Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sk community game

Comments

• And isn't Holo some novice/mediocre programmer as well?
  • I am taking a intro to game development class next semester for fun :o...
  • Eh, when it comes to group think I'm better at background/plot events to advance the story/character development.

Also not terribly interested in taking the time to audition for a speculative project led? by someone who doesn't appear to be overly committed to taking the lead. No offense intended, but I do have to agree with Ray that if you really want to get a team together, if you really want to pursue this, a couple small projects to get the ball rolling, see what works, who works well together, is probably better than jumping into something feet first.

Lol, at least pick a direction more targeted than just SK-themed.
  • I don't know much about the programming side of things, but what do you guys that have made games before use? Flash? Javascript? Unity?
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    Eh, when it comes to group think I'm better at background/plot events to advance the story/character development.

Also not terribly interested in taking the time to audition for a speculative project led? by someone who doesn't appear to be overly committed to taking the lead. No offense intended, but I do have to agree with Ray that if you really want to get a team together, if you really want to pursue this, a couple small projects to get the ball rolling, see what works, who works well together, is probably better than jumping into something feet first.

Lol, at least pick a direction more targeted than just SK-themed.
    Well, I'm neither leading a project nor am I looking for auditions. I'm mostly just curious. When I asked for a short story, I didn't mean it as "The person with the best story gets to write for the game I'm planning on making with the help of people from the SKPFs." I just want to see some ideas flow to see how much interest there is here in making a game. I really don't think it will even happen, so like I said, this is more out of curiosity than anything.

That isn't to say I don't want it to happen. I would love to help out on such a thing, even if it turned out to be a complete failure, just for the experience of it. But I'm not the leader type. I have 0 experience in making games or being a leader. If a leader is necessary to make a game, that will just have to be another role someone else would have to take.
  • edited December 2014
    There's this new sdk that has my interest, http://www.projectanarchy.com/download [for mobile] I've been itching to try it out.

something simple would be in python or java. That being said, python has a lot more power/scalability and you won't run into as many legacy issues [take a peek at EVE]. C++ for a larger-scale game is another option. But honestly, langs are not as important as figuring out what you want to do in said game. Create models of characters you want to use, that's a good start that takes minimal coding skill. Create a concept, then present that.

I usually make a spider-graph on a whiteboard and go from there.

EDIT::: My problem is that I don't work too well with others.
  • Alright, then that lines up with the vibe I've been getting from your posts, Xel.

As far as ideas are concerned, a game SK-themed would have to be only very loosely SK-based if you want story and graphics. The mechanics of this text-based game is largely math and networking...doesn't translate well to something more interactive.

If you're just looking to bring graphics to an SK-type game and idiot-proof some of the calculations (work it into the existing system) there are several graphic-based games already out there that do that admirably.

So it really, again, depends on the direction people would want to take this. I also favor D&D, sandbox type games if you want the story to be a focal point, but that could get very complex fast I would think. (Not a coder, but the more freedom players have the more complex it would seem to be.)
  • something clicker based would be simple start
  • You could also do a game of war/clash of clans clone with sk theme just to get something done.
  • ^ good ideas imo
    Mobile/tablet or pc?
  • I don't know much about the programming side of things, but what do you guys that have made games before use? Flash? Javascript? Unity?
    Unity's the most versatile and can be easily adapted to both mobile markets, as well as attempts at cracking Greenlight, GOG or Desura, as well. You can also get a free license, and the best part is that Unity is as intensive or as light as you want it to be.

I did a little writing/design work on a survival horror metroidvania that stopped production due to time constraints...(as well as a cease and desist on one of our coders by Ubisoft. Thanks, faggots.)

Main point is that our remaining coder still managed to put up a working prototype with placeholder assets in a pretty short amount of time. If you have that covered, I'd look into people that can do art design and modeling, depending on what you want to create. You should decide if you want flat, 2D or 3D, relatively early, so your art guys know what to expect and what your expectations actually will be for this project.

My only other piece of advice is this: get a competent team leader who can push deadlines and make things happen, as ours wasn't as good about cracking the whip or solving interpersonal conflicts as he could have been. This ultimately lead to work tapering off, as some people felt they were putting more effort in than others.

