Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple question

edited November 2014 in General
From the university aptitude test. You have to pick one sentence thats wrong. This question has been a really big issue over here.

Comments

• I think 5 is wrong. An 18% increase from 2% would be 2.36%?

Wait until somebody smarter comes along to answer.
  • It's probably an unintended wording issue :P
  • Is it a fact checking issue? Like one thing is false? Or is one of the sentences not said correctly.
  • One of the five sentences is false and rest are true.

So yes fact checking
  • 4 is the one that's intended to be wrong I'd imagine, wheras 5 is worded so that it could be read how Cory said.
  • OK now that I re-read them #4 isn't true. 53% is not 3times 29%.

I feel like this is a test and I'm failing.
  • Yes 4 is the intended answer but ppl like cory thought 5 was the answer so the establisment acknowledged both as answers. The wording is a bit iffy. Meadows knows her stuff
  • This makes me wish I had some pictures of the ridiculous questions I've seen on Taiwanese exams. I don't think American students would be able to pass at all over here, even disregarding the language barrier. I teach some exam prep classes for the English language certification tests, and they have some tasks even I struggle with. I've seen some really weird riddles offered up as "English" questions, and solving for the answer has nothing to do with English at all, besides being able to read the question.
  • #5 is fine

it says an '18 percent increase "IN THE CATEGORY" of cell phone numbers.

where as if it said just an 18 percent increase from 2006, then it would be wrong.
  • and just fyi

#2 is grammatically wrong, LOL.
  • Yea they put one too many the s.
  • Stupid english.
  • An 18% increase can mean two things in my mind...but whatever. My skimjob first time through that caught my eye first.
  • Yea they put one too many the s.
    no, the too many 'the' just makes it awkward, but that is still grammatically fine
  • Then wats gramatically wrong?
  • An 18% increase can mean two things in my mind...but whatever. My skimjob first time through that caught my eye first.
    Have u ever heard of the expression 'percent point'
  • If they used that same sentence and wrote 900% instead of 18%, would it be wrong?
  • The units are in percent so it makes sense to me as 18 percent but if you think mathematically it really is 900 percent increase. The wording just ambigious...stupid english
  • i don't see why people wud get it wrong

i mean #4 is so blatently wrong. even if 5 were wrong too, 5 at least 'could be right'
  • i don't see why people wud get it wrong

i mean #4 is so blatently wrong. even if 5 were wrong too, 5 at least 'could be right'
  • Hey most of us dont have the privilege of fluent english. And u know some ppl read backwards and read number 5 first and then move on because they thought it was the answer having not read all of the passage...
  • Fair. But any one who read the whole thing would realize 4 is ridiculous lol.
  • edited November 2014
    #2 is wrong.

"Highest of all the catagories"

"Highest of all of the catagories"

That would be correct ;)
  • Nobody mentioned this on the news lol
  • nah that isnt

it is what they stated

learn english fool
  • #5 isnt clearly wrong, anyone who marked that as wrong also thought #4 was right and those people deserve to fail the question...
  • edited November 2014
    nah that isnt

it is what they stated

learn english fool
    Are you telling me that they developed the question stating something is wrong in the sentences when really there wasn't?

That's jewish shit right there...

Edit, nvm, I see it, it's #4 -_-
  • Eh, 5 could've been more clear yeah cause it's true if you're talking an 18% increase of the total surveyed, but not if you're talking an 18% increase of the ones who gave cell phone numbers 6 years ago.

Still, any test proctor (military, GRE, advanced placement, etc.) will tell you to pick the most correct answer, and if you're quibbling over semantics, you've already lost that argument. Not reading all the answers is also not a good excuse.

No 4 is the obvious answer here.
  • I kinda skipped over the middle 3. #4 is absolutely wrong and is the correct choice, I agree with that.