Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TIPS and Tricks: Newbie Guide, calculators, and Expert Tips

Comments

• @Lynog

Sorry man if it annoys you. I will stick to posting to my 20 Discussions Bookmarked. So far, this thread has been used to update Newbie Guides and RMag update on his calculator.
    I am pretty sure you don't need this thread man. Just skip it really. And yes, no cookie to you too. Cheers.
  • I'll be arguing for start in growth and switch to mobi early forever. Simply because the extra pop you get in growth translates to as much income as you save by being in growth. With a switch to mobi at 36 to go you end up with many more soldiers than you'd get with a mobi start. And if you say sci I'd argue research is just as good with a growth start again because of the money.

Optimal start on terra Form always involves razing a few res. On s2 it's about 13 res razed for optimal in growth and more in mobi. S1 it'll be a bit less since buildings are more expensive comparatively but still raze some since they take so long to fill. Then Rae the sm you made with them to make res again roughly 12 hours in depending on strat. For terra Form this is where you start razing all your sm to res. Should be all res and pf by h 36 and running huge pop depending on pf.
  • Also on terra the initial research isn't important. The number of sci you crank out first 24h matters yes but growth turns out just as God on that front initially better long term. I've done the math on it and it's a slam dunk to start growth for both terra and fw. On others there are strats where a mobi start could make some sense. In general unless it's dw I'm against it. But there's some player preference too at that point.

I believe meadows is correct on the missile nw btw. Nuclear are anyway.
  • Also last time I played I ended up razing 23 pp on terra. Works just fine. People underestimate how little it costs to raze buildings in newbie. Better than converting and you can do it many times. Finished razing the 23 after land reward 2 ticks in and started building them beck maybe 20h later. But it's worth it. As long as you'll be getting solars which you always should even on s1. So so so cheap in newbie and if you get it right away saves money later since you can purchase them before people get most of their end newbie troops and nw in
  • Ashnod, im guna put this out there mate, your post whoring is actually starting to annoy me, you seem to have no idea whats actually happening ingame nor do you have any real relevance to anything, in these forums though you just wont shut up. Please stop. I dont wanna reply saying you will get a cookie or anything like that, please just pipe down. Cheers
    i like ashnod's post whoring!:-) COOkies!

she brings some positivity to it all!

i was going to not respond to this because i like lynog and i don't want him to be mad at me, BUT we should all have cookies and popcorn together!;-)
  • Okay then @Veii, I have to say, I will leave the cookie jar full, just in case Lynog decides to drop by and get some cookie.

I have popcorn made: cheese and caramel. I think Shining wants the caramel ones.

And I think Mages wanted the one with Jalapeño on top. ... so I have this variety.
  • Also on terra the initial research isn't important. The number of sci you crank out first 24h matters yes but growth turns out just as God on that front initially better long term. I've done the math on it and it's a slam dunk to start growth for both terra and fw. On others there are strats where a mobi start could make some sense. In general unless it's dw I'm against it. But there's some player preference too at that point.

I believe meadows is correct on the missile nw btw. Nuclear are anyway.
    Thanks @Ryansth16.

This round, we(my sector) voted for Growth all the way, then mobi at -16.

Does it make sense?
    I tend to notice that exploring is more expensive when you are mobi mode?
  • Mob 72-60
    Growth 60-29
    Mob 29-5
    Growth until you mass offence.

Anything else is a lie
  • For DW:

Mob 72-60
    Growth 60-29
    Mob 29-End of round.
  • Mob 72-60
    Growth 60-29
    Mob 29-5
    Growth until you mass offence.

Anything else is a lie
    This^^ don't over complicate a simple game. Also, in newbiemode, all the extra work needed for "optimal" strats is simply not worth the effort for minimal differences. Tick hit. Use your probes well, be active and use your common sense and you will be fine
  • For DW:

Mob 72-60
    Growth 60-29
    Mob 29-End of round.
    Land is so cheap you wouldn't be able to sustain constant mobi if you were using probes correctly. Mobi from 1k land would defo be doable but you're far too easy to kill and defo will be killed for being a threat.
  • @Lynog

Sorry man if it annoys you. I will stick to posting to my 20 Discussions Bookmarked. So far, this thread has been used to update Newbie Guides and RMag update on his calculator.
    I am pretty sure you don't need this thread man. Just skip it really. And yes, no cookie to you too. Cheers.
    It's not the posting that annoys me. It's the obvious posts that show you have no idea what you are talking about or what's going on. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking this.
  • @Lynog

It's not the posting that annoys me. It's the obvious posts that show you have no idea what you are talking about or what's going on. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking this.
    Did you miss ashnods comeback round? She talked big and tried to lead an alliance. A very, very, verrrrrry large series of shitty decisions led to her getting torn to pieces in the PFs.

