn't officially start til I showed in Sept of 00.. I brought the party
  • people try too hard to pass off playing earlier and earlier, trying to act like some huge old god with no real proof, it goes further back and back to try and one up someone else's lie, where in time it shows how stupid the community is with lies of playing "first"

all you need to know is bcart and maverick played this game first. Nuff said.
  • http://wayback.archive.org/web/20000515000000*/http://www.starkingdoms.com

15th Aug 2000 is the first entry for www.starkingdoms.com when it entered beta mode.
  • Just because the domain was bought in 00 doesn't mean it wasn't registered elsewhere. When I joined back in 00 there were several thousand players and I know they didn't all show up just for me.
  • 01 for me cos i missed alphas....pretty certain started 00.
  • Just because the domain was bought in 00 doesn't mean it wasn't registered elsewhere. When I joined back in 00 there were several thousand players and I know they didn't all show up just for me.
    Back in 2000 web based games were where it was at, it was nothing for a new game to draw in a few thousand people in a short time with simple word of mouth. That was also about when the main fame was utopia, and many spin offs and copy cats were popping up and people couldn't get enough. Back then there was no php/MySQL, everything was done in cgi and CVS. The database was txt files and you could read them, just had to know the location of the file. Programming wise it was very crude, and very easily exploitable but not many people knew how to back then, now you can just google it.