Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATTN: Ixta

edited January 2014 in General
I'm reading that bangkok is a mess right now and just wanted to say I hope you are OK. I know you have been mia on SK and the PFs. Let us know how things are going there if you are able.

Comments

• I just want to say, I assume she is OK because things haven't gotten violent, but if it picks up steam, it could get uglier in downtown bangkok.
  • Hope your ok, sorry about the robs
  • Hope your ok, sorry about the robs
    :X me too, kinda
  • CORRY AND IXTA SITTING IN A TREE

K I S S I N G!
  • edited January 2014
    Hey, sorry for confusion. I'm in Taiwan, not Thailand. Things are peaceful here, just some work issues going on + the crappiest internet in the world. But hey, I'm glad to get some confessions on all those robs. :P I just figured it was Mercer again.

It's always Mercer
    Even if he's not playing, it's him.
  • ITT: Ixta uses the inactive strat to find out who robs her. Genius.
  • Lol my bad! Well I'm glad you are well

Also, puppy, : + X is apparently :X

I wanted to be more like :-X as in oops I was robbing her too.
  • I didn't know you lived/worked in Taiwan, what's it like? Have you lived in any other parts of Asia?
  • I didn't know you lived/worked in Taiwan, what's it like? Have you lived in any other parts of Asia?
    She's training a cell of Taiwanese sleeper agents. They are only 7-years old right now, so by the time they mature... Ixta for rank1 of the world.
  • edited January 2014
    So in 5 years.
  • Dang it! Zeality figured out my master plan. >.<

Shhh, don't tell Gagazet, but I'm planning to take over NZ first.
  • @SB:
    Taiwan is cool, I haven't lived anywhere else in Asia (yet) though. I really like it though. Taiwan is a bit more laid back safer than some other countries, I think. All the people I've run into are pretty friendly too. I've been assisted by random strangers numerous times; people pointing me towards the correct platform to be on at the train station, things like that. I've become a habitual customer at a few restaurants/food stands in the town I live in, and I guess the cooks took a liking to me, because if I order the same thing more than a couple times, they'll give me a sample for something different, and drill me on the name, so I can actually order it in the future if I like it. (They know I can't actually read the menu.)

I have been working on learning mandarin, but literacy is an entirely different kettle of fish here. There's some symbols I'm starting to recognize, but even if you recognize one character, it might be part of a 2 or 3 character word, and not mean anything close to what you'd assume. And they don't do spaces between words here, so you might see a string of 14-15 characters as the name of a dish, and not even be sure which ones that are adjacent are supposed to be grouped together.

Translations on menus can be pretty hilarious though, some that I actually have seen are these:
    -Japanese-style hoarfrost descending cow tied ham long-live happy fever
    (I really wanted to try that, but they wouldn't let me, for some reason. I ended up getting curry hot pot instead.)
    -Philippine strength veal Buddhist procedures egg rolls flavor meal
    Sounds delicious, no?

Less dramatic:
    -White liquor roasts the fish steak
    -Fragrance roasts pine slope pork with mushrooms
    (These, you could actually tell what they were.)
  • Dang it! Zeality figured out my master plan. >.<

Shhh, don't tell Gagazet, but I'm planning to take over NZ first.
    :-S
  • I want to eat Taiwanese food!
  • I've been to Taiwan before, its much different from China and other parts of Asia.
    Pros: It's peaceful and less crowded and everyone rides motorbikes instead of cars
    Cons: There is way too much rain lol

Chinese is one of the hardest languages to learn because there's really no pattern to it. As you stated, characters that look alike or are part of other characters could mean completely different things and unlike English, the sound of a word doesn't have anything to do with how its written. In the end, it all comes down to memorization. Also, spoken Chinese can get very confusing too due to all the tones (4 for Mandarin, 6 for Cantonese) and words that sound alike can mean completely different things.

