Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Books for you zeal

edited April 2014 in General
So your never on aim ( or im never on aim) and I have a new series for you- The Dresden Files. I've tore it up, averaging like 1 book every other day. They arnt long, and for the most part follow 1 main character- but they are really good.

That's all.

Comments

• I second this. It's a fast paced, easy, but exciting read. It's influenced by my favorite series (The Chronicles of Amber, which you should also read).

Warning: I think every single chapter in every Dresden book ends on a mini cliffhanger hook to keep reading. Plan to just read books start to finish :P

Also, there was a 1 season show based on the series... it was ok.
  • Havent opened AIM in awhile, no desire to really.

Still got 4 books left in Malazan, then I will take a long hiatus from fantasy. Going to start reading some other shit.
  • I know most of you will be so surprised by this, but I've greatly enjoyed reading Jim Henson's Biography.
  • I just finished book 2 of Malazan.

To note, The Malazan books are also influenced by The Chronicles of Amber :P
  • Hmm, I may pick that up :)
  • Star force series by b.v. larson. Or king killer chronicles by Pat rothfuss
  • Kingkiller is solid im just waiting on book3
  • The Bible
    -Tyrone
  • yea, i'm relatively new to that genre and it got me hooked. The first person style is awesome. Star Force series - good military sci-fi.
  • I've heard good things about Dresden Files. I approve.
  • Ya hearthy- check out the stormlight archive by brandon Sanderson, its also very good, if you like king killer you'll probably like it.

Just finished book 14 of TDF- it was good. Really enjoyed it so far
  • First Person viewpoint by authors is a cop out, I hate hate hate hate hate first person books.
  • First Person viewpoint by authors is a cop out, I hate hate hate hate hate first person books.
    You'd normally be right but Name of the Wind is brilliant. It's got solid writing behind it.
  • edited April 2014
    I've found very few exceptions to the rule. This may be another exception, but many authors use first person as a crutch to cover up their lack of skill. However, I agree with the recommendation for The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love the character Szeth.
  • Yea, you just need to pick up Name of The Wind and see for yourself. Zeal is absolutely correct here.
  • edited April 2014
    I've found very few exceptions to the rule. This may be another exception, but many authors use first person as a crutch to cover up their lack of skill. However, I agree with the recommendation for The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love the character Szeth.
    I know great exceptions, like fiction, normal fiction. Hemingway or Welty or O'Connor, etc.

Maybe not O'conner. Bradbury or Rand instead.
  • I've found very few exceptions to the rule. This may be another exception, but many authors use first person as a crutch to cover up their lack of skill. However, I agree with the recommendation for The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love the character Szeth.
    The Chronicles of Amber is surprisingly in depth world for first person. The Vlad Taltos Series (influenced by TCoA) is also pretty good for first person. However, both those authors write third person books as well.

Also, when Brandon Sanderson replied to one of my fan emails, he told me that if I want to be a writer, to either write first person, or very very good limited third person.

• I've found very few exceptions to the rule. This may be another exception, but many authors use first person as a crutch to cover up their lack of skill. However, I agree with the recommendation for The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love the character Szeth.
    The Chronicles of Amber is surprisingly in depth world for first person. The Vlad Taltos Series (influenced by TCoA) is also pretty good for first person. However, both those authors write third person books as well.

Also, when Brandon Sanderson replied to one of my fan emails, he told me that if I want to be a writer, to either write first person, or very very good limited third person.

I currently write in first person. I must say it is easier writing this way and helps you learn your characters better.
  • Oh, first person is much easier, that's why it's a crutch for untalented writers.
  • Oh, first person is much easier, that's why it's a crutch for untalented writers.
    But I wouldn't say that that means it's inherently bad.

From what I've read though, it seems to me the best first person writers are the one that have the skill to write decent third person as well. They just think about their worlds in more detail, then are able to use first person to explore it in an enjoyable way.

The problem is we have all these people who want to write a story, but since they are doing first person, don't bother developing the world in which they're writing past what they need for the character's perspective. Leaving the story feeling kind of hollow, even when complete.

The Dresden Files books mentioned earlier feel kind of like this for the first 2-3 books, but after that you start to get the sense that he has a much more fleshed out world in his head at that point.

The Chronicles of Amber series starts out in a convoluted world, where there seems to be a lot of other stuff going on. But Zelazny has experience writing good (although really weird) third person, so that's to be expected. Same with Steven Brust and the Vlad Taltos Series to a lesser extent.

It's when you look at books like The Hunger Games, or the Divergent series, where you really see the "oh you don't know how to create an interesting world, just an ok story" problem. As far as I know, neither of those authors has written anything else?

Anyway, tldr; version: Bad first person can get published easier, but that doesn't mean good first person doesn't exist.
  • For long term series i find a robust world is needed.... however if the books aren't connected id rather read a good story
  • I do agree there are examples of good first person, however, I still prefer good 3rd person over good 1st person any day of the week.
  • I do agree there are examples of good first person, however, I still prefer good 3rd person over good 1st person any day of the week.
    I cant explain it, Im no book guru. Try Name of the Wind, if you're disappointed I'll be highly surprised. Nothing about it seems amateuresque? Seems more like a masterpiece the author worked on for years.

Stormlight 1 & 2 were excellent. I very much enjoyed the first 5 books of Malazan, 25% done midnight tides and i think i will skip it. I dont seem to give any fucks for the Tiste Edur.
    I can understand that. While my favorite series is first person, i think my next three favorite are third person

I cant explain it, Im no book guru. Try Name of the Wind, if you're disappointed I'll be highly surprised. Nothing about it seems amateuresque? Seems more like a masterpiece the author worked on for years.

Stormlight 1 & 2 were excellent. I very much enjoyed the first 5 books of Malazan, 25% done midnight tides and i think i will skip it. I dont seem to give any fucks for the Tiste Edur.
    Midnight tides was hard for me two- a few tidbits here and there are the only thing that kept me going. And tehol ( I think that was his name)
  • Twilight OP
  • Twilight OP
    The 50 Shades of Gray remix is pretty good too.