Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

L.A. hates homeless people

edited December 2013 in General

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/please-dont-feed-the-homeless
As the number of homeless people in Los Angeles County continues to rise, the City Council is weighing a ban on feeding homeless people in public areas.

City Council members Tom LaBonge and Mitch O’Farrell, both Democrats, introduced the resolution after complaints from Los Angeles residents. Arguing that meal lines should be moved indoors, the legislators said the proposal would benefit both the homeless and residential neighborhoods.

Actor Alexander Polinsky is one Los Angeles resident who complained about the number of homeless people crowding his neighborhood.

“If you give out free food on the street with no other services to deal with the collateral damage, you get hundreds of people beginning to squat,” Polinsky toldThe New York Times. “They are living in my bushes and they are living in my next door neighbor’s crawl spaces. We have a neighborhood which now seems like a mental ward.”

“This has overwhelmed what is a residential neighborhood,” Council member LaBonge said. ”When dinner is served, everybody comes and it’s kind of a free-for-all.”

But advocates for the homeless say public officials are attempting to legislate the poor into invisibility instead of helping those in need.

“It’s a common but misguided tactic to drive homeless people out of downtown areas,” Jerry Jones, the executive director of the National Coalition of the Homeless, said toThe New York Times.

“This is an attempt to make difficult problems disappear,” said Jones. “It’s both callous and ineffective.”

While homelessness in the U.S. has dropped for the fourth straight year, falling 4% in the past year, some cities, including Los Angeles, have seen a spike in homelessness. The homeless population in Los Angeles is the second highest in the country, following New York City. Los Angeles County’s homeless population rose 15% from 2011 to 2013, to nearly 53,800 individuals, according to a report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development released last week.

Los Angeles would join “dozens of cities in recent years” including Philadelphia, Raleigh, N.C., and Orlando, Fla. that have either enacted or at least debated legislation aimed at regulating the public feeding of the homeless. Over 50 cities have previously adopted some kind of anti-camping or anti-food-sharing laws, according to the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty.

In March of 2011, Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter announced the ban on serving food in public parks, he said moving such services indoors was part of an effort to raise standards for the homeless. The ban was temporarily blocked by a federal court in July 2012 after homeless advocacy groups sued the city.

“It hardly needs to be said that plaintiffs’ food-sharing programs benefit the public interest,” Federal Judge William Yohn Jr. wrote in his opinion. “Despite [the city’s] considerable efforts, many Philadelphians remain homeless and hungry.”

In Orlando, Fla. a federal appeals court unanimously ruled in 2011 that the city can restrict the feeding of the homeless in order to protect the parks. A spokesperson for the city said that residents and business owners originally complained about trash left after the food distribution, public urination and concerns about crime.

The court decision states, “The City of Orlando enacted the ordinance to spread the burden that feedings of large groups have on parks and their surrounding neighborhoods.”

City officials were then allowed to enforce an ordinance restricting weekly feeding of the homeless in downtown parks.
TL;DR dont feed poor people.

Comments

• I must be callous I don't see a problem with moving food lines and what not inside, its easier to regulate and its healthier.
  • More like who doesn't hate homeless people amirite
  • This is what happens in a heavily democrat state... ZING!
  • ^^^
    Go red.
  • This is what happens in a heavily democrat state... ZING!
    (waits for the republican arnold jokes)
  • What about Hawaii where one official is busting Homeless Peoples Shopping Carts with a bat
  • I must be callous I don't see a problem with moving food lines and what not inside, its easier to regulate and its healthier.
    and if the people who are trying to feed the homeless do not have a building that can hold all the people they are trying to help? i mean do you know how hard it is to get a building fire coded in most cities? and then you have to have a food handlers certification if you are in a building, which of course costs money that most volunteers actually dont have, not to mention time that most of them will simply not spend because who really has that anymore?
  • edited December 2013
    What about Hawaii where one official is busting Homeless Peoples Shopping Carts with a bat
    Hawaii is effing paradise. If I had to be homeless I would be it there, who cares about my shopping cart.
  • edited December 2013
    I must be callous I don't see a problem with moving food lines and what not inside, its easier to regulate and its healthier.
    and if the people who are trying to feed the homeless do not have a building that can hold all the people they are trying to help? i mean do you know how hard it is to get a building fire coded in most cities? and then you have to have a food handlers certification if you are in a building, which of course costs money that most volunteers actually dont have, not to mention time that most of them will simply not spend because who really has that anymore?
    Its like feeding the bears at a national park. Don't do it because then they keep coming back and don't hunt for their own food.
  • edited December 2013
    when speaking to other travellers while overseas they told me how they feel bad for the homeless and always make sure to give them a few dollars

I was shocked. Do people actually give the homeless money?

