Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How productive are you?

edited September 2015 in General
Read an article about a 6 hour work day in sweden and thought shit that will never pass in my country. I mean we work from 9 to 6 but in actual fact most come in at half 8 before the boss and leave at like 7 or 8 when the boss finally decides to leave cos u know you cant leave work before the boss goes first.

We spend half our time and the few hours before we go home surfing the net pretending we are busy. I think we only do any meaningful work like 2 hours a day max. I dont understand why we have to waste time pretending to do work when we can be home and live life.

Is it the same in other countries?

Comments

• i would say that sounds about par for the course in office environments
  • If your time is from 9 to 18 then you shouldn't wait for any boss to leave when he leaves after your time.

Unless you get paid for your extra hours.

Anyway I would prefer to go home.

• I'm in Argentina and the regular job schedule is Mon-Fri 9 to 18. Just like there. But you usually start at 9, and leave at 18. There are some exception, ofc.

About myself I'd never agree to stay more hours or to feel that I've got to stay more than the hours I've got to be here and I get paid for.

But then it happens something like there, like I usually finish all the stuff midday. But I've got to stay til 18 in case something happen in those hours. But I spend that time playing Hearthstone or drawing . :p
  • i'd love to have 6h work times around here, give the parents some time to actually be parents instead of simply providers...
  • oh, i've also read about this thing called home office...

getting paid for productivity and not simply by being present in the workplace seems more effective...
  • They dont want us to have free time to think...
  • i'd love to have 6h work times around here, give the parents some time to actually be parents instead of simply providers...
    this

• Remote work from home is the new future, already alot of people work like this, but still many companies dont agree to this, just think about savings when you dont have to pay extra money for employers workspace, desk,pc ,chair, office rent etc. I work remotely with few drives a month to different locations. And if i had to work from 8-17 i think i would quit my job in first month. So if its possible here in Lithuania then its possible anywhere, its 21st century afterall...ofcourse it doesnt work with all types of job you cant paint a wall sitting at home
  • Remote work from home is the new future, already alot of people work like this, but still many companies dont agree to this, just think about savings when you dont have to pay extra money for employers workspace, desk,pc ,chair, office rent etc. I work remotely with few drives a month to different locations. And if i had to work from 8-17 i think i would quit my job in first month. So if its possible here in Lithuania then its possible anywhere, its 21st century afterall...ofcourse it doesnt work with all types of job you cant paint a wall sitting at home
    Foolish way of thinking. You cant make contacts or network working from home. I've doubled the capacity of my job just by walking around and talking to important people. Now I fly around the globe less than a year and a half out of school, and have gotten 2 promotions + manage multiple people nearly twice my age while doing maybe 10% busy work a day.

If I had worked from home, I'd still just be a basic electrical design engineer doing peasant work my whole life. But with 2 hours extra a day free time wooo

• I work nights 10pm-6am 5 nights a week(40hrs) in a warehouse ran by DHL so they're quite on top of hours versus production although people do skim downtime here and there. We're paid by the hour so it wouldn't make sense to go early really. If overtime is required we have to do it in 4hr blocks which means a twelve hour shift so for most of us on nights that's a 6pm-6am which can affect home life for a couple of days.

Less hours for the same money would be great but unfortunately things like mortgages, vehicles, food etc mean we need the money so we need to work a certain number of hours regardless or we fall into debt or go without.
    Foolish way of thinking. You cant make contacts or network working from home. I've doubled the capacity of my job just by walking around and talking to important people. Now I fly around the globe less than a year and a half out of school, and have gotten 2 promotions + manage multiple people nearly twice my age while doing maybe 10% busy work a day.

If I had worked from home, I'd still just be a basic electrical design engineer doing peasant work my whole life. But with 2 hours extra a day free time wooo

hahaha...dude thinks home office means sitting at home for 8h instead of sitting in the office for 8h
  • edited September 2015
    When I needed to be in the office, I will be there max 2 hours to get things done. And thats all productive.

With the garden and landscape company, our day is usually 5-6 hours and it is usually packed with back breaking work. And then we go home and spend whatever i left of the day, usually family BBQ.

loaf: Way back in my first job, full time in the office about 8 hour day, I am pretty sure my productivity is only 5 hours. The 3 hours....nada... I guess this is sort of what office life is like in general.
    im lucky to have 6 hour day this summer, but it is hard working 6 hour day. Well, there is still family BBQ before the day ends, so it is really worth it. I guess...if you can... a 6 hour day is great.
  • im productive about 4hours in the office which would be a problem if I didn't work at a production plant where I need to be on the floor dealing with issues for the rest of my day