Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leonard Nimoy has passed

edited February 2015 in General
So sad. :(

Comments

• a dark day in nerddom
  • indeed.

thats illogical.
  • edited February 2015
    Star trek sucked
  • star trek sucked
    I request a mod ban.
  • edited February 2015
    star trek sucked
    I request a mod ban.
    +1

+1
  • star trek sucked
    I request a mod ban.
    +1

The original post was edited, these quotes are now the only proof he said it. Darubian fail
  • Hey! I wouldn't have edited his post...I didn't like the original movies/tv shows. Only the two recent movies am I okay with.
  • Hey! I wouldn't have edited his post...I didn't like the original movies/tv shows. Only the two recent movies am I okay with.
    I request a mod ban
    I request a mod ban
  • I request a man bod.
  • Can I join?
  • edited February 2015
    seriously star trek was terrible. the new star trek movies were much better and far more visually appealing

Eat shit trekkies

Doesnt mean i dont have respect for the dead
    RIP Nimoy millions of nerdy 40 year old virgins will miss you as well as most sk players which also fall into that category
  • what kind of arrangement that I don't know about?
  • edited February 2015
    seriously star trek was terrible. the new star trek movies were much better and far more visually appealing

Eat shit trekkies

Doesnt mean i dont have respect for the dead
    RIP Nimoy millions of nerdy 40 year old virgins will miss you as well as most sk players which also fall into that category
    The new movies are action with no plot and little exploration. The original shows had worse acting, and less visuals, but more interesting plots. I'd enjoy watching the new movies more, but feel like the shows were more fulfilling. There's nothing in the movies that I look back at and think "that was special" I just think "ooh, shiny explosions."
  • Honestly the series is amazing. Visuals in the past aside the under tones of racial tensions during the time really shine through in the show of acceptance that can be found in the betterment of the human race.

The show was kind of,corny the first couple,of movies were really good. Tng and ds9 were excellent so there's that.

Star trek really tackled a lot of social barriers at the time which was awesome
  • edited March 2015
    Damdred is totally correct.. the original series was a leader in many ways. for example, It was an extremely racially diverse cast that had characters of differing races in powerful positions as well as leadership roles. It broke a first when Uhura kissed Kirk. That was the first time a black woman had kissed a white man on screen. Which at that time, many frowned on interracial relationships, so it was a big deal for prime time tv.

Star trek also destroyed many stereo types and gender roles. Women were displayed in positions of power and leadership, such as captain and admiral. There was a large amount of interactions that showed women as more than props as well as men of different races breaking stereotypes and acting in smart, developed and meaningful roles.

In short, the original series addresses many current issues in their stories. Racism, womens equality, cultural degeneration, political unrest, war and human nature, to name just a few.

They also influenced the future of our electronics and inspired many young people of the time to emulate and invent the things they saw as the future. touch screens, mobile computers, flip phones, space exploration and quantum physics to mention a few things inspired by the show.

• One of my Favorite Spock incarnations
  • Photography
    Nimoy's interest in photography began in childhood; for the rest of his life, he owned a camera that he rebuilt at the age of 13. His photography studies at UCLA occurred after Star Trek and Mission: Impossible, when Nimoy seriously considered changing careers. His work has been exhibited at the R. Michelson Galleries in Northampton, Massachusetts[15] and the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art.

Directing
    Nimoy made his directorial debut in 1973, with the "Death on a Barge" segment for an episode of Night Gallery during its final season. It was not until the early 1980s that Nimoy resumed directing on a consistent basis, ranging from television shows to motion pictures. Nimoy directed Star Trek III: The Search for Spock in 1984 and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in 1986. He also directed the 1987 film Three Men and a Baby. His final directorial credit was in 1995 for the episode "Killshot", the pilot for the television series Deadly Games.