I'd rather my money goto a charity where I know it's atleast working towards the problem itself
  • Except most charities only use 20 cents out of every dollar on the actual problem. A lot of the heads of these charities are paid a salary in line with CEOs of major companies. 130k+ yearly.
  • Which is why I don't give money to any charity that doesn't clearly state that no money from donations is used on any kinds of wages for anyone working there.
  • Except most charities only use 20 cents out of every dollar on the actual problem. A lot of the heads of these charities are paid a salary in line with CEOs of major companies. 130k+ yearly.
    there are charities out there with good intentions

the internet is at your disposal. most are obliged to report their spendings for tax purproses

make informed decisions

dont you work for a charity pie?
    What craphole company only pays their CEO 130k?
  • edited December 2013
    Except most charities only use 20 cents out of every dollar on the actual problem. A lot of the heads of these charities are paid a salary in line with CEOs of major companies. 130k+ yearly.
    What craphole company only pays their CEO 130k?
    none in Switzerland apparently B-)
  • Lol neg

Yeah I can't stand charity's with 50%+ overhead. Its redunk. I understand there are costs associated, but I prefer to give items that can actually be used and donated for cash value (clothes, toilet paper, baby wipes, kids books, etc.)
  • Well I used to work in Santa Monica, CA (just south of LA) where the homeless population is HUGE! I think there was a statistic that said something like 7 million people visit Santa Monica each year. Most of these people are foreign (not to insult foreign people) and they love to give money to the homeless. The homeless were seriously everywhere and despite Santa Monica adopting a homeless friendly environment (there were maybe 5 homeless shelters and a bunch of food dispensary places for them) they still flocked to the Pier and right infront of Mcdonalds waiting for people to give them money. I worked at the hotel across the street and so you can imagine my guests disgust at coming to such a nice place and seeing such trash outside. I'm all for this ban!

• edited December 2013
    Santa Monica wouldnt be a bad place to be homeless...I cant imagine being homeless in NYC tho...

So what do they plan on doing with the homeless in LA? Just leave them in skid row and let them kill each other for food?
  • Actually I know more than most about what it takes to run these types of places. I worked and help ran a homeless shelter/food bank and kitchen in Atlanta Georgia for about 4 years while I was doing my bachelors in nearby college.

Sure its hard, but its healthier for the homeless if they have a building where actual hot meals can be served and where health codes can be followed. Also there are plenty of government subsidies for these types of places, or you could get the backing of a religious organization and they will probably fit most of the bills.

There are plenty of alternatives than just having an open air handout of probably what amounts to sandwiches. While I come across as a bit bad I just understand what it takes and the rules you have to follow or get around.
  • edited December 2013
    I'll happily go and buy a homeless person something from McD's but I'd never give them cash. Aside from that fact that the money is better given to a charity, you just know it's going on a bottle of liquor rather than sustenance. Do I blame them for drinking themselves into a stupor when their lives are that fucked? No, but I won't help them make it worse

EDIT: I'm with Ian on the subject of food banks, I'm coordinating volunteers for one close to where I live. Although it's easier to give food to starving people who can actually prepare it rather than homeless I guess
  • Ive always been a believer that homeless folks need to be sent to work. The vast majority of us provide a service or a skill to society and we get food/shelter in return. The same should apply for them.

Theres that one prison I keep hearing about in theUS where its like a giant outdoor camp... way cheaper to run. You don't need to pay them minimum wage, just give them shelter&food in return for work.
  • Ive always been a believer that homeless folks need to be sent to work. The vast majority of us provide a service or a skill to society and we get food/shelter in return. The same should apply for them.

Theres that one prison I keep hearing about in theUS where its like a giant outdoor camp... way cheaper to run. You don't need to pay them minimum wage, just give them shelter&food in return for work.
    In some prisons in the UK, every prisoner has to have a job of somekind while they are serving their sentence and I don't understand why this isn't a case for all of them. The prison in Brixton actually has a restaurant on the prison site where most of the staff are convicted prisoners I believe. It's meant to be good eats as well

Pssssh, instead of giving them work or training, we pay for them to watch TV, lift weights, play sports, and do drugs (ok we don't pay for the last one, but that doesn't stop them).
  • wow this went full retard fast
  • wow this went full retard fast
    you have quite the pop culture reference repertoire don't you?
  • Yep real discussion on this forum equates full retard!

But on a serious note, I am not against things like chuck wagons or sandwich handouts because I do know that there are some homeless that are totally unable or unwilling to come to a shelter or other centers. Its just safer and better for the people if they come to the buildings to be taken care of
  • Yep real discussion on this forum equates full retard!

But on a serious note, I am not against things like chuck wagons or sandwich handouts because I do know that there are some homeless that are totally unable or unwilling to come to a shelter or other centers. Its just safer and better for the people if they come to the buildings to be taken care of
    We often donate to a "safe haven" sort of local place because a bunch of people we work with volunteer there. They taken in abused women and children (mostly) and feed/shelter some of the local homeless people. Minimum overhead. 100% volunteer.
  • Yep local charities are great most of what you donate goes directly to overhead and food costs. they are normally 100% volunteer even the people who run it, though its always great to be safe and research first
  • edited December 2013
    Work will set you free