It's like picking on a retarded kid who just lost his dog.
  • For DW:

Mob 72-60
    Growth 60-29
    Mob 29-End of round.
    Land is so cheap you wouldn't be able to sustain constant mobi if you were using probes correctly. Mobi from 1k land would defo be doable but you're far too easy to kill and defo will be killed for being a threat.
    Good points that I hadn't considered. Thanks. :)
  • edited March 2015
    Zeal: Thanks for pointing that out. I come back to a different universe and I am oblivious to the fact that you can only handpick the # of players that you can have a good discussion.

Fact is, there is very few players now and few of them can continue a rational discussion without resorting to retarded comments.

The universe that I was in... was far from perfect, but there were really people there that can think and discuss, and come up with resolution, even if we do not agree with each other.

Unfortunately, the come back/ re-union round was full of people who have hopes that is something left of SK: the fun conversation, dis-agreement and coming up with reasonable agreement, or both agree to war, and even simple courtesy of helping new players without talking them down.
    Yes, I came back with hopes and bigger dreams. Even bringing along 50 players who want to just see what it is like ... feeling an SK re-union. Yes, it disappointed many people, but I am also NOT personally disappointed with it.

If you look worldwide, the retard level has gone massively high. Then, maybe SK community is not an exception.

@Lynog: I know exactly which thread you are talking about. I derailed it. I am sorry.

What pains me in that thread is that there is an issue raise on the other side, a very valid one. And the reply on the other one is pure blatant ignore/I don't hear your side/ but this is what is going on my side, take a look at this and this is a proof (post proof unrelated to the original issue).
    WTF, it hurts my brain, and I would post something that support or invalidates the other claim, but it really does not solve the original issue that you were trying to resolve.

So, yeah, its frustrating, but I have come to embrace this universe. It is SK, it is the same game. Sure, if I really need to ask clarifications ...I'd send a PM. Otherwise, there is cookie and popcorn comment will suffice.
  • Ha. Some people enjoy science, or in this case math. As you can see Lynog doesn't like to learn and play, he learned before made strong opinions and that's his reality. Jones too. Mathematically their strategies are suboptimal. And if people cared I wouldn't mind proving why. But people dont. They are right though in that these relatively small strategic errors at start have small impact. At this point I do some of those types of complacency as well. However it's not overcomplicating significant differences and important enough people spend a lot of time on them. If you care enough to do max explore these are 10x more important just saying.
  • Time is better spent though learning how to identify good targets to attack and tick hit. And/Or spreadsheet like some of the tops do. Those hits are land and more importantly cash. And even then even those are overratwd early mobi though is terrible no matter how you put it. 4 wl few man.
  • newbie tips?

well for starters, just pick an easy Terra PT and you will easily be up there in scores- provided you're active enough and care about achieving it.

probes will get you higher, however an easy probeless kd will still get you up there with little effort

And if you've never had that experience of building a competitive kd - fun of being a threat and grabbing top kds, well pick an easy DW PT. Nothing can possibly go wrong with that KD - apart from you being KT'd for being a threat

When Bcart decided to be "creative", he had decided to make SK a game with difficulty level through altering the PTs. It's like a game of red alert where you have beginner, medium, hard level.

Bottom line is, just pick terra and you'll be fine.

With regards to newbie mode strat,

it doesn't really matter how you play your newbie mode. the game only starts to matter after the newbie mode ends. generally the most active players will end up at the top. and you will find that they all have one thing in common: high probe count. early robbings are easier, as there are plenty of inacs which you can easily max rob with your probes in hand. it gets tougher for some as they grow bigger -- along with your probes

Normally, hitting 25land inacs are the way to go. if you're robbing max, hitting efficiently when your wls return - 4x25land inacs with lots of cash, nothing can possibly go wrong with your kd. before you know it, you'll be up there. Inacs isn't auto generated, hence someone has to make them. and don't be surprised, people actually go through the trouble to do that and time their hits

In an ideal legit SK world, people often forget that the most important aspect of the game isn't your KD building skills, but the right people you know in the game. if you have that (the powerful big boys on your side), you practically have a free pass to the top.

