Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A WW / Mafia layout

edited October 2013 in General
These ideas were just popping into my head and I thought them worthwhile posting.
It's a mafia layout with dirty cops and politics involved.

Mafia Roles
The Don - Can accept one new person into the family per game.
The Consiglieri - Can spy on a person's role per night
Cappo - Can pinpoint who to kill during daytime
Buttonman - Can do 1 solo kill a night or charge rent

When someone from the mafia dies, the powers they had go to the person above in rank; If the Don dies the consiglieri becomes the new Don

Cop Roles
Captain - Can accept one new person into the Police force during the game
Detective - Can spy on a person's role per night
Sargent - Can arrest one person for the night - this person won't be allowed any night action or to vote during the day
Guard - Can protect one person from murder a night, possibly dieing while doing so

Bribing - No mafia game would be complete without briberies. Cops can take briberies and in so doing become dirty cops. You can either buy a cops service, using his nighttime power or you can buy his daytime vote. A cop can choose to accept or decline. When bribing one of the mafia members will have to reveal themselves. If the mafia has not yet killed, they can choose to kill the person they bribed at the end of the night.
Civilians can be bribed our bought too. When the mafia comes for a civilian they will ask for the rent; If the civilian is able to pay the rent they won't have to sell out their services or votes to the mafia.

Civilian and Political Roles
The Mayor - Gets two votes in case of a tie and can order prisioners to be release from jail.
The Investor - Can buy services from people. Can not be bribed, but will give the mafia double the money when they order his services.
The Private Investigator - Can view one person's role a night.
The Assassin - Can kill one person a night

More on bribing - The mafia can only bribe if they have the money to do so - for this they must charge rent (protection money) from civilians. If the mafia does not have the money to bribe, they can still frighten people into complying.

Joining the cops or mafia - Unlike in most other versions, the person has to join the ranks out of their own free will and the Captain or the Don have to accept it on the same night. The Mafia can use this to infiltrate the cops and vice-versa.

----
I know there's a Angels vs Demons going on, but what do you guys think of this? I'll probably run this version either in PFs or AFs next round :)

Comments

• This is interesting. I'd be down. You probably need to elaborate on bribing and money. What can civilians/cops do with money besides give it to Mafia members when being bribed or forced to pay rent? Money has to have some value to other groups.

It seems a little favored towards Mafia at this point.
  • I vote you run it on the PFs :) It'd be nice for me to play one instead of run one. The money thing might need more elaboration. How much do you start with? Can you earn more? Can it be traded outside of demanded bribes? What value does money actually have? Why should anyone accept a bribe? etc.

Also, I don't think I understand Cappo.
  • Sounds like u charge rent as nighttime role to get money.
  • mafia charges rent, but how much money do civilians have?
    If the civilian is able to pay the rent they won't have to sell out their services or votes to the mafia.
    And can civilians get more is what I was going for.

Also....
    More on bribing - The mafia can only bribe if they have the money to do so - for this they must charge rent (protection money) from civilians. If the mafia does not have the money to bribe, they can still frighten people into complying.
    This seems contradictory? Mafia must have money, but if they don't, they can still frighten people into doing it anyway, so money is not really required?
  • It may require a little tweaking. I only briefly read it over. Perhaps the non-mafia get a set income for their roles? May get a little complicated.
  • Heh, the concept of money I'd be keeping as simple as possible;
    Only the investor has money; He is the ONLY ONE who has money.
    The investor can then buy anyone's service once a night, therefore earning that person money, or he can buy votes. Money is not divisible, meaning the investor always pays the same.

When the mafia attacks, if the person being attacked has money, they can pay their rent / pay the mafia for protection which then ends in them not being killed.

When the mafia wishes to purchase a cops service, possibly to use an extra spy skill or to make sure the guard is protecting the wrong person, they need money.

Money guarantees a person's life. If no rent was payed, the mafia can use the person's services and skill kill them if they so choose.

One important thing to notice is that for this negotiation to happen, one of the mafia people has to reveal themselves to whomever they are negotiating with, which could give a valuable advantage to the citizens.
  • Might not be 100% balanced, but we can find out and give it a try.
  • new ideas are always cool!
  • this game idea is flawed because if you'd seen the movie LA confidential then you'd realise that SPOILER:the captain can be the don
  • how much money does the investor have? Can he just buy all the votes?

what' to stop mafia from demanding rent from the same person every single night in order to utilize that person's role forever? Like say, the assassin... That could be game breaking maybe.

And with cop bribing... Cops learn mafia person regardless of if they accept the bribe or not?

Although... with this rule in play:
    If the mafia has not yet killed, they can choose to kill the person they bribed at the end of the night.
    I'm not sure if it's worth it to ever accept a bribe. All that info won't do anyone much good if they make a habit out of killing each bribe-victim the same night you bribe them and use their power, which is what I'd do. :P
  • So is this an In or out idea?

cause if some I'll be in.
  • Ah yes, well the investor can only invest once a night, and he only buys one vote, meaning the next day's vote.

As for the example with the assassin, he could easily enough deny the service and kill the mafia person who asked him to do the service, for the good of the community. The investor could also find the assassin and hire him, making it possible to kill one of the mafia that way and give the assassin enough money to pay off the mob.

And yes, the cops would learn it either way, therefore making it a big risk to bribe a cop, most likely ending in the cop being killed unless he is protected.

But now that things come to light, it'd also be important to make sure the cops can earn money other than by the investor.

As for killing the one whom you bribed, it might not be the best strategy at every turn as the mafia might find a use for this person later on.

It does need some more thinking and tweaking, but its sounding more and more fun to me :p