Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SK Public Forums Photo Album

Comments

• I live in Dodge country, so 'twas expected. I raced an sti funnily enough. I give them the edge on the highway but in the city, of the line, they don't stand a chance :D

• They also can't carry anything and that's just not worth it for me
  • I'm a mechanics daughter. Pretty Stang, can't miss it.
    Actually, if you ask me, that's good use of money, a healthy obsession. But then...don't trust me on that, I spent way too much time in the garage...LOL

I'm still into engines and aerodynamics, work contracts lead me there - I was celebrating earlier in November when F-35C Ligthning II have a successful testing launch aboard USS Nimitz. Duh! I'm a geek, nobody cares about fighter planes here, unless its TF.
    i worked with patriot missiles in the army, so i care about fighter planes (mostly on how to shoot them down, but hey!)
    I lived on the USS John C Stennis on and off for 3 years, I care XD

The Nimitz is one of the absolute worst carriers in the fleet though >_>
  • I'm a mechanics daughter. Pretty Stang, can't miss it.
    Actually, if you ask me, that's good use of money, a healthy obsession. But then...don't trust me on that, I spent way too much time in the garage...LOL

I'm still into engines and aerodynamics, work contracts lead me there - I was celebrating earlier in November when F-35C Ligthning II have a successful testing launch aboard USS Nimitz. Duh! I'm a geek, nobody cares about fighter planes here, unless its TF.
    i worked with patriot missiles in the army, so i care about fighter planes (mostly on how to shoot them down, but hey!)
    I lived on the USS John C Stennis on and off for 3 years, I care XD

The Nimitz is one of the absolute worst carriers in the fleet though >_>
    @Shining: The Nimitz is an old carrier, use as a short runway for many fighter planes, 10 years life left I think. I don't know much about it. What's worst about it? Probably, just old perhaps? Stennis is newer and probably have the best facility. What was it like living there? How many ports did you visit?

My friend is stationed in Pearl Harbor-Hickam, an LDO, but he grew up around subs. His dad was submariner and he joke around that haircut inside subs was not fun.

I have never been on board any carrier, my work is mostly engineering side; testing, computer and electronic systems design.

@Azalieo: That is one cool occupation.
  • @LadyAshnod

Hahahahaha. Yeah, the Nimitz is the oldest Nimitz-class Carrier. Go figure. Honestly, I just hate them for the BS I went through because of them. Back in 2010-2011, they left their homeport to come to mine in Bremerton, WA for a shipyard period. Traffic was horrid and the guys trashed the base.

Then, to make it better, they were still not "Mission-ready" after their shipyard period in my homeport so WE were deployed to the Persian Gulf less than a year after our LAST Persian Gulf tour. They pretty much got the year off while we had back-to-back War deployments.

Also, nah, the Stennis was commissioned back in 1995. Our equipment and living spaces were fairly new, but nothing like the new ships they've commissioned these last couple years. The Stennis was in Bremerton, WA, when I was on it...mostly West Pacific/Persian Gulf ports. Pearl Harbor a ton of times, Hong Kong, Sasebo + Yokosuka + Okinawa in JPN, Pusan South Korea, Pattaya Beach Thailand, Singapore, Dubai. The list goes on O_O was pretty fun, though. Also, everything about subs suck. Too small, too cramped, too many months without sunlight, I'd go insane. But I do respect whoever is willing to go down there instead of me XD

And hmph. No kidding. :O I was an IT...the name implies computers but my part of the job was telecommunications. So, satellite communications, circuit testing, point-to-point comms, radio wave frequencies, troubleshooting, etc.

I just wrote a whole wall of text about this...what the actual fuck. Am I missing the Navy??? LOL

• Since this is the Photo thread or w.e. and I just rambled on about it lol...
  • You were in dubai? I was in Abu Dhabi in '10-1. We're you there during that whole Arab spring bullshit?
  • edited December 2014

Since this is the Photo thread or w.e. and I just rambled on about it lol...
    @LadyAshnod

I just wrote a whole wall of text about this...what the actual fuck. Am I missing the Navy??? LOL
    Yes, you do miss the Navy! I bet it was a lot of fun with all the travels.

I never been to Pearl Harbour. Was it as amazing as they said it is?
    I am a civilian contractor and I'm base here in the capital. I like to think I'm a Ninja Assassin sometimes, but that is stretching it.