Good luck!
    Mobile/tablet or pc?
    pc to start, then looking into options for mobile tablet, i know sci is good at that mobile/ tablet style designs
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    Meh, I only suggested SK theme because it's what I know everyone here is familiar with and can relate to in one way or another. Can easily be changed to any other theme if it's just not viable or if it incurs the wrath of Bcart (even though it would likely just be a non-profit hobby thing... like a fan fic lawl).
  • I'm only good at writing saucy playboy letters

"It my first round back, and of all those familiar faces I saw, it was Rohan that caught my eye. Sure, it was awkward at first, it being so long and our history long since buried, but I could see in his eyes I still meant something to him."

$5 for the next part
    You can't escape the sight of multiple terrains, forest and wilderness and desert wasteland. You chatted with Rohan and you were convince that this is still the same Volcanic Inferno that you left.

Trolls, transmogrants, bots are lying around, waiting to be use. Some new faces, with unknown powers, cheering and welcoming your arrival.
    You have a really bad feeling about this, but Trollhan has been very convincing.

You realize that there are ghost of the past, trying to haunt you down, but not here. The ambiance was the same, smelly, musky, and the ground shakes as you walk by. Some old faces, some new faces, some without ones. Mysterious indeed. You settled on your usual Oceanic fortress, with a defensive capacity known to the settlers.

~cookies for next part~
  • clash of clans sk based would be pretty cool, though i dont have much of an idea what the game is :-p
  • How about a game where each player is a god of their own planet, and tries to conquer other gods/planets. Different planet types, advantages disadvantages. Could launch what you attack with [offense] and have side-scrolling 2D touch-to-shoot vs the other planet's military. Similar to SK but gives the player the opportunity to beat someone that wouldn't be breakable aka make the land grab value no longer based on static number input.
  • edited December 2014
    I think it was Lovsan that approached me about a month ago about making a game, and the same old thing I see is all talk and little ambition. The idea of us banding together and making a new game is awesome, but it takes a lot of man hours in different areas to get it done. You need to work out the basic concept of the game right through to all the formulas that will be used. Web design/layouts, graphics or 3d artists, php/mysql programmers, html/css/javascript coders for the basic front end, and flash programmers if you want something animated like Clash of Clans. You need a support team that deals with developing the game's manual. It takes a lot of hours of work from people whom already pour their hearts out at an 8-5 job, so ambition and production tend to die off fairly quickly when you have a small group of people working on something so large.
  • XelXel
    edited December 2014
    Well, we can just leave all the formulas to Flaze. He can asian his way through them in less than an hour.

Different artists/coders can just dump resources somewhere and the brains of the project can put them together and make requests. It might end up being a messy mixture of styles, but no one said it had to be perfect and no fun.

It is an SK community collaboration, afterall.
  • Realistically, if we got together to make a game, it wouldn't be anything serious. But as others have pointed out, not much can be expected from a mash-up of people, anyways, regardless how well they know each other. But through the experiment that is SK coming together to produce something at least halfway playable, real game development teams might connect and spin-off, resulting in better (perhaps even profitable) games that came from a small text-based game community.
  • we can do it.

but who wud provide funding :P
  • Funding for what? The only sacrifice here is time. Anyone who doesn't have time to contribute doesn't have to.
  • edited January 2015
    Think of the Linux community.
    None of us are paid, but we happen to have a very strong "problem-solution" oriented mentality, and yes..if we got busy, somebody else will answer the questions.

I think the first step is even having the Bulletin Board to put all ideas, brainstorm all these ideas, take top 3. Then.... pick one from that top 3...or incorporate them all in one awesome game...just too ambitious mind you, but it is doable. Adding the functionalities to one core game.
    So, maybe put a thread here for Game Ideas....Guaranteed trollage but we all know, it is harmless fun.

1.Then...go to the drawing board of what exactly you are looking at.

2. Round up a skeleton group of people: (bean seems to know there what we need, depending on what we come up with #1).
    coders/programmers in the heart of this, but you need artist - story tellers, lay-out artist, and all those who can make style appealing.
    You need a lawyer, or para legal just in case.

I'd volunteers to do social/contacts/negotiating/management. I'll keep all the strings together, and keep the everyone updated for the group progress with one or two person who holds back up, just in case my real life takes over.

3. Now, funding is not needed, but anyone with excess cash who contribute to give pizza and pop to programmers are always welcome.
  • annnd that got about as far as I expected it to.
  • annnd that got about as far as I expected it to.
    +1.
  • Sidebar though, I am making that scroller-type game I did mention that everyone ignored, so there's that.
  • I'd rather have a front bar.
  • damm u guys make ur posts too long
  • seems puppy would rather a picture matching game with no words at all :)
  • Puppy wants candy crush