And lol I bet they grabbed those straight off of google translate. Google translate is shit for Chinese and even worse for Korean.
  • Amusing thing, one of the other teachers here crashed my scooter into a truck just last week, and I took it to a shop to get an estimate, and the dude wrote everything out on a piece of paper with what was wrong and what it would cost to fix, and brought it over to the school for me. I asked one of the Chinese teaching assistants what it said, and she couldn't actually read it either. It was all technical language, and she had never learned them. We asked around the rest of the TAs and no one else in the school could read it. One girl pointed to one symbol, and said that it meant mirror, but that's the only one she recognized. (And then it turned out that it didn't actually mean mirror after all.)

I ended up having one of them go to the shop with me, so the dude could point out the various bits.

Rain is dependent on season by the way, and also location. Taipei is always rainy. The south is rainy in the summer, but dry and very pleasant in the fall and winter. And by fall, I mean, come in like, November, because that's when it starts to cool off finally.

And Cory, if you want to try Taiwanese food, I'll send you some duck heads and pig blood cake. they're both pretty popular. :P
  • Again sorry sir for teh robs
  • Blood sausage is so damn good in the UK. I'd love to try pig's blood.
  • blood sausage...

its called black pudding you seppo
  • Oh Taiwan, my best friends family is from there. Her name is Pi-Chi lol
  • Black pudding is black pudding in the uk lol
  • Yeah, the Chinese language is designed for limited literacy and even today, many people will not be able to read the technical terms not pertaining to their profession as you experienced. It's not like English where you can chop a long word up into parts and use context clues to guess it. If you don't know it, you don't know it.

When I went to Taiwan over the summer, it was literally raining every day. I was mostly in Taipei and Kaohsiung though.
  • Yeah, I'm up by Tainan, and the summer weather was pretty amusing for me. The rain seemed like it was practically scheduled. Every morning, we'd have a summer sky, and then roughly 1-3 o'clock, it'd start to rain, and rain until about 9 or so, and then stop. Then during the night, it'd pick up again. If I went to work before 2 and came home after 9, I was usually able to avoid having to ride in the rain.

Were you on vacation here?
  • Ixta **==
  • There isn't any Taiwanese restaurants in metro Detroit as far as I know. I also want to try Vietnamese food, but my wife isn't as adventurous as I am when it comes to food.
  • Amusing thing, one of the other teachers here crashed my scooter into a truck just last week, and I took it to a shop to get an estimate, and the dude wrote everything out on a piece of paper with what was wrong and what it would cost to fix, and brought it over to the school for me. I asked one of the Chinese teaching assistants what it said, and she couldn't actually read it either. It was all technical language, and she had never learned them. We asked around the rest of the TAs and no one else in the school could read it. One girl pointed to one symbol, and said that it meant mirror, but that's the only one she recognized. (And then it turned out that it didn't actually mean mirror after all.)

I ended up having one of them go to the shop with me, so the dude could point out the various bits.

Rain is dependent on season by the way, and also location. Taipei is always rainy. The south is rainy in the summer, but dry and very pleasant in the fall and winter. And by fall, I mean, come in like, November, because that's when it starts to cool off finally.

And Cory, if you want to try Taiwanese food, I'll send you some duck heads and pig blood cake. they're both pretty popular. :P
    OH DEAR GOD PLEASE SEND ME PIG BLOOD CAKE IXTA!
  • Yea the rain did seem scheduled for me too, felt like it was working against me. It was annoying because when you're on vacation, the best time to do stuff is usually mid-day and that's when it rains. Other than that, Taiwan is a nice place.
  • There isn't any Taiwanese restaurants in metro Detroit as far as I know. I also want to try Vietnamese food, but my wife isn't as adventurous as I am when it comes to food.
    Taiwanese food = Chinese food

• OH DEAR GOD PLEASE SEND ME PIG BLOOD CAKE IXTA!
    If I thought it'd be allowed through customs + still be edible upon arrival, I probably would. :P