Have you watch Battleship?
    I think they said the film location was Pearl, and I actually like scenery.

My friends picture looks like that of Liam Neeson in Battleship.
  • @Azalieo Bahrain in September and then Jebel Ali around November iirc...little port town with nothing to do but get drunk xD

But no, thankfully...we were forward deployed from July '11 and we were pretty involved in the uprising but thankfully, by the time we started making our port calls, things had already started settling down ever so slightly lol.

@LadyAshnod eh, I really do miss the Navy. Ah well. That's all it is...I miss the travelling and the lifetime friends. XD and honestly, yes, Pearl Harbor is...well it's hard to explain. It's just an experience. Amazing to look at, in a sort of quiet, somber way. I wanted to go civilian contractor but never looked into it XD you guys get paid so much better than sailors do ;~;

And ya know, sadly, Battleship is like the ONLY Navy-related movie I haven't seen. I CAN say they filmed Transformers 2 on my ship, though =D 2007 WestPac
  • @Shining I notice the pay difference few years back, but we don't have the benefits/pension package deal. I did my own investment/retirement plans, and it is very small compared to that of the military. :(

In the Navy, he told me the package is already made since the day you signed up. So by 55, you retire with comfort and pension. I hope that applies to you and your family.

• Yeah, no...that's basically for lifers. I made the mistake/decision to leave after my first tour of active duty so, although I do have benefits and my GI bills, it's nothing compared to the pension I would've gotten if I retired.

Something is better than nothing, though, lol.
  • Our sister batteries were in bahrain, it was cool but also scary seeing them in our batt chat talking about rioting going on a mile from a 200 million dollar missile defense site.
  • @Azalieo, I always hear the catch phrase, "the boys with their big toys". Is that true?

@Shining: I always thought being in service is very tough and regimented. Do you ever think of coming back or go in another trade? I'm pretty sure they have some accommodations for veterans like you.
    If you go the civilian contract, it would be helpful to get recommendations from your previous Navy Department before you get into the negotiation/contracts. They only honour veterans like you OR those with connections inside. I find it favoritism, but that's the way defense do their business, highly recommended or you are Elon Musk.

My friend -he maybe what you call lifers, now, that sounds ancient..hahaha...he was in 20 year old, straight from Citadel, SC and looking forward to retire in 2 years. I might finally fly to Pearl when that happened, just for the party. LOL
  • I don't understand this thread. There are like 4 pictures
  • edited December 2014
    I don't understand this thread. There are like 4 pictures
    must be more than that.
    We have 20.

1. Azalieo
    2. CoryNewb
    3. CountDankula
    4. FeedMe
    5. Flazer
    6. Gentlemansfury
    7. Ghosted
    8. HolyKingdomSK
    9. Kingkent
    10. Arson
    11. Mages
    12. Marian Knight
    13. Mustafars-Daughter
    14. Prosnow
    15. Rohan Castle
    16. Robtomo
    17. Smithsk16
    18. Tmonsta
    19. Unreliable
    20. Ashnod

• @Ashnod you CAF?
    @Crash
    no, civilian

• I don't understand this thread. There are like 4 pictures
    Less bs more pics
  • the pix area in other threads, pfs are messed up like this always.
  • This is a tribute to this round. Fenris vs Lumberjacks.
  • can you put all those 20 pics in one or two post @Lovsan?
  • This is a tribute to this round. Fenris vs Lumberjacks.
    Not a lumberjack at all carl lol! maybe duck dynasty
  • The lumberjacks are good looking studs, okay where are your pictures?
  • my pictures are on facebook :) tho.. i've already posted a few.. no one wants to see my cats and dog over and over again, or my car.. and my mug isnt that great to look at so............ huzah!
  • I meant Carl up there. Did not see his pic.
  • edited December 2014
    My personal favorite place in the world with my pup earlier today.
  • My personal favorite place in the world with my pup earlier today.
    Stanley Park?
  • Definitely Stanley Park is top 5 for sure.

This place is so amazing cause it is so close to where I live and 45 minutes from civilization but no one basically knows it exists.
  • edited December 2014
    So, this is not stanley park?

Hmm...Few places I been too.
    Kitsilano
    Deep Cove
    Cypress Hill

Tsawwassen - its hard to spell, but definitely worth the drive.