Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So if you were to adopt a baby...

edited May 2015 in General
When do you think is the right time to tell them they were adopted or would you never tell them?

Comments

• When they started asking questions about why they don't look much like mommy or daddy.

Or if they never ask i'd slowly start talking to them around probably 11-13 range when they would start to understand.

I think its bad hiding the fact till later in life and if they had any questions they could process through all of it and we as parents could help them figure out what they wanted to do in a supportive environment etc.
  • oh I forgot this is sk so I should give a trolly answer.

I'd never tell them and tell them bob dole is actualy the father of mages children.
  • Wait...so I get to make the baby and not have to raise it? TAKE THAT CHAD!
  • True story.

My friend found out the hard way through biology class. His parents blood types were AB and B but he was somehow O. Dude was out of it for a week.
  • tell the child you were dumpster diving and found the child there, as there was nothing else of value in the dumpster you took it in hope of selling it, but later found out it's not allowed and it would be a felony as well to just put it back there.
  • As soon as the "where do babies come from" talk comes up. You raise the kid knowing that his parent(s) are different and chose to love him. Less trauma that way.

11-13 years old is probably the worst time to drop that news on a kid. That's a rough age as it is, trying to figure out who they are and blah blah hormones. Gonna have to do it when they're little or wait til high school graduation.
    A friend of mind found out in high school.. it was hard on her.
  • This topic lacks troll comments!

Loaf, they don't let convicted pedos adopt so don't get your hopes up.
  • I'll sell it for crack
  • Tell horrible stories about a "strange family", then use it as a threat to send the kid to them.

Later on, when you tell that he is adopted, slightly suggest the strange family is the bio parents and he'll never want to leave you for them
  • edited May 2015
    Never. I'd tell it that it was a biological experiment and the doctors messed something up. That's how it became Asian even though mom and dad are whiteys. Then I would punish him by not feeding him his rice for the night and tell him he'd better get studying the new tax code because mommy and daddy need some new loopholes.

Good enough for you Bean?
  • My parents told me at 4. I grew up knowing and adjusting to it as I matured, so it was very easy to deal with. I think that if you tell them before they can fully understand it, by the time they do, it won't be a big deal
  • 4 yr old wont even understand the word adopt so did they say like we arent your real mommy and daddy?Didnt you think like mommy is not my real mommy?

• well, if you follow the word adopt with short descriptions, the kid can absorb the info partially.

growing the kid in a non-aversive enviroment and developing her self steem with lots of love, she might even think there's a real dad and mother out there, but she will rather stay with you.

• I would say at a very early age but also reassuring them that you'll always be there for them. That way, they'll know about it and will have plenty of time to accept it as they grow older and start understanding what was said. Telling them when they're older in the midst of all the other issues that they'll have will just fuck them up when something like this is revealed to them.
  • They didn't say adopt, obviously, but by the time I learned what adoption was I was like "oh, that's me!" And I was pretty OK with it.
  • you use the 6 month rule of thumb.

it's great for all sensitive information.

you tell people up to 6 months after they were born, or 6 months or less prior to their death.

sometimes it's hard to predict when people die. so you gotta schedule it in your calendar and make it work. if u know what i mean.
  • This is why euthanasia should be legal.
  • Not sure how many of you are parents or who your kids are. Or what they can comprehend. My kids at 4 years of age could be told "the word adopt means.." and understand such.
  • tell the child you were dumpster diving and found the child there, as there was nothing else of value in the dumpster you took it in hope of selling it, but later found out it's not allowed and it would be a felony as well to just put it back there.
    LOOOOOL

• When they started asking questions about why they don't look much like mommy or daddy.

Or if they never ask i'd slowly start talking to them around probably 11-13 range when they would start to understand.

I think its bad hiding the fact till later in life and if they had any questions they could process through all of it and we as parents could help them figure out what they wanted to do in a supportive environment etc.
    My cousin know she was adopted since she was 5. She said she was more comfortable that way telling her friends at school she is adopted. That way, the question is answered before the longer questions are asked.

If I adopt one to expand my brod to compete with Angelina Jolie, I think I will tell the kid at 5 when she goes to kindergarten. But..that's just me.