• @Lynog

Like you have any idea what's going on either. lol
  • zao,
    Yeah if you like playing the kiss ass political game and stack battles to your advantage and play for UA/friends instead of alliance, of course friends are most important for score. if not you die early. go alone and they'll kill you. if you go with a group of friends it breaks competitioin. That's what I don't like with s1

yeah TF is too strong. By a lot. DW too for offense.

And 250 land KDs usually aren't the ones you want to really go up fast. Usually best ones are like 320 land and 2 mil cash. The cash is the big one. 250 is usually unbuilt. 289 or 290 are good target lands to look at I find.
  • edited April 2015
    @Lynog

Did you miss ashnods comeback round? She talked big and tried to lead an alliance. A very, very, verrrrrry large series of shitty decisions led to her getting torn to pieces in the PFs.

It's like picking on a retarded kid who just lost his dog.
    I must want to reinforce a point = ashnod brought back a lot of players. There was a lot of excitement on our end (something off of the pfs) and a lot of doubt. When the group that kted ashnod and i out of noob mode it destroyed a lot of work to bring a lot of players...doubt won.

Goodjob.
  • Whats tick hitting?
  • newbie tips?

well for starters, just pick an easy Terra PT and you will easily be up there in scores- provided you're active enough and care about achieving it.

probes will get you higher, however an easy probeless kd will still get you up there with little effort

And if you've never had that experience of building a competitive kd - fun of being a threat and grabbing top kds, well pick an easy DW PT. Nothing can possibly go wrong with that KD - apart from you being KT'd for being a threat

When Bcart decided to be "creative", he had decided to make SK a game with difficulty level through altering the PTs. It's like a game of red alert where you have beginner, medium, hard level.

Bottom line is, just pick terra and you'll be fine.

With regards to newbie mode strat,

it doesn't really matter how you play your newbie mode. the game only starts to matter after the newbie mode ends. generally the most active players will end up at the top. and you will find that they all have one thing in common: high probe count. early robbings are easier, as there are plenty of inacs which you can easily max rob with your probes in hand. it gets tougher for some as they grow bigger -- along with your probes

Normally, hitting 25land inacs are the way to go. if you're robbing max, hitting efficiently when your wls return - 4x25land inacs with lots of cash, nothing can possibly go wrong with your kd. before you know it, you'll be up there. Inacs isn't auto generated, hence someone has to make them. and don't be surprised, people actually go through the trouble to do that and time their hits

In an ideal legit SK world, people often forget that the most important aspect of the game isn't your KD building skills, but the right people you know in the game. if you have that (the powerful big boys on your side), you practically have a free pass to the top.

+1 i developed a mathematical building model using dw. Once i believed it ready to dominate i made a playthrough with terra for the reasons mentioned, a secret kted me when it was apparent i would dom the verse...know the right people.
  • Whats tick hitting?
    lololol
  • Can I ask a really noob question..

With exploring, isn't it always better to max explore every hour that you are online as this will maximise the cost effectiveness of exploring as the more land you get, the greater the cost to explore.. so if you choose to wait til you can explore 24 land while you're already increasing in land, each land is going to be worth more than if you explored every hour.

Is this correct?
  • edited April 2015
    no, explore in group of 24
  • Can I ask a really noob question..

With exploring, isn't it always better to max explore every hour that you are online as this will maximise the cost effectiveness of exploring as the more land you get, the greater the cost to explore.. so if you choose to wait til you can explore 24 land while you're already increasing in land, each land is going to be worth more than if you explored every hour.

Is this correct?
    I'm really noob-ish and I was debating myself to wait for sets of 24. So, I did explore anyways, while I have the chance.
    Say, I already explore 24 lands, and 5 hours later I log in. I can definitely explore 5 more lands- cost less, and the additional 5 land comes in from hour 19-24 towards the end.

Still cost effective, the 24 hour sets should just be applicable to Turtle Strategy. At least, the way I see it.

• edited April 2015
    Actually. The best times to explore are at the 0's closest to 24 land

For example. If at 480 land you could explore 23 land. You should. Waiting on hour still gets that land to you at the same time. But it costs less. If you can explore 24, Then explore that.

To expand a bit. If you can explore 20 land at 479, waiting 1 tick let's you explore 22 land instead. Getting you that land faster so you should wait 1 tick.
  • So I ran through some newbie simulator scenarios, and while exploring every hour does save you money, it doesn't maximise your land gain.

Of course once you're well out of newbie it makes sense to explore in multiples of 24.