Writing
    Nimoy authored two volumes of autobiography. The first was called I Am Not Spock (1975) and was controversial, as many fans incorrectly assumed that Nimoy was distancing himself from the Spock character. In the book, Nimoy conducts dialogues between himself and Spock. The contents of this first autobiography also touched on a self-proclaimed "identity crisis" that seemed to haunt Nimoy throughout his career. It also related to an apparent love/hate relationship with the character of Spock and the Trek franchise.

I went through a definite identity crisis. The question was whether to embrace Mr. Spock or to fight the onslaught of public interest. I realize now that I really had no choice in the matter. Spock and Star Trek were very much alive and there wasn't anything that I could do to change that.[52]

The second volume, I Am Spock (1995), saw Nimoy communicating that he finally realized his years of portraying the Spock character had led to a much greater identification between the fictional character and himself. Nimoy had much input into how Spock would act in certain situations, and conversely, Nimoy's contemplation of how Spock acted gave him cause to think about things in a way that he never would have thought if he had not portrayed the character. As such, in this autobiography Nimoy maintains that in some meaningful sense he has merged with Spock while at the same time maintaining the distance between fact and fiction.

Nimoy also composed several volumes of poetry, some published along with a number of his photographs. A later poetic volume entitled A Lifetime of Love: Poems on the Passages of Life was published in 2002. His poetry can be found in the Contemporary Poets index of The HyperTexts.[53] Nimoy adapted and starred in the one-man play Vincent (1981), based on the play Van Gogh (1979) by Phillip Stephens.

In 1995, Nimoy was involved in the production of Primortals, a comic book series published by Tekno Comix about first contact with aliens, which had arisen from a discussion he had with Isaac Asimov. There was a novelization by Steve Perry.

Music
    During and following Star Trek, Nimoy also released five albums of musical vocal recordings on Dot Records.[54] On his first album, Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space, and half of his second album Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy, science fiction-themed songs are featured where Nimoy sings as Spock. On his final three albums, he sings popular folk songs of the era and cover versions of popular songs, such as "Proud Mary" and Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line". There are also several songs on the later albums that were written or co-written by Nimoy. He described how his recording career got started:

Charles Grean of Dot Records had arranged with the studio to do an album of space music based on music from Star Trek, and he has a teenage daughter who's a fan of the show and a fan of Mr. Spock. She said, 'Well, if you're going to do an album of music from Star Trek, then Mr. Spock should be on the album.' So Dot contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in either speaking or singing on the record. I said I was very interested in doing both. ... That was the first album we did, which was called Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space. It was very well received and successful enough that Dot then approached me and asked me to sign a long-term contract.[55]
    Nimoy's voice appeared in sampled form on a song by the pop band Information Society in the late Eighties. The song, "What's on Your Mind (Pure Energy)" (released in 1988), reached No. 3 on the US Pop charts, and No. 1 on the Dance charts.

Nimoy played the part of the chauffeur in the 1985 music video of The Bangles' cover version of "Going Down to Liverpool". He also appeared in the alternate music video for the song "The Lazy Song" by pop artist Bruno Mars.[49]
  • edited March 2015
    quote: Star trek also destroyed many stereo types and gender roles. Women were displayed in positions of power and leadership, such as captain and admiral. There was a large amount of interactions that showed women as more than props as well as men of different races breaking stereotypes and acting in smart, developed and meaningful roles. [endquote @Req]

When I first talk about ambition of going to aerospace engineering , I was only 7 years old. My teacher said, " Life is not Star Trek", find some respectable occupation like teacher, nurse, or secretary.

It may not be Star Trek, but it inspired me to push boundaries. Yes, I made it to aerospace engineering program, and I never been to space. Granting I broke the barriers of cultural norms and gender roles, it is way more than Star Trek.

Kudos to Rodenberry for the story lines.
  • I hope you get to go to space someday
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks Aza.

I don't think I would have my chance in this lifetime, my son perhaps.

Many of the funding were switch around and I would go for smaller companies in private like SpaceX, probably working on the technical aspects of propulsion systems and payload.
    :)